ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis through 4 games

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
I typically wait until a good 4-5 game stretch to start coming to some early analysis/conclusions on the team and players. So here we go.

Burton - playing well. Still adjusting I think to being the focal point and this year is different for him because he doesn't have experienced players making his life easier on offense to get him open shots or opportunities to drive. Confident he will continue to get better and figure this out and become first team all A10 - possibly A10 POY as I expect him to have some big nights given our lack of production on offense elsewhere.

Grace - steady for the most part. Him being out in the Wichita game I think shows how much we need him. He can shoot, he can pass, and I think his knowledge of the offense and where to go helps keep things moving on that end of the floor. I think the Charleston game is the ceiling for Grace, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a guy who scores 10-12 a night on a consistent basis.

Quinn - I didn't expect Quinn to start the season and thought maybe later in the year he would. Right now - he is not playing bad, but he is producing enough I think to be a starter. I think most people expected him to come right in and be scoring double digits, grabbing 7-8 rebounds, handing out 3-4 assists from the top, etc. But fact is - he is slow, has no shot from the outside, and really is only a weapon on the block - which we need, but Mooney usually has someone who can score on the block AND shoot/play off the top - which he struggles with. I think he is a key piece to this team, but for now - I would have him come off the bench and start Bigelow.

Goose - Issue with Goose right now is we are getting nothing from him on offense. And that was okay in years past - when we had enough weapons, but this year - its difficult. I thought he would be able to score 8 a game, maybe 10. But he is not doing that right now and that is where we are having issues - on offense. I think he continues to play 28-30 minutes simply because we need his defense and I don't think Mooney trusts Roche or Bailey enough yet to swap them out.

Nelson - playing as expected for me. I take this as his frosh year, and I think there will be times he will be very good, and other times where he will make mistakes. The good thing is that I think Mooney is letting him play through these, getting the experience, getting the minutes and I think the beginning of the A10 might be an adjustment period for him - but hopefully by mid-A10 season - we see some high level consistency out of Nelson. Like what I see so far and future is bright for him.

Roche - fire and ice. He is coming off the bench to shoot and nothing else. That is not a bad a thing. He will have games where he makes 4 three pointers, and others where he makes none. Still think he is learning the offense and defense is a struggle for him - but he will be a key piece off the bench if this team is to be successful.

Bigelow - someone else said it and it fits. He is a jack of all trades, but master of none. Almost like a Cayo mold, but can shoot. RIght now he is probably our 2nd option on offense behind Burton. Not sure if that is sustainable - but I think the way he is playing, when Grace returns, we might need to try him in starting lineup.

Bailey/Randolph - who knows. I think Bailey gets more minutes as time goes on, but Randolph does bring some energy. But I see close games like where these guys hardly play, and then others where they get 10 minutes or more.

Noyes/Walz - based on last night, with no Grace - and they get 0 minutes - I think the writing is on the wall. They are not a part of the rotation.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think the jack of all trade quote is selling Bigelow short. he's a heck of a rebounder. he's a really good defender. too soon to tell if he's a shooter. but he's a player.

someone said Goose is just doing cardio out there. I'd laugh if I wasn't crying. he's a good defender but we need some offense. he can keep being Goose, but then somebody else has to start scoring regularly with Burton (Bigelow or Nelson, I'd think).

not sure where you see 10-12 consistently from Grace. he's already had 1 and 6 in 3 games and he's played a lot of minutes. but his last game was big so let's ride it when he's back.

Trap, I agree with most everything you said. Also agree with S-man that calling him a jack of all trades and master of known is selling him short. He is probably are most active player on both ends of the floor, really good rebounder, can score a variety of ways on offense. Behind Burton, he is our second best player on the team right now.

And I'm glad you are coming around on Goose not scoring 10 PPG. It is impossible to score 10 points be game when you only attempt 3-4 shots per game.

Trap, I agree with most everything you said. Also agree with S-man that calling him a jack of all trades and master of known is selling him short. He is probably are most active player on both ends of the floor, really good rebounder, can score a variety of ways on offense. Behind Burton, he is our second best player on the team right now.

And I'm glad you are coming around on Goose not scoring 10 PPG. It is impossible to score 10 points be game when you only attempt 3-4 shots per game.
I think if he becomes a starter - Bigelow's confidence might take a boost and we may see better production. He is out most active player, and is a good rebounder - but remember, we are a bad rebounding team - so him being good on a bad team - I still like the jack of all trades analysis. I agree - he is our second best player. I just wonder can we win consistently with a guy like that being our second best player. It may depend on what else is supporting him - if we get solid/consistent play out of Nelson and Grace, and get something offensively out of Goose - then probably yes.

I like Bigelow - thought he would start from game 1, but I think after 4 games - its easy to see - start him and Grace. Might be a good strategy against Syracuse - gives us another shooter against their zone with Quinn on the bench.

Probably wishful thinking that we'll have Grace on Monday. Mooney seemed to think it unlikely but not impossible.

Probably wishful thinking that we'll have Grace on Monday. Mooney seemed to think it unlikely but not impossible.
Have not looked at Syracuse, but given our shooting struggles and lack of scoring - are we likely to beat them? Or is better to maybe rest him for both games - which will give him over 2 weeks rest to get better.

Let Roche shoot his brains out against the zone. If he doesn't attempt 10+ 3 pointers - something is wrong.

PG, 3 point shooting, defense. The keys to our season.

PG: This was Nelson's 4th game. As a freshman, he will have a few games like this. Jacob's first 2 games he had 4 and 3 turnovers. It happens to the best of them, but 5 turnovers is too many. And, he needs to make more 3s. He just had a tough night. He knows this. We all know this. But, I like what I have seen from Nelson, and feel like we will be just fine more often than not at PG. That is a big positive and so important: We are fine at PG! But, 13 turnovers is too many for us as a team, and some were just careless ones we can't have. Especially early in the year, when we are still trying to figure some things out. We take care of the ball a little better last night, we probably win.

3 point shooting will always be key. Last night, we were 8-29, and we are 31% for the year. We need to get that up. Just 1 or 2 more makes last night, and the result is probably different. I would like to see more looks for Roche, and as already mentioned, Nelson needs to start knocking them down.

Defense looks good so far. We had a bad 1st half stretch against Charleston that we would like to have back, but overall I feel good about us defensively.

So, I still feel like we get good, solid PG play, good 3 point shooting, and play good defense we will win a lot of games. Not asking for all 3 to be great every night. Just being good in those areas will win us a lot of games.

I don't think we have been as bad over the years against a zone as some say. Last night was a struggle, but we have a bunch of new guys playing together and I think sometimes good defenses win. Last night, more often than not, their defense won. It happens.

I don't think Roche's defense is as bad as some are saying. I really don't think it is bad at all. I think sometimes guys get a pre season message board reputation and when something in the game happens to back that up, it gets greatly exaggerated. Every player gets beat a few times. Even the best defenders. If this didn't happen, no one would ever score. I don't think his defense will cost us, and with us needing to make more 3s, I would like to see him out there a lot.

I think our best line up would be Nelson, Roche, Tyler, Bigelow, and Grace. I am not at all giving up on Goose, and still see 20+ minutes for him.

I know it is common to be down after losing 2 straight, and I know I am criticized often for being too positive, but here it comes anyway: I still like this team, and have a good feeling about this team. I mentioned pre season PG was the key because I felt we had a good idea of what everyone else brought. I think this is accurate, and most everyone is giving us what I thought, but one big difference in my opinion is Bigelow. I knew he would help us, and mentioned before the year I could see him starting, but he is looking way better than I even hoped.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
I don't think Roche's defense is as bad as some are saying. I really don't think it is bad at all. I think sometimes guys get a pre season message board reputation and when something in the game happens to back that up, it gets greatly exaggerated.
totally agree. I actually think he's been good defensively. in fact, one of our better help defenders. he's not at strong defending on the ball as Goose, but it's not so that far off. and his shooting potential can make a big difference.

but if we can't get him shots, it doesn't matter if he can shoot.

I don't think Roche's defense is as bad as some are saying. I really don't think it is bad at all. I think sometimes guys get a pre season message board reputation and when something in the game happens to back that up, it gets greatly exaggerated.
Thank you. Not seeing him as the defensive burden some posters make him out to be. Been scratching my head over that since the season began. Much of defense involves hustle and he hustles on both O and D. Play the man. Run some plays for him.

My analysis: Defense is good, offense needs work, the team doesn't quit.

The season is young, but so far all of our opponents have had their worst game offensively against us (in terms of points per possession). CofC scored more points per possession against UNC than against us. Our opponents haven't played that many other games yet, but it is an encouraging stat so far.

Offensively we need to figure something out. We are shooting way too many 3s, especially for a team that is only shooting 31% from 3.

Last edited:
Thank you. Not seeing him as the defensive burden some posters make him out to be. Been scratching my head over that since the season began. Much of defense involves hustle and he hustles on both O and D. Play the man. Run some plays for him.
Roche does hustle and I think can be a crafty defender, but he absolutely was being targeting by Wichita last night in the second half when they made their run. We may need to get him so help quicker when we see that. He is not as athletic/quick as other 2 guards and so of course teams are going to try and exploit that.

My analysis: Defense is good, offense needs work, the team doesn't quit.

The season is young, but so far all of our opponents have had their worst game offensively against us (in terms of points per possession). CofC scored more points per possession against UNC than against us. Our opponents haven't played that many other games yet, but it is an encouraging stat so far.

Offensively we need to figure something out. We are shooting way too many 3s, especially for a team that is only shooting 31% from 3.
They're playing down to the opposition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT