ADVERTISEMENT

A10 head to head record......Mooney vs McKillop

Trajectories of McKillip and Mooney are more similiar than people on here are willing to admit. IIRC McKillop only had 3 NCAAs his first 17 seasons as well. Once he got Curry things really took off.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Trajectories of McKillip and Mooney are more similiar than people on here are willing to admit. IIRC McKillop only had 3 NCAAs his first 17 seasons as well. Once he got Curry things really took off.
Correct. 3 NCAAs in his first 17 years, and if go first 16 years, only 2 in his first 16 years. 2008 is the only season McKillop won an NCAA tourney game. In 33 seasons, he had 3 NCAA tourney wins and 2 NIT wins. Mooney, in 18 seasons, has 3 NCAA tourney wins and 5 NIT wins.

Reactions: gcarter52
He has had a terrific career and is a class act. I think Mooney will follow in his footsteps.

I have been very impressed with Mooney's development as a coach over the past few years and would not be surprised if he retired as a coach from U of R, with a highly successful 2nd half of his career.

But.....never won another NCAA game. Only 1 first round ncaa victory in 33 years.

Correct. 3 NCAAs in his first 17 years, and if go first 16 years, only 2 in his first 16 years. 2008 is the only season McKillop won an NCAA tourney game. In 33 seasons, he had 3 NCAA tourney wins and 2 NIT wins. Mooney, in 18 seasons, has 3 NCAA tourney wins and 5 NIT wins.
I guess unless we check with you first, we will never have a correct opinion

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
If this argument is meant to say that Mooney is on his way to being as great as McKillop it's really pointing out to me that perhaps they're both a bit overrated. Better than some not as good as others. Classic gentlemen who landed in good situations.

McKillop was in the SoCon, Mooney A10. McKillop was a regular participant in the NCAA Tournament as an A10 member. Mooney is not.

McKillop was in the SoCon, Mooney A10. McKillop was a regular participant in the NCAA Tournament as an A10 member. Mooney is not.
3 dances in 8 years is pretty good, but not sure it qualifies as "regular". Also, since Davidson joined the A-10, they have 0 NCAA and 0 NIT wins, while the Spiders have 1 NCAA win and 5 NIT wins during this time.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
3 dances in 8 years is pretty good, but not sure it qualifies as "regular". Also, since Davidson joined the A-10, they have 0 NCAA and 0 NIT wins, while the Spiders have 1 NCAA win and 5 NIT wins during this time.
It’s likely Davidson would have more NIT wins during that stretch but they were losing in the NCAAs instead.

results don’t lie but I don’t know that they tell the whole story when you consider that most would consider the chances of winning in the ncaa to generally be tougher than the NIT.

It’s likely Davidson would have more NIT wins during that stretch but they were losing in the NCAAs instead.

results don’t lie but I don’t know that they tell the whole story when you consider that most would consider the chances of winning in the ncaa to generally be tougher than the NIT.
McKillop is 2-8 in the NIT, including 0-3 after joining the A-10.

Not into pitting McKillop versus Mooney by selecting preferred stats. The former achieved great results in a difficult competitive environment. Unquestionably.

Mooney has grown and continues to grow as a coach. Challenge this year is to simultaneously meld new players and a new coaching staff into a winning program. Don't blame the weak OCC schedule so far bc knitting a new staff and the transfers will take time. May falter out the chute, which will cause great consternation here, but by late season Spiders should be a dangerous opponent for most anyone.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I would take McKillop over Mooney every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I’d also take both of them over Coach K

3 dances in 8 years, not impressed
3 dances in 17 years, SUPER IMPRESSED!!!!!

never change 4700, never change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT