Best way to support the basketball program

Which is better for the program?

• Show up at all games regardless

• Stop showing up to express disapproval

• Increase donations to help the program get better

• Withhold all donations to express disapproval

• No change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There would be almost no impact if the Anti-Mooney posters did not give, because few give currently.

There would be almost no impact if the Anti-Mooney posters did not give, because few give currently.
There are substantial number of people who feel we should move on from Mooney who are season ticket holders. Lots of us still give, buy season tickets, in spite of Mooney, because we still like to support our basketball program and school. We love our school and our love for our school goes beyond the fact that we have a mediocre men's basketball coach.

Truth be told, people like you, people who are so disconnected with reality and worship at the altar of said mediocre coach though, sometime do make it tougher to support UR.

And that my friend is an elitist, blind, conforming attitude not based in fact but opinion and why if they(we) are giving today should stop immediately. All UR is is a clean little program competing with the belief that the deck is stacked against it from an academic perspective and could never, ever compete with the elite programs with out compromising the integrity of the school. Be happy with what you have. Bull shit to that and to everybody that believes it, especially the current let's just all get along administration. 55/45. That's who we are and I'm sick of it. Adios.

Seriously? Why? Because winning the A-10 tourney and beating Iowa in the dance followed by a football playoff win are not good enough for our 2 main sports?
No, my main issue is if we were ever lucky enough to be rid of Mooney, and Hardt is still in place, we would probably get an uninspired hire. I don't trust Hardt to make a good hire, and results I have seen from these professional search committee companies have been pretty sketchy too.

Reactions: whampas
There are substantial number of people who feel we should move on from Mooney who are season ticket holders. Lots of us still give, buy season tickets, in spite of Mooney, because we still like to support our basketball program and school. We love our school and our love for our school goes beyond the fact that we have a mediocre men's basketball coach.

Truth be told, people like you, people who are so disconnected with reality and worship at the altar of said mediocre coach though, sometime do make it tougher to support UR.
After the renaming of the buildings my love the school is diminished

Reactions: Spider B

My comments were based on post over the past 6 years from negative people who stated they don't give and wont give until Mooney's gone (most of these people will never give). There have also been posts suggesting other people should not give an boycott games. If you give 97spiderfan good for you for helping the program.

I think if your upset with the program and its direction - the best course of action is to withhold donations. Money talks, and the University has shown to make decisions based off money. Some will argue that lead towards showing up at games, but honestly - when your giving tickets away for $5 and $10 dollars - I don't think ticket revenue is big on the radar of administration. They can always give away enough tickets to get a good attendance number.

But I would say right now - the program is where expected, when just looking at the past few seasons. Whether or not the team makes post-season play this year is to be seen, but even if they don't - I think the key will be next season as we have to try and avoid multiple years in a row with no post-season, and no sniffing of an NCAA bubble.

Regardless of how you feel about the coach and the state of the program, Mooney isn't going anywhere after an A-10 Championship and an NCAA win last year, and with having a major shakeup in our lineup (regardless of talent brought in). However, this could change if we have an absolutely brutal A-10 slate of results.

It's too early, in my mind, to discuss this. I'd say at about halfway to A-10 play we can get a better sense of that.

However, everyone is of course entitled to their opinions and their donation status, so you do you.

this comment made my day. Thank you, couldn't say it better myself.

Does the University publish or share donation figures by sport?

During the UR giving days they do, and bball I believe is always #1. I’m not aware of them publicizing anything beyond those specialized days however.

Hoops was top money raiser on Giving Day this year, but not always. I know women's lax was tops last year.

Basketball also has a higher average gift than many of the other sports...there are a few well-heeled donors that help push the hoops number up, like whoever it was that offered the $40k dollar-for-dollar match challenge. Hoops still managed to come in second to women's lax in number of donors this year, but in 2021 they were nowhere near the top by that measure.

But they don't publish - in a financial report of some sort,

Men Basketball - Donations total - 700K
Womens Basketball - Donations - 400K,

etc.

Just for a year by year basis. Not sure other Universities do as well - or maybe you publish it if your numbers are really good?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT