ADVERTISEMENT

Bill and Mary 7pm Sat Game Thread

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Hope many of the fine people on this great forum Rise Up and join my family and I in person on Saturday night in Williamsburg. What can we say but getting back to .500 is better than batting .375 (3/8) …

Our family was going to Willyburg, but we decided to bag that trip tonight.

Williamsburg's Grand Illumination is that night. Great event if you have never experienced it. Expect large crowd in town. Plan accordingly.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Williamsburg's Grand Illumination is that night. Great event if you have never experienced it. Expect large crowd in town. Plan accordingly.
Thx - last weekend honestly was for a second irritated when I realized the game time moved from 2pm to 7pm … but clearly makes sense given the home playoff game they have at 2

Football kicks off at 5PM EST, better hang with Russ and the boys for at least one more week, and I hope this feeling I got is not just gas and this is not the last week. Feel we have a Semi Final caliber team if we get this one. Just the way FCS playoff brackets work sometimes since they are not seeded past the top 8, but Spiders have beaten #2 seeds more than once, and they still play the games to see what will happen.

The games played by both FB and BB to this point this year may as well be years in the past. One at a time and add up the results at the end of the year, is about all either can do, so hope for 1-0 for both Spider teams this Saturday.

You are great fan for Spider BB, hope you, your family and all the other Spider fans that make the trip get a great result and have safe travels.

Following last night, some things to see improvement on, and playes can focus on next game:

Jaynel - Just keep working. From what I have observed, he does have the skill and athletic ability to be that guy. Keep your head up and lay a solid game on W&M.
Burton - Yes, sman, he was a great interview in the offseason but I think he is trying to do too much and take too much of a role - at times. And he is trying to work on parts of his game that will impress scouts. But time to stop thinking so much, focus on strengths, and lead the team by being good in the areas you are good in. Grab every rebound. Don't try to dribble too much and try to back in dribble. Take the open three, do not force it. Simplify the game and you will be the best player on the court most nights.
Quinn - Be strong, make decisive moves, play with confidence and joy. You are good, play with confidence and look to dominate down low. Don't bring the ball down. Rebound.

Defense - After being very impressed so far this season, last night was a big let down. Hopefully just an aberration. We did look great for about five minutes when we were trapping, seemingly stealing every other pass. We need to bring that energy all the time, not just when pressing. As someone noted above, needs to be an all the time thing. I feel like alot better this year, let's get it fixed and bring that energy next game and beyond.

Rebounding - not buying it was not bad b/c missed more shots. It was bad. Saw lack of effort, and lack of toughness.

All fixable things.

You kid…..But we’re going to be saying this in the next 20 years going up to Mason/GW games.
Unless the feds have Musk build a tunnel from the RVA fed to Us Treasury and it is open to public bullet trains...

We might get an unusually larger & raucous W&M crowd tomorrow night. Coming over from their home playoff football game.

Spiders should not be playing these good folk in basketball. Absolutely nothing to be gained by a W and much to lose if a L.
True, but with the divide between the power conferences and the rest growing wider, we have to take what we can get to fill out a full schedule. Easy trip, quick out and back.

Opponent: William & Mary (3-5) --> Preseason 8th in CAA

"Last year, the team won five games total and four in CAA play. They somehow eked out an eighth-place finish in the conference but were quickly ousted from the CAA Tournament. The Tribe should be in line for a better year as the team’s core comes of age. Anders Nelson is an intriguing addition to the program, arriving from St. Thomas, which started its transition to the Division I level last year. He averaged 14.9 points per game as the Tommies joined the Summit League; there are three other graduate transfers also joining William & Mary this season."

Key Results:
  • Radford - W: 62-51 --> Preseason T-6 in Big South
  • Army - W: 76-67 --> Preseason 5th in Patriot
  • Pitt - L: 64-80 --> Preseason 14th in ACC
  • NC State - L: 64-85 --> Preseason 10th in ACC
Team Stats:
  • Points Per Game: 72.8 (177th)
  • Points Allowed Per Game: 70.2 (216th)
  • 2 PT Shooting: 47% (307th)
  • 3 PT Shooting: 39.6% (24th)
  • FT Shooting: 68.4% (231st)
Key Player:

Gabe Dorsey
  • 10.4 PPG (2nd on team)
  • 50% from 3 (1st among starters)
Dorsey is not their highest RPIM player (he's 3rd), but is W&M's equivalent to Roche, and he's heavily utilized. He averages 8 threes attempted per game and makes half of them. As we know, our defense against the 3 has been pretty horrible and we've been burned here. If we stop Dorsey, I think we win this game handily. They don't have a true star, it's a balanced team, so stopping this threat is key. They've faced some tough opposition though, playing 3 ACC opponents, so we can't take them for granted.

RPIM's for William & Mary

PlayerRPIMRPIM/Game
Anders Nelson118.3714.80
Ben Wight115.0214.38
Gabe Dorsey113.4314.18
Noah Collier102.1012.76
Miguel Ayesa52.8110.56
Chris Mullins72.909.11
Jake Milkereit56.678.10
Jack Karasinski59.817.48
Chase Lowe33.304.76
Matteus Case35.014.38
Charlie Williams24.534.09
Tyler Rice20.352.54
Miles Hicks1.450.36

Spiders should not be playing these good folk in basketball. Absolutely nothing to be gained by a W and much to lose if a L.
we can't complain about teams not willing to schedule us if we won't play this kind of game.
it should be a tough atmosphere and a intense game. that's good for us. and a few local games are good for us too. let's just win.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Start slow or downright terrible. right where we want them. Mini run coming by spiders but it won’t be enough again. Seriously how we r preparing the team to be ready at tip-off needs to be reevaluated like yesterday.

A) can’t stomach paying for flohoops
B) glad I made that choice so I don’t have to watch what’s happening

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT