ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Cosh leaving to become OC at Western Michigan

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
Tell us it ain’t true.

Western Michigan: FootballScoop can confirm that Richmond (FCS - VA) offensive coordinator Billy Cosh will be the new offensive coordinator for the Broncos. Pete Thamel was first to share the news. Sources share that Lance Taylor vetted a number of candidates for the opening the past several days, including Joe Davis who spent last season at Eastern Illinois (FCS).

Last edited:
Did Coach Huesman go to a Chattanooga game during the Spiders bye week?

This is a stocking full of switches!

Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
I'll say what many of us may be thinking: It was no coincidence that after a few years of mucking around under Huesman we were suddenly a legit title contender this year. Russ better find the next Cosh quickly.

Will Healy comes to mind, knew Clawson's offense like the back of his hand after carrying that clip board around for three or four years as backup QB. Players loved him and he turned Austin Peay into a winner before he left. Appeared to be good recruiter at FCS level, I guess not so much at FBS, but I do not know what happened there. He also has already worked for Huesman at UTC, I think he hired him about as soon as he graduated.

Of course, his old contract could have him able to spend plenty of time with his young family for a while, I have no idea on that one.

Just a thought to get the speculation started before we all get to hear who the coach wants to lead his offense next season.

Darn, huge loss. Anyone on his staff that can fill it or do we have to go outside? Healy is intriguing but you have to figure that’s a tough backwards move to take in a career after you’ve been the head guy at both levels - would have to come with an associate HQ title. How long until Russ thinks of riding off into the sunset - just about to turn 63?

Please another coach with a wide open passing game and not that boring rpo college o being seen in these bowl games.
I believe the players would rather play for a passing o where the ball is being evenly distributed and not that boring mess we had previous years.

If a qb run (other than a qb sneak) is in a potential oc’s top 100 plays, please pass on the dude.

Will Healy comes to mind, knew Clawson's offense like the back of his hand after carrying that clip board around for three or four years as backup QB. Players loved him and he turned Austin Peay into a winner before he left. Appeared to be good recruiter at FCS level, I guess not so much at FBS, but I do not know what happened there. He also has already worked for Huesman at UTC, I think he hired him about as soon as he graduated.

Of course, his old contract could have him able to spend plenty of time with his young family for a while, I have no idea on that one.

Just a thought to get the speculation started before we all get to hear who the coach wants to lead his offense next season.
I know he was OC when Jacob H was lighting it up at Chatty. Unfortunately not much of an X's and O's guy he admits himself. Hell of a recruiter so it may not matter at this level. Not a bad hire. Certainly better than Durden. Can slide right into HC when RH decides to retire as well.

Reactions: Mo 2.0
Wish returning but is anyone surprised. It would have been surprising if he was back. The transfer portal for fcs & fbs asst coaches is not new.

When you have good “young” coaches, this is going to happen. Cosh won’t have his own players
to bring into his system.this time. It kind of reminds me when head coaches would hire a high school
coach, to get his star player as a recruit.
I don’t understand the immediate negativity aimed at Huessman, but I suppose that is normal
of some on this site.

I’m not shocked at Cosh moving but didn’t expect to lose him to Western Michigan. Really unfortunate for us. Need a strong hire - hoping for something better than the jelly of the month club under the spider fb tree.

• Haha
Reactions: Mo 2.0
When you have good “young” coaches, this is going to happen. Cosh won’t have his own players
to bring into his system.this time. It kind of reminds me when head coaches would hire a high school
coach, to get his star player as a recruit.
I don’t understand the immediate negativity aimed at Huessman, but I suppose that is normal
of some on this site.
It's not negativity, it's just reality. Russ won nothing here until Cosh arrived with his own guys. It's fair to ask if Russ can win without Cosh.

It's not negativity, it's just reality. Russ won nothing here until Cosh arrived with his own guys. It's fair to ask if Russ can win without Cosh.
Another way of looking at it is, could anyone win with Durden? We're about to find out.

It’s always easy to second guess and speculate. I don’t think we can anoint Cosh as the greatest play caller ever and dismiss Russ completely as he let Durden go and was the one that worked out the deal to get Cosh and Udenski/Herres. Russ also is the one that has led putting together multiple solid recruiting classes and filling gaps with transfers as needed after Rocco left our program trying to destroy it out the door. Many also anointed Rocco as a great coach but ask the Hens how that worked out. The key now becomes getting someone in place quickly that is the right fit to utilize the weapons that are on the roster. I by no means agree with everything Russ does but do believe he knows what it takes to win especially at Richmond. His contacts in the coaching ranks will be important at this point to find our next offensive coordinator.

It’s always easy to second guess and speculate. I don’t think we can anoint Cosh as the greatest play caller ever and dismiss Russ completely as he let Durden go and was the one that worked out the deal to get Cosh and Udenski/Herres. Russ also is the one that has led putting together multiple solid recruiting classes and filling gaps with transfers as needed after Rocco left our program trying to destroy it out the door. Many also anointed Rocco as a great coach but ask the Hens how that worked out. The key now becomes getting someone in place quickly that is the right fit to utilize the weapons that are on the roster. I by no means agree with everything Russ does but do believe he knows what it takes to win especially at Richmond. His contacts in the coaching ranks will be important at this point to find our next offensive coordinator.
Well said!

Good post and as you mentioned Russ did orchestrate the moves that brought in Cosh/Udinski/Herres so he gets major credit there. We all know that Russ isn't an offensive guy so any success we are going to have is going to be contingent on this next hire. We seem to have recruited well and have talent...got to have an offensive guy that has a defined system and can create an offensive identity (I don't think we had that before Cosh) and mesh it with our current roster talent.

Reactions: urfan1
Yeah, why would we want an OC who wants his QB to be like Josh Allen.
For better or worse I think we have to have a qb who can supplement our run game with his legs. We haven't shown the ability to pick up short yardage or goal line tough yards in years (please no more shotgun runs in those situations) and the threat of the QB run plus having extra blockers can really help out the offensive line. I know years of watching Broadus or Mancuso run QB power weren't pleasant but hopefully we can find a qb who is pass first but has the ability to hurt defenses with his legs.

Look how well Streeter has done at Clemson and not much older than Cosh and with UR
bloodlines. Surely there is someone who has learned Cosh or Streeter’s system that may
be interested in a FCS OC position. Don’t need the Durden line.

Reactions: urfan1 and DTSpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT