ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Game 6 - Rhode Island

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Rhode Island is clearly the best team we have played all season. Possibly this decade. They have TEN guys shooting better than 30% from the field and ELEVEN who average 1 rebound per game or more. Further, NINE of their guys shoot better than 12% from three.

Their depth is impressive, as six of their guys are averaging between 0.1 and 0.6 assists per game. And we would be well-advised not to try to take anything inside, because there’s a really good chance that it will get swatted into the James River: nine guys average more than 0.1 blocks per game.

Basically, I would advise all of you to do literally anything else with your time Tuesday night than watch this game in any capacity. Unless they happen to put in some guy named Parnell Pierre, a total loser who has failed to rack up ANY stats whatsoever despite playing 1 minute this year.

Rhode Island is clearly the best team we have played all season. Possibly this decade. They have TEN guys shooting better than 30% from the field and ELEVEN who average 1 rebound per game or more. Further, NINE of their guys shoot better than 12% from three.

Their depth is impressive, as six of their guys are averaging between 0.1 and 0.6 assists per game. And we would be well-advised not to try to take anything inside, because there’s a really good chance that it will get swatted into the James River: nine guys average more than 0.1 blocks per game.

Basically, I would advise all of you to do literally anything else with your time Tuesday night than watch this game in any capacity. Unless they happen to put in some guy named Parnell Pierre, a total loser who has failed to rack up ANY stats whatsoever despite playing 1 minute this year.
Quality and quantity.

EL thanks for starting the post. Let’s hope you can start us on a new win streak. I blame 23 for the last loss, 3 straight wins and he should have cashed out. But he had to have the 4th! Let’s beat Rhode Island

Goose & Grace need to get revenge for their Freshman year.

1/9/2019 They (plus Gilly, Golden, and Cayo) lost at home to a URI team that was up 66-47 to start the 4th qtr, but ended the regular season 16-14.

Reactions: plydogg
It’s game day! Looking forward to the what to expect info from @flyder19. I do know that Rhode Island is “down” this year and seem to have trouble winning on the road. UR loves the home floor also, so hope the team gets ahead early and we can get some of the bench guys time too. I really would like to see more Noyes.

Go Spiders!

hmmmm, URI did just beat the Bonnies 6 days ago. But, I am feeling good about this one. RIchmond 75 URI 63.
Yes, they did, but apparently home field advantage is 10 points for everyone in the A10 this season...

Until yesterday's intercity road sweep...

Majority of URI games have been close, so I would expect the same here.

UR 74
URI 71

We go reverse on this one, we storm out to a big lead and let URI crawl back into this one in the 2nd half, but a late three by MFG seals it.

Rhody blows and we are at home. I see a close Spider victory to gear us up for a big let down against VCU on Friday.

Where Rhody is Strong
  • Free Throw Shooting: Rhody gets to the line a lot, almost 22 times per game (31st in the country) and makes around 16 of those (24th in the country). Leggett (their best player) is also very efficient at the line, so our suddenly foul prone defense needs to hunker down and keep them off the line. Let them shoot (more on that later) and contest, and get ready for rebounds

• Offensive Rebounding: Rhody ranks 58th in the country here, mainly due to their poor shooting, but it's still something to look out for. We're going to see a lot of shots come off the rim and we need to be ready. Hopefully Mooney and coaches did some work on the boards this week especially.

• Defending the 3: Rhody has allowed only 6.3 Three point makes per game so far this season. And opponents are only shooting 31.5% from 3 against them. They will look to put pressure up top and so Mooney will need to use the driving and kicking ability of our bigs and quick ball movement to open up opportunities. Otherwise, I think we will shoot poorly from 3 tonight, even at home. We won't be slowing down our 3 point hucking any time soon, so this adjustment is key

Where Rhody is Weak
  • Simply Shooting the Basketball: This is probably the worst shooting A-10 opponent we're going to come up against this year. They shoot 44.4% from 2 and 29.1% from 3, that is atrocious. We have a tendency to give poor shooting teams a shot to win, but hopefully we can hunker down. As mentioned above, due to this poor shooting, look to see plenty of rebounding chances. If we minimize their offensive boards, that's a great start to win. Leggett is their only real outlier in the shooting department. Control him, control the game.

• Defending Offensive Rebounds: Counter to one of their strengths above, they give up a lot of offensive rebounds themselves at 11.8 per game (331st in the country). Look to see the Spiders take advantage of our size in this game and get some offensive boards.

• Depth: Rhody only has 2 double digit scorers so far this season. That's not going to win you games. Leggett and Freeman account for a lot of their scoring, and so if they get in foul trouble, they're in trouble. If I was Mooney, I'd go after these two early if we can (Nelson and the Goose will be likely matched up to them, potentially Burton as well). Each at 6-2, we can really push them around to get them into trouble.

Thanks for the write up as usual Flyder! I'll admit, Rhody is the team I have probably paid the least amount of attention to this year. Usually I am pretty familiar with Rhody, they are the closest A10 school to where I live and in the past would run into a few co-workers that were fans/alumni. They have beat a decent Umass-Lowell team, as well as Fordham and Bonnies in last 7 games, though all of those were home wins. Still think this should be a double digit win.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Where Rhody is Strong
  • Free Throw Shooting: Rhody gets to the line a lot, almost 22 times per game (31st in the country) and makes around 16 of those (24th in the country). Leggett (their best player) is also very efficient at the line, so our suddenly foul prone defense needs to hunker down and keep them off the line. Let them shoot (more on that later) and contest, and get ready for rebounds

• Offensive Rebounding: Rhody ranks 58th in the country here, mainly due to their poor shooting, but it's still something to look out for. We're going to see a lot of shots come off the rim and we need to be ready. Hopefully Mooney and coaches did some work on the boards this week especially.

• Defending the 3: Rhody has allowed only 6.3 Three point makes per game so far this season. And opponents are only shooting 31.5% from 3 against them. They will look to put pressure up top and so Mooney will need to use the driving and kicking ability of our bigs and quick ball movement to open up opportunities. Otherwise, I think we will shoot poorly from 3 tonight, even at home. We won't be slowing down our 3 point hucking any time soon, so this adjustment is key

Where Rhody is Weak
  • Simply Shooting the Basketball: This is probably the worst shooting A-10 opponent we're going to come up against this year. They shoot 44.4% from 2 and 29.1% from 3, that is atrocious. We have a tendency to give poor shooting teams a shot to win, but hopefully we can hunker down. As mentioned above, due to this poor shooting, look to see plenty of rebounding chances. If we minimize their offensive boards, that's a great start to win. Leggett is their only real outlier in the shooting department. Control him, control the game.

• Defending Offensive Rebounds: Counter to one of their strengths above, they give up a lot of offensive rebounds themselves at 11.8 per game (331st in the country). Look to see the Spiders take advantage of our size in this game and get some offensive boards.

• Depth: Rhody only has 2 double digit scorers so far this season. That's not going to win you games. Leggett and Freeman account for a lot of their scoring, and so if they get in foul trouble, they're in trouble. If I was Mooney, I'd go after these two early if we can (Nelson and the Goose will be likely matched up to them, potentially Burton as well). Each at 6-2, we can really push them around to get them into trouble.
We have 2 double digit scorers so far this season. Sooooo....

At the rate of scoring in this game the Fenway scoreboard would work just fine.

Yet ANOTHER complete disaster possession as the clock expires. I swear we can’t even get a shot off on more than 50% of those possessions. Inexcusable how that hasn’t been fixed yet.

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT