ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Mckillop

712_VT

Starter
Jul 16, 2020
Apparently Bob mckillop is retiring today. Pretty cool we handed him his final loss in the A10 title game. Always a class guy and much respect for him. Hard to believe it was between him and mooney and we chose mooney all those years ago. How different things could have been. It’s really not all that crazy to think Steph Curry could have been a Spider.

Reactions: urfan1
He did get the job, yep. Can anyone think of a situation in which a son replaced his dad as coach of anything major and continued the same high level of achievement?

In fairness I was like 7 when we hired mooney so memory a little foggy.
Then, why post something as fact when you are just guessing? You were so often wrong about our team, but thought you would get on here and take one more jab at us? And, sorry, looks like Tyler didn't transfer to VT like you said he would. LOL.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
He did get the job, yep. Can anyone think of a situation in which a son replaced his dad as coach of anything major and continued the same high level of achievement?
Tony Bennett is a pretty good coach last time I checked.

I’ve posted this many times on here but we could have had mckillop when we hired Wainwright not when we hired Mooney.

when Mooney was hired Mckillops son the new coach now was a rising Davidson senior. Mckillop wanted to coach him his last year. Understandable but bad timing for us. He wasn’t available. But when wainwright was hired he was sr in hs & on way to Davidson in fall.

miller couldn’t close it but it was there for us. Had we got mckillop over wainwright much would be different but it’s all What If.

That's a good one. Probably the exception more than the norm. I expect Davidson will drop down a bit in a couple years.
It's fair to say any coach that replaces him, son or not, would maybe not win as much, but this kind of goes back to my earlier question when comparing Mooney with McKillop. McKillop has not won a tourney game since 2008. If his son gets in there and wins a few NCAA tourney games, maybe Davidson fans are happier with that, even if it means one or two less NCAA tournament appearances, and maybe not quite as many wins overall.

The Drews at Valpo/Baylor.
After that its probably Eddie/Sean Sutton so not much.

Well see how he does at Davidson. He's also an alum of the school and knows it in and out and presumably has a good relationship with the Curry's. I'm not sure I would write them off.

Davidson will be fine at least in the short term. They have a lot of talent left on their roster I believe. Hard to keep it going because of their limitations though. Will always pull for them when they’re not playing us. Easy to root for.

The key to replacing any long term coach - whether its Duke this year or now Davidson is you must keep the momentum going right away. They must have good years immediately after the coach leaves - this tells everyone, including recruits - nothing has changed, we are still good, we are still in the mode of winning and making the tourney. If Davidson can be a top 4 A10 team this upcoming year and do the same next year - then expect to get the same results from Davidson going forward.

The key to replacing any long term coach - whether its Duke this year or now Davidson is you must keep the momentum going right away. They must have good years immediately after the coach leaves - this tells everyone, including recruits - nothing has changed, we are still good, we are still in the mode of winning and making the tourney. If Davidson can be a top 4 A10 team this upcoming year and do the same next year - then expect to get the same results from Davidson going forward.
succeeding with dad's recruits won't prove it to me. he's got to land the same type of talent. and he might. we'll see. but I don't think a recruit will or should give the new coach the same reverance as dad just because he has the same last name. he's got to earn it.

No doubt he has to earn it, but he's also not just walking into dad's situation cold. He's been on that bench for 14 years and recruited a lot of the talent that's there.
yes. that's like any head coach being replaced by an assistant. maybe he's a great recruiter. I don't know. we can be pretty sure Bob's been the closer though.

succeeding with dad's recruits won't prove it to me. he's got to land the same type of talent. and he might. we'll see. but I don't think a recruit will or should give the new coach the same reverance as dad just because he has the same last name. he's got to earn it.
Agreed - but the way you earn it is by winning, and he needs to win RIGHT NOW to keep that momentum going - even if it is with his Dad's players - but really they are his players because as the assistant coach for last 14 years - he likely recruited them more than Dad did. But what can't happen is a .500 season this year and next year - then recruits will think - Davidson is nothing without Dad and it will be an uphill battle.

Since he was on staff for the last decade - I think the transition will be smooth. And I expect Davidson to be the same Davidson it always was.

No doubt he has to earn it, but he's also not just walking into dad's situation cold. He's been on that bench for 14 years and recruited a lot of the talent that's there.
I also think Dad is going to be much more involved during this transition than your average coaching change to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as it possibly could over these next few years. So they have that going for them as well.

Reactions: urfan1
A step back next year seems likely regardless of who is at the helm, though McKillop did always seem to figure out how to reload. But while they get Loyer back and they brought in a couple of decent pieces in the transfer market, they're losing some very important players...Brajkovic, Lee, Jones.

we'll see. Dooley assisted Tarrant for 8 years. that was a smooth transition too.
And that is part my point. Dooley went 14-14 and then 8-20 - first 2 years were downhill. BUT also remember Tarrant was only 15-12 his final year as well.

Davidson won 27 games last year.

Reactions: spiderman
A step back next year seems likely regardless of who is at the helm, though McKillop did always seem to figure out how to reload. But while they get Loyer back and they brought in a couple of decent pieces in the transfer market, they're losing some very important players...Brajkovic, Lee, Jones.
Those are 3 big losses for Davidson. Good players. We'll never forget Jones.

Those are 3 big losses for Davidson. Good players. We'll never forget Jones.
They might take a step back but Davidson really has the record and success we at UR should try to copy. Since entering the A10 - they never had a losing season. The order of post-season appearances goes like this.

NCAA
NIT
Nothing
NCAA
NIT
Nothing
NIT
NCAA

Won A10 and tourney twice in 8 years and finished 4th or better in 5 years.

So not every year is an NCAA year - but most years in top of A10 and most years fighting for NCAA or NIT bid. They don't have long post-season droughts. Go 1 year not making it and get back in again.

They should be the school we try to copy.

So you are predicting CM will retire..............................
20 years from now .... Chris is 70, my mother is 103, I'm in my late 60s and we are all headed over to Robins for the games from Westminster Canterbury .. and yes I am still sitting in Section 9 Row D and Chris is still the coach but considering abdicating to Mooney son #1 or son #2. (by this point, we have made 4 more sweet 16s and of course our amazing Final Four Run in 2025)

Can't believe Kirby Mooney not getting consideration after leading us to an elite 8 and 22 years as lead assistant.
Kirby led us to that final four in '25 as a freshman but only played 2 years for the Spiders before being our 1st lottery pick ... winding down his long and productive NBA career in '42.

Surely Nancy Lieberman played a role somewhere down the line as well right?
yes - Nancy was our AD in the glory years after Hardt returned to his alma mater to resurrect their program after we had eliminated them due to crazy brackets 4 of 5 years in the 20s in the early rounds of the NCAA ...

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT