ADVERTISEMENT

A GREAT DAY SPENT

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
my son and i attended a WW II vintage aircraft show at an airport near our home on saturday. really cool to see a vast array of the airplanes which help win the war with the axis powers. most of the aircraft belong to the CAF or commemorative air force and are flown by former military pilots and there were also a couple of WW II vets there specifically with the B-17 that flew over my house at about 300 feet. the highlight for me was the P-51 mustang that arrived late and was thinking one was not going to be on hand. when he landed and taxied right by us on his way to a parking spot, just amazing to hear that 12 cylinder rolls royce engine rumbling. grew up around air force, navy and army airfields down in tidewater and always one of my passions and can identify most aircraft old and new. these guys are very much like the civil war buffs who fight the famous battles in their spare time. anyway, if any of you get the opportunity to go to one of these deals, an excellent experience. you can also donate and fly in some of the planes.

Sounds like a very enjoyable day and a good reminder of what goes into the defense of freedom. WWII aircraft are fascinating to see and hear. The tidewater memories recall my Air Force pilot cousin stationed at Langley who would dip slightly out of his fly pattern when flying over our Newport News home so we would know it was him.

not until they dropped some ordinance....lol. i spoke with the pilot later when i went over to the airfield and he said he was attempting to drum up some folks to come over. amazing to go thru the bomber, so tight and these guys were buckled into these things for hours on end plus a good chance they would not be coming back or if so, pretty shot up. to think of the sacrifices that people made and still make for their country or the world is heartwarming and just amazing.

My old law partner flew those off a carrier in the Pacific. Said nothing was scarier than trying to land at night during a blackout with nothing to see by but moonlight. After the war, he basically refused to fly again...even as a passenger on a commercial airplane.
This post was edited on 4/23 9:27 PM by BillyWayne

just remembered that my roomie's father was shot down in a B-17 and was a prisoner of war for several years. he is now a doc out in the valley, his dad was a doc in lexington.

Fluco, wish they had had a chopper out there for you but guess korea was their first conflict.

The Nazis actually flew this thing in WWII. I think anybody getting in this deserved an Air Medal!

requim.jpg

Yeah, spinner. I happened to be at Myrtle Beach when they cosed the air base there. Had a huge air show and display which featured aircraft from all of the wars since we created our air force. Most were ours, but a few were vaunted enenmy planes. I walked through a B-24 and a B-17 and was amazed at how cramped the seating was and how small the catwalks for those not in the cockpit. I don't see how anyone got out when the plane was crippled. A lot of great books on the subject, starting with John Hersey's "The War Lover".

After the ceremony, we stood and watched as each plane took off and flew away. Quite an impression as we watched a WW1 Jenny putt putt down the runway, followed by a jump jet that took off like a rocket...then a lumbering B-17. If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading "The Unbroken", last year's prize winning book about the crew of a B-24 and their unbeleivable hardships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT