ADVERTISEMENT

3 point shooting

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I thought we were going to have a good 3 point shooting team, but I was obviously wrong. Apologizes if already mentioned in another post. One of the main reason we have a losing A-10 record is that our 3 point shooting has been horrible in conference play where we have made only 28.9% over past 10 games. Below is a list of shooting percentage for all players with 30 or more attempts during that time:

Burton 22.4%
Bigelow 25.7%
Nelson 29.4%
Roche 29.7%
Grace 35.1

Over the years we have had a very efficient offense, but it doesn’t work if we can’t make our 3s and spread out the defense. I know Roche and Burton can do much better. Not sure what the issue is.

Last edited:
So the answer to your question is No

I thought we were going to have a good 3 point shooting team, but I was obviously wrong. Apologizes if already mentioned in another post. One of the main reason we have a losing A-10 record is that our 3 point shooting has been horrible in conference play where we have made only 28.9% over past 10 games. Below is a list of shooting percentage for all players with 30 or more attempts during that time:

Burton 22.4%
Bigelow 25.7%
Nelson 29.4%
Roche 29.7%
Grace 35.1

Over the years we have had a very efficient offense, but it doesn’t work if we can’t make our 3s and spread out the defense. I know Roche and Burton can do much better. Not sure what the issue is.
Too much dribbling and not good, quick ball movement.

Burton 22.4%
Bigelow 25.7%
Nelson 29.4%
Roche 29.7%
Grace 35.1

The issue is Mooney.

Too much dribbling and not good, quick ball movement.
I think there’s a lot of aimless ball movement which A) winds the clock and B) creates opportunities for turnovers.

Clearly there’s an intent to shift the defense around but to someone’s prior point, if it’s going to open guys who aren’t willing to drive or shoot, then it’s literally a “so what” kind of thing.

I’d like to see us ramp up our tempo. Stop the whiling it down to ten seconds. If a shot or drive is open, take it. If you aren’t good at shooting or driving, then I guess pass to someone else, but seriously, why the hell are you on the floor.

TB seems to be dropping his off shoulder and not squaring on hid release, Adding to his 3 point misses.

Reactions: SpiderK
I think there’s a lot of aimless ball movement which A) winds the clock and B) creates opportunities for turnovers.

Clearly there’s an intent to shift the defense around but to someone’s prior point, if it’s going to open guys who aren’t willing to drive or shoot, then it’s literally a “so what” kind of thing.

I’d like to see us ramp up our tempo. Stop the whiling it down to ten seconds. If a shot or drive is open, take it. If you aren’t good at shooting or driving, then I guess pass to someone else, but seriously, why the hell are you on the floor.
Instead of ramping up our tempo, I’d like to see an entirely different offensive strategy. Mooney’s ball movement down until near shot clock violation is getting old. After all these years and force fitting skills or lack of, isn’t it time to try something else? This year has been painful to watch his system fail. If it was working, the record would reflect differently. The thing is, nothing will change until we have a new coach.

Instead of ramping up our tempo, I’d like to see an entirely different offensive strategy. Mooney’s ball movement down until near shot clock violation is getting old. After all these years and force fitting skills or lack of, isn’t it time to try something else? This year has been painful to watch his system fail. If it was working, the record would reflect differently. The thing is, nothing will change until we have a new coach.
So there’s a theory called one degree of change. The general notion of which is that you can make small adjustments to a plan/process/strategy and have an outsized improvement.

I don’t think we have to scrap the whole thing, and frankly am not sure that wouldn’t just set us back even further, but I do think we could make some adjustments that make a big difference.

Play loose?

So there’s a theory called one degree of change. The general notion of which is that you can make small adjustments to a plan/process/strategy and have an outsized improvement.
This where I feel coaching is failing. I think a coach like JB would probably come in, look at some film of the shooters, the offense, etc. and make a few tweaks with crazy results. If Moon and PQ would send out a lifeline, with a plane, hotel room and per diem, JB would probably love to come out and help for a couple days. I bet you would see a quick turn around.

I don’t think we have to scrap the whole thing, and frankly am not sure that wouldn’t just set us back even further, but I do think we could make some adjustments that make a big difference.

Play loose?
That would require a philosophical change with Mooney. He teaches his players to play his system, and absent a couple of minor tweaks has been the same rigid system for the past 17 years. It’s a tight system, reflective of their tight coach.

That would require a philosophical change with Mooney. He teaches his players to play his system, and absent a couple of minor tweaks has been the same rigid system for the past 17 years. It’s a tight system, reflective of their tight coach.
Oh I get it. I’m just reacting to the notion that we need to scrap everything that was suggested.

Play loose?
I agree with the theory as described. Just don’t think it’s possible under CM. The point of my original response is that a new coach would be required to implement an entirely different system and mindset. We’re beyond overdue.

Seems like most every time we go up tempo, push the ball, press.....we always play better. Problem is Mooney won't do it until we're down by 15+.

And our 3pt defense is horrendous.

Reactions: SpiderGuy and ur2K
Seems like most every time we go up tempo, push the ball, press.....we always play better. Problem is Mooney won't do it until we're down by 15+.

And our 3pt defense is horrendous.
The 3pt defense really is weird. I think EL posted some data on over half our opponents hitting above their 3s made per game averages.

Maybe we’re out thinking ourselves that these opponents aren’t threats and are sagging intentionally daring them to make, which they’re doing?

We just can’t shoot 3’s, mid-range, or layups. I guess if they could they would be playing somewhere else.

I know this is repetitive but it’s conditioning. The legs go the shot goes. How else do you explain every player going ‘cold’ at the same time. Even over the years. We recruit ‘shooters’ and halfway through the season they can’t shoot.. also we need to work on a quick release we should hire John Schweitz.

Reactions: SpiderK

Burton 22.4%
Bigelow 25.7%
Nelson 29.4%
Roche 29.7%
Grace 35.1

No apologies necessary but appreciated. The 3PT shooting SLUMP referenced in Up Next - UMass thread unfortunately has continued. Hasn't changed much with your percentages above from below before UMass game.
24% Burton
27% Roche
31% Nelson
14% Bigelow
38.5% Matty Saving Grace

Might be the cynical side of me knowing your posting with regards to Mooney but do have any issue with him taking some blame? I do. A 3PT shooting slump is not his fault but what has he done to neutralize it. Spiders were 2nd worst A10 3PT% shooting then and now. Change though in 2nd most 3PTA% then and now ranked at the top of conference. Why keep attempting so many?

Mooney offensive adjustments (if any) hasn't produced more attempts inside the arc. Okay argument could be so much wasted time in shot clock that most shots occurring late. That is not the case. I've seen both Matty and Bigs take them early (10-12 sec) in the clock. Neither should be attempting them that quickly and Roche for me only one with green light that early.

That weave/whatever Mooney offense producing little layups/close to rim shots. Maybe try some 2 man isolation. Seen last game a 6'5" PG get the ball easily down low to Quinn. Assume this could be done with Grace also.

Better why not Tyler be that man. If he can't score/get fouled but gets doubled pass out to someone preferring Roche to ignite the offense maybe even as starter like last game's PG change. And when starting Quinn/Grace with that size how does one not aggressively attempt going inside. The biggest 5/4 tandem in the league.

Nailed it. It's his job to figure out what our strengths are and design a scheme around them. Instead, he operates as if our strengths are always the same every year and makes almost no adjustments ever.

I look at this team and see an athletic group with some potential opportunities to exploit a height advantage down low and free up a couple good three-point shooters as a result (and in fast-break transition opportunities). I see a team that should get a lot of defensive rebounds.

Naturally, we are excelling at almost none of that, because we are doing almost none of that. Instead, we are just passing around the perimeter in a predictable fashion and jacking up bad shots 25 seconds in. The results are predictably awful.

Nailed it. It's his job to figure out what our strengths are and design a scheme around them. Instead, he operates as if our strengths are always the same every year and makes almost no adjustments ever.

I look at this team and see an athletic group with some potential opportunities to exploit a height advantage down low and free up a couple good three-point shooters as a result (and in fast-break transition opportunities). I see a team that should get a lot of defensive rebounds.

Naturally, we are excelling at almost none of that, because we are doing almost none of that. Instead, we are just passing around the perimeter in a predictable fashion and jacking up bad shots 25 seconds in. The results are predictably awful.
How many times have we had square peg round hole and Mooney’s inflexibility? This will continue until end of his tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT