ADVERTISEMENT

A10 record the last three seasons

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Since 2020-21, we are (wait for it) 21-20 in A-10 play. A reminder that for two of those seasons, we had all of our best-class-ever standouts, two of whom are currently killing it in the G League.

In three years, we are barely over .500 and actually below the Mooniocrity level of 55%.

In the same period,
VCU is 33-11
Dayton is 31-15
St. Bonaventure is 30-14
Davidson is 26-14
SLU is 26-13

People want to know why we are frustrated, or why we look at a guy like Schmidt and wish he were our coach? This is why. A miracle run to the title, as much fun as it was, is not a sustainable path to success. Mooney's history over time is demonstrable mediocrity.

Last edited:
In a bad A10 too. Last year was a little better but it’s not like it set the world on fire. Overall weak a10 last 3 years. Tho Mooney the other day was talking about how impressive the depth of good a10 teams is right now. Guess it’s time of year when u try to prop up your league to media tho nobody will fall for that one.

Since 2020-21, we are (wait for it) 21-20 in A-10 play. A reminder that for two of those seasons, we had all of our best-class-ever standouts, two of whom are currently killing it in the G League.

In three years, we are barely over .500 and actually below the Mooniocrity level of 55%.

In the same period,
VCU is 33-11
Dayton is 31-15
St. Bonaventure is 30-14
Davidson is 26-14
SLU is 26-13

People want to know why we are frustrated, or why we look at a guy like Schmidt and wish he were our coach? This is why. A miracle run to the title, as much fun as it was, is not a sustainable path to success. Mooney's history over time is demonstrable mediocrity.
This team’s parts are much better than their sum. Our individual talent is pretty darn good as Spider’s teams go. We just don’t have a Tarrant or Beline to add them up. Lacking a floor leader too.

Mooney - 257 (14.5 per season)
Mills - 170 (15.5 per season)
Pitt - 169 (8.9 per season)
Hooker - 142 (12.9 per season)
Tarrant - 126 (10.5 per season)
Dobson - 112 (6.2 per season)

Reactions: 8legs1dream
That ought to be enough to move on…..The program needs a change

In the same period,
VCU is 33-11
Dayton is 31-15
St. Bonaventure is 30-14
Davidson is 26-14
SLU is 26-13

LOL. Another post that pretends the A-10 tourney title never happened. Funny you just left that out, but included games before and after that. If you count the A-10 tourney (we all know why you didn't) and go back just one more year, we are 39-25. But, hey, no worries, only I get accused of cherry picking around here.

LOL. Another post that pretends the A-10 tourney title never happened. Funny you just left that out, but included games before and after that. If you count the A-10 tourney (we all know why you didn't) and go back just one more year, we are 39-25. But, hey, no worries, only I get accused of cherry picking around here.
Why don’t we use the total body of work? Then there’s no cherry picking.

If you think that is relevant, go for it. If we are going to pick some games, then skip some, then pick some more like EL did, maybe I can just pick the wins?

Last edited:
I’ve always advocated for that. Easy to select subset to fit a desired narrative which is contradicted by body of work.

I’ve used stock mkt reference previously. Would you evaluate your 18 year financial advisor on 3 years, or would you look at his payback on your portfolio from inception? If he had say an equivalent of a 55 pct basketball coach, maybe you could have passed on paying an advisor, and instead just buy index funds which would have probably gotten you equal or better results.

If you think that is relevant, go for it. If we are going to pick some games, then skip some, then pick some more like EL did, maybe I can just pick the wins?
It’s an honest question. You chose four seasons, he chose three. I could pick 6. Why don’t we just look at the total body of work. Seems to be the most objective.

These are every team's records in the REGULAR SEASON. I thought that was clear, but allow me to spell it out for anyone who was confused. REGULAR SEASON RECORDS FROM THE PAST THREE SEASONS. Are we all on the same page now?

Cherry picking would be to have selected regular season records from this year, 2013 and 2006. I didn't do that. I picked the most recent three REGULAR seasons.

Your 1st statement says "in A-10 play". You are comparing records "in A-10 play" and then you use games before the A-10 tourney and after the A-10 tourney? Laughable.

We are 4-0 in the the last 4 A-10 tourney games. Best record in the A-10.

I am kinda more interested in the present moment. Right now this team isn’t going anywhere. I could careless about the magical run last year. That run is keeping Mooney here. Getting myself ready for another loss to VCU.

I’ll put it here as well. I compiled the Mooney era A10 data. I haven’t added this year’s data (as I find it easier to update once everything is final at the end of the season).

A10 2005 to Present

I personally think it’s best to look at the entire data set, but if we want to look at portions of it, we should look at portions for the entire A10 to get a picture of how we have faired in comparison.

As I said in the other thread, the data shows us pretty clearly to be in the second tier of the A10 (VCU, Davidson, and Dayton being the 1st tier and us, St. Louis, st Bonnie’s, and URI being the 2nd tier).

nathan, if you will start a new thread with this I will pin it so that it remains somewhat permanent

In the same period,
VCU is 33-11
Dayton is 31-15
St. Bonaventure is 30-14
Davidson is 26-14
SLU is 26-13

Wow. This is pretty stunning. Especially considering that I believe we were picked first or second preseason in the league the prior 2 years. Pretty stunning underperformance. Yes, we struck gold in the A-10 tournament last year but going into that tournament, that team was going down as all time underperformer in the Mooney era.

Context.

1st 6 year cycle (aka Geriot cycle) - Winning % .562
This is Year 1 through Geriot's graduation. I extended it to 6 years bc year 1 was a massive program overhaul year to give Moon the benefit of his first recruiting class (which included Geriot) going all the way through to graduation.
2 NCAAs, 1 A10 Tournament title, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Geriot, Anderson, Harper, Gonzalvez, Butler, Brothers.
Note: NCAAs were in years 5 and 6 of the cycle.

2nd 5 year cycle - Winning % .548
5 years for a graduation cycle plus a redshirt/transfer in year.
0 NCAAs, 0 A10 Tournament titles, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Lindsay, Brothers, Anthony, Allen, Jones, Cline.
Note: 1st team left out of NCAAs in year 4 of the cycle.

3rd 6 year cycle (aka Golden/Sherod cycle) - Winning %.570
Extended to 6 years bc of COVID shortened year extended the graduation cycle by a year.
1 NCAA, 1 A10 Tournament title, 0 A10 Regular Season titles.
Key players: Cline, Jones, Buckingham, Sherod, Fore, Golden, Gilyard, Cayo, Burton.
Note: NCAA was in year 6 of the cycle.

4th cycle - started this year (Portal cycle?)- Current winning % .480

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT