ADVERTISEMENT

A J Ford - 2017 Commit

Has height and a good handle. I hope we fill this last spot with someone 6'8+.

Why are we offering? I thought that we were saving the last slot for Bryce Golden.
Is another commit gone?

Why are we offering? I thought that we were saving the last slot for Bryce Golden.
Is another commit gone?
For two years? As we have seen, a lot can happen.

But yeah, I would have thought a grad transfer more likely.

David Jones,UR footballer high school down here.Am sure this is the connection with AJ. Ford getting an offer.

Reserving a slot for young Bryce is very presumptuous.Doubt he'll be coming to UR.

A couple of weeks ago it seems like we had a discussion here about whether or not we should fill the last open slot, which would mean that, technically, there would be no available slot in 2018 for Grant's younger brother next season.

However, we also noted that filling this last slot by no means signifies any lack of interest in Mr. Golden, who we would clearly love to sign. It simply means that one of the 13 players on the roster would need to leave, for one reason or another. I favor filling the slot only if the coaches are confident that we have a good front-court guy, one who is likely to be able to earn significant minutes at the center or power-forward position.

It appears that this recruit has enough size, so it comes down to three questions: 1) Do the coaches believe he is good enough to play significant minutes in a UR uniform?, 2) Is he fully qualified academically, and 3) Does he feel comfortable enough to commit within the next week or so? We will likely get the answer, one way or another, very soon. My hope is that we love the kid, he is qualified, he commits, and we get Golden next year too.

Oldie, check out the videos above. Heard that the coaches think AJ can play and, based on the videos, he can. OSC

Interesting watching this kid that he doesn't have more offers. Looks like he has great handle and mobility for his size. Has he just blown up recently? He looks like a man among boys, is the competition he is playing weak? Looks great in the video, I guess I'm just trying to figure out how he is still attracting so few offers.

I still think if we can find a dude who is 6'8" that can move to the 4 spot, we should be prepared to sign them. Holding a spot for Bryce (or any other 2018 player), unless he has signaled he intends to come here, is not a great plan. If we need a spot to open up in 2018 for a 4* caliber player, we would find a way to make that happen.

Kid definitely looks like a player, but the lack of offers was puzzling to me, too. Only thing I thought was that MAYBE he is a little slower than the P5 programs would like, but it's hard to tell from video snippets.

Slow the roll down a minute. Yes, we really need a big man in this class and he is 6'8. Yes, he does look really good in this videos.

But there has to be a reason that a 6'8 guy with those purported skills has only received offers from Mississippi Valley State and American. Kovien was of similar stature with similar offers in his senior year as well.

I just find it doubtful that at this point, 6'8 guys have not been discovered by more than he has. It will be instructive to see now that we have offered, if other program begin to take a look.

something doesn't add up. all we have to go on is what we see but 6'8" guys who are athletic and skilled don't slip through the cracks. based on the highlights why we didn't like him before this? and why doesn't anyone else?
read one article from late February where AJ was averaging 8 ppg. no idea who he's playing against, but my HS couldn't hold a guy like that to 8. not from the highlights I saw. nobody should hold him to 8 in high school.

Our coaches have been following AJ for some time. He is quite young. Hope he decides to be a Spider. OSC

Slow the roll down a minute. Yes, we really need a big man in this class and he is 6'8. Yes, he does look really good in this videos.

But there has to be a reason that a 6'8 guy with those purported skills has only received offers from Mississippi Valley State and American. Kovien was of similar stature with similar offers in his senior year as well.

I just find it doubtful that at this point, 6'8 guys have not been discovered by more than he has. It will be instructive to see now that we have offered, if other program begin to take a look.
No comparison to Kovien; AJ is much bigger and stronger. OSC

First time poster, but frequent reader of these message boards. I've done a little digging because AJ reminded me of someone the Spiders played a few years ago....Quincy Ford from Northeastern.

Haven't been able to confirm, but it does look like this is his younger brother. Maybe our relationship and recruiting of Kwesi helped us out on this one.

Let's hope he's a late bloomer and plays like his brother!

First time poster, but frequent reader of these message boards. I've done a little digging because AJ reminded me of someone the Spiders played a few years ago....Quincy Ford from Northeastern.

Haven't been able to confirm, but it does look like this is his younger brother. Maybe our relationship and recruiting of Kwesi helped us out on this one.

http://www.gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3949

Quincy and Sajon of Northeasters are older brothers of AJ (and BJ, and CJ).

Oldie, had to laugh at your comments, if only recruiting was 1, 2, 3. am sure our coaches would love to be involved only with young men who would answer all three questions the right way on their visits. no matter if they do, as we have seen, the commitment is not binding at all.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the insight.

BTW, AJ's older brother, Quincy, now plays for the Utah Jazz in the NBA. OSC

I understand 97's concern, but with our recruiting lately - I think this is a guy that is well worth a shot. Between the blood lines - older brother in NBA camps, the size and ability, I think he is well worth a schollie. Reminds me a bit of Harp. And yes Harp had a Providence offer, but took him a while to adjust due to strength and speed of game. I could see AJ come in an contribute a few minutes a game as a freshman and progressively get better each year.

Not concerned with the lack of scholarships, the numbers say we are due a transfer or someone not coming back for some reason. I am sure the coaches are as in the know about the reality of our chances with B. Golden, more so than any other coaches in the country, or message board posters :). Really excited about the three freshman's performance vs. VU. Putting together some good classes. As much as I hate to lose Godwin, this does give us more size. Again, as we have stated ad nauseum on here, if this guy was 6'8" and athletic beast - we would not be talking about him on here. Unless he was a Grant or Bryce Golden that is :).

Not saying we have not in the past, but it does seem like we are attacking options B, C D etc on the recruiting trail when A has not panned out.

This guy would be an impact guy in the A 10. Maybe not his freshman year but definitely by the time he is an upper class-man.

Article you posted described Ford as a "rotational player" on his HIGH SCHOOL team.
Yes, I know that. But don't know Florida High School basketball well enough to know what it says about him or about the guards on his team. I found the article last night while searching for why he didn't play a bigger role on his team.

If we had several open scholarships, I would say he might be worth a shot. But since we only have 1 schollie remaining, I would prefer to leave that open for a guy with a better pedigree OR a possible transfer player in the Spring.

I think a prudent course would be to offer and see how he plays, if other schools start showing interest in him or he starts blowing up his senior year, than we heat up our recruitment of him. There is a ton of time left to fill that final spot, we need to use that to our advantage.

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
Seems like a while back we were discussing another tall Florida hooper going by the name of A. Ford - with a lack of acceptable offers. Well, he got those offers alright and we got kicked to the curb.
23, seems like our diamond-in-the-rough Aleem Ford ended up at Wisconsin. Hope we can get AJ, coaches have been talking about him for quite some time. OSC

definitely? then why not more interest?

Though he is still young and has time to improve, the overall game that I see on this highlight video makes it clear that this player would fall into the "project" category. As for now, his development is not even close to the level of Sherod, Buckingham, or Golden. You do not see the same potential.

Anyone have any indication as to when AJ will decide? Are we pursuing others meanwhile?

Though I am happy to obtain another quality recruit, I had accepted that we were finished recruiting for this year with somewhat of a feeling of relief. Now, with all the speculation and opinions flying around, our recruiting seems more and more like the election in that I cannot wait until it is over so that we can focus the season or get on with our lives.

Though he is still young and has time to improve, the overall game that I see on this highlight video makes it clear that this player would fall into the "project" category. As for now, his development is not even close to the level of Sherod, Buckingham, or Golden. You do not see the same potential.
I have not been able to correctly identify "potential" from any of the videos that I have seen as to any of our recruits. Let's face it, they all portray the athlete at his best against competition which is a few notches below that which he will face in college.

I think we have to rely on the coaches and praise them when they are right and get on them when they are wrong. They were often wrong in the three or four years prior to this year's class, but they seem to be trending toward a correction. Time will tell, but to establish any legacy, they need to continue the trend. It would be a shame not to land some quality recruits to complement the skills of those we now have on board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT