ADVERTISEMENT

Bill and Mary 7pm Sat Game Thread

Also, can we talk about 57 freaking points? Against a team that had surrendered fewer than 70 all season only twice to D1 programs? There really are not words to describe what kind of pathetic joke of a performance this was. Mooney time and again fails to have his teams prepared. Just disgraceful in every way. Enough!

Also, can we talk about 57 freaking points? Against a team that had surrendered fewer than 70 all season only twice to D1 programs? There really are not words to describe what kind of pathetic joke of a performance this was. Mooney time and again fails to have his teams prepared. Just disgraceful in every way. Enough!
He is a total disaster. This team is 3-5 and with a competent coach would be 7-1. We lose every close game.

Mooney is a total embarrassment. Hw cant get his team confident enough to come out strong, at home, against a CAA team. Wow

Reactions: SpiderK
He has a guy shooting almost 50% from three for the season and manages to get him all of two shots in the entire game, against a garbage program like William and Mary. Like WTF is that? We should beat William and Mary every year we play them. I don't care if we are rolling out five walk-ons, it shouldn't be a game. This is one of the worst losses we have had in recent memory, period.

Last edited:
Mooney is a total embarrassment. Hw cant get his team confident enough to come out strong, at home, against a CAA team. Wow
One minor (very minor) point, we were not at home (Shouldn’t have mattered).

But I am curious how as a season ticket holder who attends every game you wouldn’t know that?

One minor (very minor) point, we were not at home (Shouldn’t have mattered).

But I am curious how as a season ticket holder who attends every game you wouldn’t know that?

Fwiw, maybe nothing & I might have missed it, but I don’t believe fatherspider as ever presented himself as that & instead the opposite, non-local.

Keep rewinding last night’s latest debacle and trying to rationalize a game plan that included deciding to start Roche over Bigelow which I found odd at the time but much less odd that Roche then getting just 2 shots all game, playing 14 minutes, and appearing to be almost forgotten in the 2nd half before the final possession with 20 seconds left. Probably best for me to stop trying to rationalize this however.

Missed it too but seeing up 55-49 with 4 to play thought Spiders had it sealed. I know the players play the game but appears to be Mooney as Not homer states as the usual suspect. Have to be proud of comeback away against even an inferior opponent but WTF!

Missed it too but seeing up 55-49 with 4 to play thought Spiders had it sealed. I know the players play the game but appears to be Mooney as Not homer states as the usual suspect. Have to be proud of comeback away against even an inferior opponent but WTF!
Honestly this game seems like a nightmare. Down by 17 at half. If that doesn’t get a coach fired I don’t know what is. We competed and only lost by a point. So the athletic department pats itself on the back.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I was one of the Spider faithful foolish enough to make the trip to Willamsburg, got home late.

After stewing on it there is just no way under any circumstances we should be losing a game like this. Even if Tyler had gone pro this offseason and we didn't get half the talent that we pulled in out of the transfer portal this should be a win every single time. Somebody needs to be held accountable for this but we all know they won't. The ten days of magic this past March have bought conman Moonie another 5 years worth of getting by. I am sick of it all.

I was one of the Spider faithful foolish enough to make the trip to Willamsburg, got home late.

After stewing on it there is just no way under any circumstances we should be losing a game like this. Even if Tyler had gone pro this offseason and we didn't get half the talent that we pulled in out of the transfer portal this should be a win every single time. Somebody needs to be held accountable for this but we all know they won't. The ten days of magic this past March have bought conman Moonie another 5 years worth of getting by. I am sick of it all.
And to think. You could have spend that money on beer.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
for starters ... I paid the $30. not happy about that decision.

I thought our defense was good again. you just can't score 21 points in a half and hope to win. Burton bounced back from a bad 1st half to put up numbers but we need another guy to score consistently. Nelson doesn't seem ready for that role. and I'm starting to think he's not a shooter. we're so used to having a shooter there.

guess it doesn't matter who starts between Roche and Bigelow, though I'd like to start them both. Bigs still got 25 minutes. he's pretty consitently shooting less of a percentage than I hoped, so I was ok with the switch. he's active though.

I know this bothers some ... we don't run plays. we run an offense. we're not going to "get shots for Roche". assuming we don't change that, this probably isn't the ideal offense for him. we don't have a big inside like Grant that demands a double team.

I know this bothers some ... we don't run plays. we run an offense. we're not going to "get shots for Roche". assuming we don't change that, this probably isn't the ideal offense for him. we don't have a big inside like Grant that demands a double team.
Maybe it's time to put the offense to bed in endgame situations and run some specific plays or sets. Even if it's as simple as a 2 man p&r game. At the very least run hard action to force defense to defend constantly before setting up the action. Though having seen a "play" run at the end of the Syracuse game, maybe I better shut up or rue what I ask for.

And if you run an offense that cannot find looks for a 45% shooter from 3, I'm not a big believer in said offense.

100% agree, brooklyn. At what point do you stop sticking your head in the mud and defiantly saying "We run an offense, not plays for any one guy!" if you are Mooney? Does a 3-5 record that should/could be 7-1 get you there? Who knows, but a good coach would figure it out and not just chalk up these 5 losses as collateral damage in the assimilation process.

Reactions: plydogg
Does a 3-5 record that should/could be 7-1 get you there?

Been covered before I know but this is what is most frustrating to me. Would I prefer to start strong, sustain through the middle of the game, and then finish strong - of course. But basketball is often a game of runs - you can watch almost any game on any given night (pro, college, doesn't matter) and teams (even good ones) will go on extended droughts a couple times each game. So that is not what bothers me the most. To some extent that is normal and expected.

Except for Toledo, Mooney and crew have had us in position to win every game with +/- 5 minutes to go, so scoring droughts or not, the games have been there for the taking. But our down the stretch offense has always been to play tight, play not to lose instead of to win, play safe, eat the clock, etc. I hate that way of playing but I do think that it can still work with a veteran, composed, experienced group that knows how to break an opponents will.

We don't have that right now. We have a group of guys that, while they are fairly experienced as individuals, they have not played together as a group much. We have a freshman point guard who is playing his first games in 2 years, has the expectations (right or wrong) of filling a Spider legend's shoes, and is struggling to play with consistency. We have a trio of transfers that have shone at times but struggled some as well. We don't have a Gilyard, Anderson, type that can control and finish out a game.

So I'll give Mooney credit that he has put together a solid roster and a team that is close. His Achilles heel though continues to be the end of games. If adjustments aren't made quick then things could get really ugly again.

Been covered before I know but this is what is most frustrating to me. Would I prefer to start strong, sustain through the middle of the game, and then finish strong - of course. But basketball is often a game of runs - you can watch almost any game on any given night (pro, college, doesn't matter) and teams (even good ones) will go on extended droughts a couple times each game. So that is not what bothers me the most. To some extent that is normal and expected.

Except for Toledo, Mooney and crew have had us in position to win every game with +/- 5 minutes to go, so scoring droughts or not, the games have been there for the taking. But our down the stretch offense has always been to play tight, play not to lose instead of to win, play safe, eat the clock, etc. I hate that way of playing but I do think that it can still work with a veteran, composed, experienced group that knows how to break an opponents will.

We don't have that right now. We have a group of guys that, while they are fairly experienced as individuals, they have not played together as a group much. We have a freshman point guard who is playing his first games in 2 years, has the expectations (right or wrong) of filling a Spider legend's shoes, and is struggling to play with consistency. We have a trio of transfers that have shone at times but struggled some as well. We don't have a Gilyard, Anderson, type that can control and finish out a game.

So I'll give Mooney credit that he has put together a solid roster and a team that is close. His Achilles heel though continues to be the end of games. If adjustments aren't made quick then things could get really ugly again.
We competed

100% agree, brooklyn. At what point do you stop sticking your head in the mud and defiantly saying "We run an offense, not plays for any one guy!" if you are Mooney? Does a 3-5 record that should/could be 7-1 get you there? Who knows, but a good coach would figure it out and not just chalk up these 5 losses as collateral damage in the assimilation process.
You’re talking two mutually exclusive variables - Mooney and change. We don’t need to write paragraphs about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT