ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Williams - 2021 Offer

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Well, how about this…AJ never got his own thread because we never really heard much about him after our offer two years ago, but he just announced his top 7 and we’re on it. So might as well give him a thread!

UR, GW, Ole Miss, Norfolk State, VT, Radford, and Hampton.

Well the fact that he’s on our list suggests we’re actively recruiting him still. That would be horribly awkward otherwise.

GW Fan jumping in here: Its also a bit odd from our standpoint. We also don't seem to need another guard (especially a pg) . Not very familiar with him. Is he good enough that GW or Richmond would take him based on his talent level versus an actually need at the position?

Reactions: plydogg
I think when recruiting you get good players where you can but given the roster composition UR really needs to focus on some frontcourt recruits even if they are developmental. The cupboard will be pretty bare at the 4 and 5 after next year.

Also interesting that his verbal commits profile lists him as a shooting guard. So maybe he’s a combo.

"One of the best shooters Steve Smith say's he's ever coached at Oak Hill".

I agree with 95 above. I think it says a lot about how highly we think of AJ for us to be recruiting him at this point with our current roster. so if we want him, then I also want him.

if I'm AJ, it looks like a tough spot to come in and compete at either guard spot. but we want good players who want to compete. and I love local kids.

Reactions: gospidersgo
after another look ... our roster might not be as guard heavy as I thought.

if Nelson isn't ready off the injury when we start up, I think the only guys on the roster with PG experience are Isaiah and Dji. that's a little thin at PG.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
after another look ... our roster might not be as guard heavy as I thought.

if Nelson isn't ready off the injury when we start up, I think the only guys on the roster with PG experience are Isaiah and Dji. that's a little thin at PG.
You seem to have forgotten Jacob.

But I get your point.

It would be nice to have a PG who is over six feet.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Gonzaga surrounded Timme with Kispert, Ayayi, Nembhard, and Suggs.

Baylor surrounded Thamba/Tchathoua with Vital, Teague, Mitchell, and Butler.

In no way am I suggesting that we are comparable talent-wise, but the strategy and roster construction could be comparable. If what we see is we are able to get better, more talented players that are 6-0 through 6-6, then it might be a reasonable strategy to pursue that. Of course it depends on the ability of those 4 guards/wings to be able to play defense and rebound adequately, but the strategy can work. Truthfully, it might work better with a Darrius Garrett type center than a Grant Golden/Dan Geriot type center, but still, it can work.

since the team with the most points wins you can never have enough shooters. But D separates the average from the good teams and good teams from the great teams. I recall an NBA scout saying they look at players that can score but the separator is who will they guard?

Reactions: nathanw19
btw ... this might have been mentioned but I just came across it ...
AJ Williams is at Oak Hill
Jason Nelson is a John Marshall

but they both started out together and won a Class 5 state championship at Varina.

and they played side by side in AAU for Team Loaded VA.

so there's that!

Most of them. Their on-campus gym only holds like 2000, but they have to use it a few times a year when there’s a scheduling conflict at the Coliseum. Of course, even at the Coliseum they typically only draw a few thousand.

I'm going to assume that we weren't too heavy on him, not that we lost him to UNCG..... right?

"One of the best shooters Steve Smith say's he's ever coached at Oak Hill".

I agree with 95 above. I think it says a lot about how highly we think of AJ for us to be recruiting him at this point with our current roster. so if we want him, then I also want him.

if I'm AJ, it looks like a tough spot to come in and compete at either guard spot. but we want good players who want to compete. and I love local kids.
I was surprised at his offers after skimming your headline...
"One of the best ... ever ... at Oak Hill".
o_O
That would be quite a list...

We didn’t seem heavy on him all along. Was shocked we made his top 7 a month ago. I can imagine our interest only waned further as our guys decided to return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT