ADVERTISEMENT

A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

spider fan

Spider's Club
Dec 4, 2003
It has been 75 years since the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

We will never forget those who died that day and the patriotic sacrifice of those who served our nation in World War II. Talked with Dr. Heilman before the basketball game on Saturday and he told me he had recently spoken at a Marine Corps Birthday celebration and he was the only World War II veteran there.

We will never forget those who died that day

I'm a bit concerned about this happening, to be honest. My grandfather served in the Pacific, I love history and have visited the Arizona. I won't forget. Scrolling through my facebook feed (which obviously serves only as a proxy), not a single post about it. Younger generations may be forgetting.

12/7 was my grandparents 9/11. Fast forward 60 years from now, I wonder if the memories from that event fade from future generations.

i visited hawaii and my sister got me a personal tour of pearl harbor by a man who survived from the battleship WEST VIRGINIA. he and my sister's boss' husband jumped together from the wva. amazing to listen to his story(s) and it made the visit very special. one was that he had to talk my sis' boss' hubbie from going back down to grab a new pair of shoes he had just bought. he just grabbed him and led him to the side to jump. said the water was filled with fuel and fire and they were able to crawl up on a spit of land after a long period of swimming. it is a shame what man does to man and if we could just get this thing to the heads of state fighting it out and leave the citizens out of it, it would be great. thoughts go out to the thousands who gave their lives on this day in 1941 and to my wife who was born on this day which makes it so easy to remember too.

Unfortunately, our familiarity with history has been eroded so badly in this country that it's become truly pathetic. Just watch those late-night shows where they go out on the street and ask basic questions of people who have no idea what they're talking about. But I guess you could almost say that about any number of educational foundation points, too. Our writing, reading and math abilities as a nation have deteriorated badly, too.

Just watch those late-night shows where they go out on the street and ask basic questions of people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Not saying we don't have issues with general education/knowledge among the populace, but you realize those bits are generally fake, right? The people do it on purpose so they can get on TV.

I'm sure some do. Others don't. I was just using them as an example people are probably familiar with. Sadly they are pretty close to reality, though, at least in my experiences.

I'm a bit concerned about this happening, to be honest. My grandfather served in the Pacific, I love history and have visited the Arizona. I won't forget. Scrolling through my facebook feed (which obviously serves only as a proxy), not a single post about it. Younger generations may be forgetting.

12/7 was my grandparents 9/11. Fast forward 60 years from now, I wonder if the memories from that event fade from future generations.

05 - Sadly there is little understanding on the part of many concerning the role that the military has had in promoting and preserving freedom. During WWII 12% of the population was actively serving in the Armed Forces compared to approximately 4/10 of one percent serving today. Likewise in 1975 approximately 70% of the members of Congress were veterans compared to about 18% today. It is important that we don't forget and pass on to our children and grandchildren the sacrifices made. As we have moved to an all volunteer military unfortunately along with that has come the concept to many that military service is something for somebody else to do. The incoming administration is putting more veterans in important positions and hopefully this will enhance knowledge of the important role of our military. The preamble to the Constitution states: "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence [spelling in original], promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty ...

[QUOTE="WebSpinner, thoughts go out to the thousands who gave their lives on this day in 1941 and to my wife who was born on this day which makes it so easy to remember too.[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Web Spinner from spider fan and his wife.......................Be extra good to her today ............I know you are everyday but today is special!

for sure, thanks. will watch FROM HERE TO ETERNITY tonight, one of my favs, not as good as far as history as TORA TORA TORA but a great movie (supposedly the movie that johnnie fontaine [frank sinatra] got in the GODFATHER)

fan, your thoughts on trump adding military individuals to his cabinet and team reminds me that our top military people are doers, they get things done and that is how i view trump. some don't understand that most of these generals are extremely bright, very educated individuals. recall listening to gen douglas macarthurs speech at west point, what an amazing orator, same with patton and many others. some feel that we need to keep the military out of the civilian part of things but in doing that we miss a ton of talent who can help this country. am much happier with guys like he is selecting than just academics who have done nothing and know nothing other than theory as opposed to hands on experience. know i am proud that i have two frat bros who were/are generals in the us army..................GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY

Agree with your post except of course the last line. Today's game should be competitive because Army has improved. Naturally I want the 14 game win streak to become 15 - GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

love the new army coach, he is really intense, the kind of guy you want next to you in the foxhole, will fight to the end for you.

Congrats to Army. The Army-Navy game is special in so many ways including the fact that all the players on the field and all their fellow students - cadets and midshipmen(middies) - have agreed to serve in the Army, Navy, or Marines after graduation.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT