ADVERTISEMENT

3rd down conversion rate

A most telling, but disappointing stat...... the O is not on all cylinders.

Young D.J. Helkowski will be busy if we stay at that number.Defense will be on field more often.Seems we like to have our punts almost blocked as well.We need to speed up things or give better protection otherwise we are inviting a block and easy field position for opposition.

Whenever I see a drastic change in 3rd down conversion rate my first reaction is "did the yards gained on 1st and 2nd down change also"? My second reaction is are we converting more on 1st or 2nd down? 1 number does not tell the entire story.

If nothing has changed on 1st or 2nd down and we have that drop that is a problem.

Two questions for the same time range:
What is the average yards per play on 1st and 2nd downs?
What is the conversion rates on 1st and 2nd downs?

The answers to those 2 questions will also help determine the type of problem. Given the number of field goals in the past 2 games I suspect it is also a red zone/near red zone issue.

They actually might want to consider sending the TE out on a pattern on 3rd down instead of him blocking a phantom rusher that never appears. This happened on at least 4 3rd downs. Didn't matter which TE was blocking air.

With all due respect, devil, please find a way to enjoy the last 4 (or more) games of your kid's career. Your feelings are known here but the coaches and quarterbacks aren't part of your audience here.

Kids that do far less than block air gets rings too.

Also remember that hopefully we havnt shown all our cards on O with MR at QB. We ran fairly vanilla offense against URI and Elon. Hopefully a more diverse offense will help on us gain more yards on 1st and 2nd down and move the chains on 3rd. Go Spiders.

We can't get involved in a shoot out with Nova. We won't keep pace. We'll need to have long sustained drives to eat up the clock, which means our third down conversions need to get back to where they were. Come on Spiders.

Devil has point. With Rocco's lack of big arm, need to involve TEs in passing game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT