ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Durkin - 2023 Offer

Durkin has picked up new offers from Davidson, Bona, and Chatty in the past few days.

Like the fact he can shoot off the dribble and create shots and has some bounce like Aiden Noyes.
I would think our system or Davidson would be ideal for him.

Reactions: spiderman
Two great options left on the table here between Ball and Durkin. Durkin looks to have great feel for the game, quick release and legit 6'7. Can't go wrong with either of these guys.

As much as I like the athletic 6'9 guy to mix in, the more high hoops IQ 6'7+ shooters you can add the better.

The great thing about Reed too is that he is a 6'8 big body that is not afraid of the dirty work but also highly confident 3 point shooter. Some great options on the table in this class.

I want to see these guys next to Mooney. from the picture with Tanner, I'd say his 6'7" is a serious stretch unless Chris grew a bunch.

Reed's the only one that can play the post. I think we need that to join Quinn for one more year and then Walz. but yeah, I really like Durkin and Ball so if we know we have room then I'd love to get one.

heck, I'd love both but that wouldn't make sense. kids are allowed the covid year if they want it.

Absolutely have to have another big, whether that's a frosh or a transfer. Quinn in last year and Walz isn't enough. If one of those guys goes down, we're in trouble without a third guy to play that role. Sounds like we're all in on Reed, and he seems like a great fit. Maybe a little undersized, but he's got skill.

So that leaves two more slots for non-bigs. Those spots would technically belong Burton and Crabtree if they want them. We all assume Burton will move on, but has he told Mooney that for sure in order to open up that spot now?

If Burton hasn't said for sure, it would still only be a tiny risk to recruit for that slot. Like 95% chance Burton goes, and if not, chances are that someone else will transfer out. If I'm Mooney, I'd have to know for sure that Crabtree is moving on before I took two more guys (plus Reed) at this point though.

Reactions: plydogg
We definitely don't have room for two more guys plus Reed right now. That would be five total for this class. If someone other than Goose, Grace, Tyler, and Crabtree were gone after this year, we would certainly already know about that. And, they would already be gone by now.

Yeah, so can Ball/Durkin really even still be in the mix at all, assuming we get Reed (or hold that spot for another big frosh or transfer)?

ALong the same lines - with the transfer portal now, do you need to hold a scholarship open each season and assume your going to look for kids in the portal? If you give all available spots out to incoming HS kids, then your just hoping one of your own transfers, which might happen as well - but will be interesting to see how UR and other schools handle this as you may need to hold scholarships you would normally give to HS kids in prep for the transfer portal.

I want to see these guys next to Mooney. from the picture with Tanner, I'd say his 6'7" is a serious stretch unless Chris grew a bunch.

Reed's the only one that can play the post. I think we need that to join Quinn for one more year and then Walz. but yeah, I really like Durkin and Ball so if we know we have room then I'd love to get one.

heck, I'd love both but that wouldn't make sense. kids are allowed the covid year if they want it.
Nova over past few years has been successful with just guards and forwards, but excellent athletes and shooters

Reactions: urfan1
ALong the same lines - with the transfer portal now, do you need to hold a scholarship open each season and assume your going to look for kids in the portal? If you give all available spots out to incoming HS kids, then your just hoping one of your own transfers, which might happen as well - but will be interesting to see how UR and other schools handle this as you may need to hold scholarships you would normally give to HS kids in prep for the transfer portal.
Mooney addressed this a bit in his JOC interview the other day, saying that in the past you might have "Plan B" high school kids to fill slots if your initial targets don't pan out, but now maybe you don't do that and just hold the spots until spring for transfers rather than "settling".

On the flip side, in the current environment, you can probably count on a transfer or two (or more) out from your program that will open up additional slots for transfers in.

Yeah, so can Ball/Durkin really even still be in the mix at all, assuming we get Reed (or hold that spot for another big frosh or transfer)?
that was the question I posed on Friday ... on the assumption that Tanner might commit this weekend.
we'll know more if we still host Durkin on 9/9. if not we can assume we're full at the wing.

and yes, we really have to land Reed. if not I think we'll go plan B on the big man spot. he's the only big we're currently in on I believe.

Nova over past few years has been successful with just guards and forwards, but excellent athletes and shooters
well yeah, when you call a 6'8" 260 lb guy a forward then you can just go with forwards upfront. we can call Reed a forward too. but he's a guy who would play our post and we'd run things through him a ton.

we can't have a 6'7" 200 lb guy playing the post.

Mooney addressed this a bit in his JOC interview the other day, saying that in the past you might have "Plan B" high school kids to fill slots if your initial targets don't pan out, but now maybe you don't do that and just hold the spots until spring for transfers rather than "settling".

On the flip side, in the current environment, you can probably count on a transfer or two (or more) out from your program that will open up additional slots for transfers in.
I would normally say you can count on a kid or two transferring out - but I think Mooney is a bit different in this regard, I mean UR was one of the few schools where just about everyone came back for the extra COVID year. He just doesn't seem to get a lot of transfers OUT of the program. Maybe that changes with the popularity of the portal - and if so, then yes - I agree - you likely can count on kids transferring or coaches will start "nudging" kids to transfer out to make room for those coming in.

in the past, Mooney has talked about how he never brought up whether the super seniors were coming back. totally left it to them. and all but Francis came back.

I don't think he'll fill a spot forcing someone out. that's just never been his style. Burton's different. I think we know he's gone. Crabtree ... we just don't know. maybe he's made it clear this is his last year. maybe not.

Even with the Mooney loyalty, we still lose transfers...Wilson and Sal last year, Weir the year before, Wojcik and Verbinskis the year before that.

I agree Mooney won't force anyone out. I'm not sure I 100% believe that the super senior topic was never broached until after the season, but maybe it's true. Either way, at this early point, I'm sure it would be on Crabtree to volunteer that he's not going to come back, not Mooney demanding him to make a decision now.

But if Crabtree leaves and doesn't use his COVID year - that doesn't open up a scholarship right? That extra year doesn't count against the total I thought. I am thinking of your normal transfers - guys like Wilson and Sal- who just decide to leave as underclassmen for their own reasons, and these are not expected departures. Its tough for coaches - cause do you count on unhappy kids to leave AND you have no idea what will be in the transfer, and if any of those players fit your needs or style.

Crabtree not using his Covid year would open a scholarship. we had one year where you could go over 13. that's over.

The extra years do count against the cap now. It was only that first COVID bonus year that they didn't count because teams didn't have time to plan their recruiting accordingly. As of this season, teams need to be back down to 13.

in the past, Mooney has talked about how he never brought up whether the super seniors were coming back. totally left it to them. and all but Francis came back.

I don't think he'll fill a spot forcing someone out. that's just never been his style. Burton's different. I think we know he's gone. Crabtree ... we just don't know. maybe he's made it clear this is his last year. maybe not.
Why is everyone so confidant of Burton's departure? I still don't think he gets drafted, so Europe may await and maybe he wants a grad degree. I have him leaving at about 60%.

I believe you can only enter the draft and get feedback 1 time (unless they changed this rule) - so I would find it hard to believe he put his name in this year, just to get the feedback and see what teams told him - only to wait 2 years to come back out. Whether or not he gets drafted will depend a lot on this year - but I think he has a good enough game even if not drafted to possibly make a roster or at very least get a G-League deal and maybe a call up here and there.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I believe you can only enter the draft and get feedback 1 time (unless they changed this rule) - so I would find it hard to believe he put his name in this year, just to get the feedback and see what teams told him - only to wait 2 years to come back out. Whether or not he gets drafted will depend a lot on this year - but I think he has a good enough game even if not drafted to possibly make a roster or at very least get a G-League deal and maybe a call up here and there.
I think that rule changed a few years ago...you can declare and withdraw multiple times now.

And now, every year older you are, the NBA treats you like damaged goods, they like to draft on potential and younger the better.
100% - if your a 21-22 year old senior in college, you have reached your ceiling. But if your an 18-19 year old sophomore - the sky is the limit. And these super seniors who are like graduating at 23-24 years old - they might as well file for retirement.

Back on track with Durkin here. According to the info out there, should be at Drake for official now, and then on to Richmond for the weekend. Like the looks of his game, seems to really be improving too. Checked Drake board, they have a thread but not much activity nor reports of his visit. Like sman mentioned I believe - thinking a little duplication with Tanner - BUT really like his game, 6'7 shooter with overall game improving - would be very happy to land him. I know we always overhype shooting ability in these recruits, but between the stats and viewing the tape - a class with Durkin, Tanner and Reed I think would be one of the better 3 point shooting hauls we have had in a while. Looking at Randolph, Sal, Zay, etc I know I have not been as high on recent guys. This would be a group with a ton of ability to spread the floor, along with Noyes already here.
FWIW, I hope and still think he is visiting this weekend. We will see.

And another thought, hopefully we land one of Durkin or Ball - think both are legit players - don't want to see both Durkin at Davidson and Ball at GMU for four years. If we miss out, hoping they go outside the A10.

Who is on the Durkin watch for tomorrow??????????????????????????

"Durkin’s progression as a player has been immense. He has grown physically and as a player. He put the work in. In addition to sprouting to a legit 6-6 by the time his senior year began — and now pushing close to 6-7 — he also tightened up and toned his body while improving his conditioning over the past year. He made that a point of emphasis."

"Gauging the confidence level of a player isn’t usually tangible. But the off-the-charts confidence level Durkin is playing with this summer is as tangible as it gets. Every shot he takes you expect to go in.

But his lights-out shooting over the past week is what finally drove Division I coaches to not just want Durkin but to need him.

Shooting is at an absolute premium in basketball today. Durkin has shown to be about as good as it gets. He has a polished mid-range game and is effective with pull-ups. He hits shots from deep and coming off screens. The squaring of his shoulders, the textbook form, and the improved ability to quicken his release against closeouts resonates with college coaches."

We don't want this guy, we NEED him :):):)

Hoping the visit is still on (which confirms we know we have a ship in my mind), and we impress enough that he decides he has found his home prior to going to Davidson.

he does look like a lights out, smooth shooter/scorer. if he's focused on improving his athleticism, he's a steal for someone. can't wait to hear confirmation he's on campus.

Reactions: spider23
Not sure if this is actual knowledge or just going off previously announced plans. Thought the Ball committment today was hinting that we canceled visits for Durkin and Ball, but maybe not.

SF, did you read something that was hinting that we canceled visits, or are you saying that the fact that Ball committed today led you to believe that was a possibility?
No, nothing specific to cancelations. Just that Ball commitment today without waiting for our scheduled visit could mean the UR visit was canceled. Or maybe he just loved Fairfax that much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT