ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Armstrong

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
when the Spiders face Virginia on September 3 will Armstrong be the best college QB Richmond has faced in the FCS era, or for that matter, post WWII?

my memory gets worse and worse every year, but Joe Flacco of Delaware is the only QB I can remember that we've played who went on to a stellar pro career...

am I forgetting anyone?

Go Spiders!

Charlie Whitehurst of Furman. Not stellar, but seven years is a long time in the NFL.

Didn't we play against the UVa QB (Brooks?) who played in the NFL?

Reactions: whampas
thanks for helping me out...

Whampas: I thought about Vanderbilt and knew we played them, but totally forgot about Cutler...further research shows he had one game against us in 2005...28-40-3 TDs 263 yards 0 INTs in 37-13 Commodores win

Counter: thought about Gannon too, but thought he came along before we began playing the Chickens again in 1986...I couldn't find a box score, but Gannon probably played in our 20-19 loss in 1986

Wood: I remember the name Whitehurst, but my research shows he played at Clemson and the Spiders record book does not show us ever playing the Tigers...he was at Clemson from 2002-2005

another great opposing college QB I thought of was that damn Armanti Edwards of App St. I don't even want to think about that guy!

Go Spiders!

Wood: I remember the name Whitehurst, but my research shows he played at Clemson and the Spiders record book does not show us ever playing the Tigers...he was at Clemson from 2002-2005

I meant his father, David Whitehurst, who played at Furman from 1973-76 and then in the NFL. My bad.

Reactions: mojo-spider

I meant his father, David Whitehurst, who played at Furman from 1973-76 and then in the NFL. My bad.
Ha! No problem...I forgot to check on Aaron Brooks from UVA...you were correct the Spiders faced him in 1997, losing 26-7 in Jim Reid's 3rd season.

Spiders won three out of four versus the Paladins from 73-76...included was a tough 20-17 UR victory by our best ever 1-A team, the 1973 Spiders. It was the 4th game of the season at Greenville. we had won our first three over Davidson, VMI and Wake Forest by a combined score of 117-0!

Go Spiders!

"by our best ever 1-A team, the 1973 Spiders"

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

Was a student then. We racked up 5 shutouts in 10 games. The loss to NE Louisiana was baffling. Overconfidence played a major part in my opinion. We were on a roll and didn't take them seriously.

I was at the only other season loss to East Carolina, an away game. East Carolina had a very good team, but they knocked Barty Smith out the game in the first few minutes and the wheels fell off from there.

That was one hell of a team on both sides of the ball.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

Was a student then. We racked up 5 shutouts in 10 games. The loss to NE Louisiana was baffling. Overconfidence played a major part in my opinion. We were on a roll and didn't take them seriously.

I was at the only other season loss to East Carolina, an away game. East Carolina had a very good team, but they knocked Barty Smith out the game in the first few minutes and the wheels fell off from there.

Now Barty Smith was a man among boys. Did great with Packers till his knees went.

Reactions: urfan1
Spiders were ranked 20th nationally in AP poll before the 8-14 debacle against NE Louisiana.

No FCS then so quite the accomplishment for a small, private school.

Yes, Barty was a freaky athlete.

That was a great season. I remember being absolutely trashed at W&M at the final game of the year, wandering around the field after the game searching for a friend from my hometown, who I eventually found and got even more trashed with at his frat house.

A guy from UR who will remain nameless fell off the back EZ bleachers but because he was so wasted he wasn't hurt. We won 23-0 or something and it was our last win in Williamsburg for something like 30 years.

That was a great season. I remember being absolutely trashed at W&M at the final game of the year, wandering around the field after the game searching for a friend from my hometown, who I eventually found and got even more trashed with at his frat house.

A guy from UR who will remain nameless fell off the back EZ bleachers but because he was so wasted he wasn't hurt. We won 23-0 or something and it was our last win in Williamsburg for something like 30 years.
Was that the year we beat WV at their place? Friend of mine said that was such an intimidating and hostile place to play.

Didn't Joe Namath quarterback the Alabama team that beat us 66 - 0? If so, he had a pretty good pro career too.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

KE: made that trip to Greenville also...it was pretty much a disaster as I recall...very windy and entire momentum of game changed when Spiders messed up a punt return and gave the ball to Pirates deep in our territory...I believe star LB Pat Kelly may have been injured in that game too...

Ironic that this great Spiders team did no win the SOCON Championship (ECU did) and missed another trip to the Tangerine Bowl which I think still had the Bowl agreement with the SOCON...those were the days

Go Spiders!

Thanks for the memories Wood...the 1971 and 1973 games on the Reservation were two of the craziest football road trips I can remember...to this day they're the reason I still love going to Cary Field for the games...

I'm not the guy that fell out of the end zone bleachers, but only because of a strong and patient woman...good times!

Go Spiders!

I think in 73 we beat Wake Forest, Southern Miss and then WVU at City Stadium, the crowd for the WVU game was massive (for us), about 22K or so.

The guy who fell out of the bleachers became a respected dentist, but was a bit of a wild man in college. I think he was a Phi Kap or Kappa Sig, I just knew who he was from seeing him at the Refectory and around campus. He wasn't in my social circle of Pikes and KMOAs.

Yeah, great memories.

thanks for helping me out...

Whampas: I thought about Vanderbilt and knew we played them, but totally forgot about Cutler...further research shows he had one game against us in 2005...28-40-3 TDs 263 yards 0 INTs in 37-13 Commodores win

Counter: thought about Gannon too, but thought he came along before we began playing the Chickens again in 1986...I couldn't find a box score, but Gannon probably played in our 20-19 loss in 1986

another great opposing college QB I thought of was that damn Armanti Edwards of App St. I don't even want to think about that guy!

Go Spiders!
The way I remember it (which is usually wrong)...
Gannon had a lot of 50 plus yard punts, and threw three 4th quarter, 4th down, TDs for the win...

Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT