ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Lacrosse

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
It's official. No Fairfield (at least yet...not sure if it's still a possibility), but High Point and Hobart are joining up with the four A-10 schools (us, Bona, UMass, and St. Joe's) for an autobid conference.

"This is a great day for Spider men's lacrosse," head coach Dan Chemotti said

Totally agree....much stronger conference for us....will help our ranking. Will be tougher to get auto-bid but do think it opens the door for the possibility of an at large bid for an A-10 team based on the previous strength shown by the member schools. Caveat: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" is generally treated as a warning label: Don't assume an investment (lacrosse results) will continue to do well in the future simply because it's done well in the past. But based on the priority by the member schools shown to their lacrosse programs bodes well for the future.

It's certainly an improvement, but it's not going to earn anyone an at-large on its own. There are just so few bids available, and they're going to go to conferences with multiple top 10 teams. Hell, even the ACC only got one bid this year (yes, I know it was at-large since they don't have an auto, but still...).

Anyway, here are this year's RPIs for the SoCon and the new A-10 group. You can't say the new A-10 teams would all have ended up with the same RPIs given they would have had to play each other a bunch of times rather than doing well in separate conferences, but it's still clear this is a much better group.

SoCon
13. Richmond
24. Jacksonville
32. High Point
55. Mercer
68. VMI
73. Hampton

Average: 44.2

New A-10
13. Richmond
16. St. Joe's
26. UMass
32. High Point
38. Hobart
40. Bona

Average: 27.5

Yea NCAA lax is super hard to get a bid in. I do think the chances go up for an at large bid but its not going to be a frequent occurrence unless the NCAA field expands the field. Id like to think this league can be as good as the CAA over time especially when were taking one of their better programs. I do think it has the potential to become a league to be reckoned with over time if SBU and SJU keep up their trajectory. I'm going to keep saying it until it happens but GW and Davidson should also add men's lax now that the A10 sponsors it. And while were at it A10 should add FCS football.

If we want to make the tournament 4x over the next 8 years we will have to take another step forward as a program. We don't have 3 conference wins baked into the schedule each year now with no more bottom feeders.

Yes agree that Spiders will need to continue upward trajectory..............have done a good job in that regard and want to see it keep going. Do think we are "on the radar" of higher level recruits and the "buzz" has increased around our program. As a fan of Dom Starsia I think his joining our broadcast team added to the "buzz" mix. (Am still enjoying thinking about the Hoo fan who was under the impression Starsia was broadcasting our game against UVA because of being UVA former coach.) Also agree it will be very tough to get an "at large" bid for our league but do think the odds of that increased with move to the A-10. One of the oddities of this past season was that Jacksonville was overranked based on their one win over Duke but literally had no chance for an at large because although ranked in the top 10 their SOS was too weak for there to be any consideration after we beat them. As the always excellent stat work by SF shows there will be a likely increase in SOS based on new league members. The Ivy League played their hand to perfection by getting six bids based on the inbred SOS model of playing one another. Personally thought the Harvard bid was over the top but it does illustrate the importance/value of having higher regarded programs/schools in your league.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Yes agree that Spiders will need to continue upward trajectory..............have done a good job in that regard and want to see it keep going. Do think we are "on the radar" of higher level recruits and the "buzz" has increased around our program. As a fan of Dom Starsia I think his joining our broadcast team added to the "buzz" mix. Also agree it will be very tough to get an "at large" bid for our league but do think the odds of that increased with move to the A-10. One of the oddities of this past season was that Jacksonville was overranked based on their one win over Duke but literally had no chance for an at large because although ranked in the top 10 their SOS was too weak for there to be any consideration after we beat them. As the always excellent stat work by SF shows there will be a likely increase in SOS based on new league members. The Ivy League played their hand to perfection by getting six bids based on the inbred SOS model of playing one another. Personally thought the Harvard bid was over the top but it does illustrate the importance/value of having higher reagrded programs/schools in your league.
I wonder if the NCAA won’t increase the number of participants? It may mean playing 2 games in a week.
I have no idea if there has been any discussion or not.

Of interest is how the conference realignments play out because the motivation for adding a second play in game this year which increased the bids is how many AQ's there will be in 2023...........

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ncaa-to-add-second-play-in-game-for-2022-tournament/59215

Originally consisting of eight teams, the size of the tournament field has changed over the years, increasing to 10 in 1986, 12 in 1987, 16 in 2003, 18 in 2014, down to 17 in 2017, down again to 16 in 2021, and finally back up to 18 in 2022.

For reference, here are the RPIs from the other conferences the A-10 teams are coming from:

NEC
16. St. Joe's
36. Bryant
38. Hobart
44. LIU
54. Merrimack
58. Mount St. Mary's
64. Wagner
69. Sacred Heart

Average: 47.4

CAA
25. Delaware
26. UMass
27. Towson
42. Drexel
50. Hofstra
51. Fairfield

Average: 36.8

MAAC
40. Bona
43. Marist
48. Manhattan
56. Monmouth
61. Siena
65. Quinnipiac
67. Canisius

Average: 54.3

Reactions: spider fan
Bona, UMass, St.Joe's like us were the best their former conference had...............it is a good move by the A-10.....................

I think for the Spiders this is big transition year. Other than minding the net, the Spiders will need a lot of younger guys to step up and fill some serious slots on offense and defense to compete and still consistently produce a winning season. Of course the schedule offers them no favors...however I've always loved Chemotti's Chaney philosophy of scheduling hard to set up for conference play and good tournament resume. And with Georgetown, UVA & Maryland on the schedule these men will certainly be battle tested.

2023 Men's Lacrosse Standings

Saint Joseph's. 4-0. 9-4
Richmond 3-1 8-4
UMass 2-2 7-5
High Point 2-2 8-6
Hobart 1-3 5-7
St. Bonaventure 0-4 1-12

4/29

UR v Bonnies
Hobart v Mass
Joes v HPU

Looks like Joe’s locked in as #1 seed and UR locked in as #2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT