ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Virginia Cavaliers

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

I hope it'll be fun Saturday breaking in another new UVA Head Coach...they have a lot of questions...and we have some too...I try not to forget that everything else being equal it's FCS v. BCS...that should give the Cavs a big advantage in depth, size and speed...accordingly they are 24 point favorites earlier this week...

I'll be hoping the Spiders can shock the college football world...if we don't I'll be disappointed, but not surprised...win, or lose, I hope to see a well coached team on the field at Scott Stadium...a team that plays smart, hard and executes the fundamentals...that will bode well for the FCS season...

It should be interesting to see if the Spiders defense can slow down the outstanding Virginia passing attack... and contain the Cavs questionable rushing attack... and if, behind a talented and experienced OL, new QB Reece Udinski can execute our new offensive scheme...moving the ball through the air and running the ball effectively...playing fast...

Coach Huesman said two things that stuck with me this week..."we have to get them on the ground"...missed tackles that lead to big plays kill FCS teams versus BCS opponents...and that no player on the Spiders roster received a scholarship offer from UVA...that means every UR player that goes on the field Saturday has something to prove...

enjoy the season's first Prologue...real football is less than 48 hours away!

Go Spiders!

was last night's Wake Forest win over VMI a preview of our game versus the Cavaliers tomorrow?

thought I heard the announcers say the Keydets were running "Air Raid" offense...QB Morgan was usually able to move the ball, but VMI could not sustain drives versus a Demon Deacon defense that performed very similar to the Cavs defense last season...Wake Forest has not been strong defensively in recent years...

Other the other hand Wake has been an offensive powerhouse in recent seasons and we saw it last night against a pretty good SOCON "Red Swarm" VMI defense...Keydets missed tackles led to lots of big plays for the Deacs, even with their backup QB...

I don't think UVA will be as good as Wake, but to give ourselves a chance to pull the shocker we'll need to finish drives and "get them on the ground" or the result could be very similar...

I hope we can...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
Unfortunately still recovering from surgery so won’t make this game. Last time I ended up missing a UVA-UR game we won the national championship. Hoping for a similar result.

UVA 14-7 end of 1st. Spiders committed stupid penalties on last drive.

Same old problems. Stupid penalties and no defense. We will need to score 49 points to win this one.

Can't catch a break with these refs. What conference are they from?

The ref did not kick that one
Lets make them pay now offense
If he were as aggressive moving away from that ball as he was getting into that pile to see who got it there would be 7 less points on the board.

Not to mention the no call pass interference at the goal line.

That being said crucial penalties are killing us, that we can control.

Pleased we’re still fighting.

Reactions: whampas
Don't see us getting it done today, but we had our chances. 2nd half defense hast looked as overmatched, but I think we will be challenged on defense all year especially up front. offense looks like it will be a force all year although Hoos aren't very formidable on D. Some bad breaks (the ref kick etc. ) but also some self inflicted mistakes and failure to execute. Needed to be perfect to win and far short of that, but we did some good things and got a good luck at what we need to go to be a playoff team.

Overall a lot more positives than recent years. When playing up you’re going to get terrible refs and some blown calls. It happens and happened a few times. We missed a couple of opportunities but we looked better coached (to me).

Oline opened up some good holes and didn’t seem overmatched. Offense looked pretty solid with a deep group of WRs. Hope Herres only out a short time. We look like we’re going to put up a lot of points this year.

special teams were pretty solid. Outstanding punt coverage and decent length on most punts. Kick coverage was good for FCS against a power 5.

defense was better than I expected. A few missed tackles but corners played well. We won’t face an NFL QB throwing to NFL WRs again this year. DLine I was worried would be completely overmatched but thought they held in there.

think playoff expectations are right mindset.

Overall a lot more positives than recent years. When playing up you’re going to get terrible refs and some blown calls. It happens and happened a few times. We missed a couple of opportunities but we looked better coached (to me).

Oline opened up some good holes and didn’t seem overmatched. Offense looked pretty solid with a deep group of WRs. Hope Herres only out a short time. We look like we’re going to put up a lot of points this year.

special teams were pretty solid. Outstanding punt coverage and decent length on most punts. Kick coverage was good for FCS against a power 5.

defense was better than I expected. A few missed tackles but corners played well. We won’t face an NFL QB throwing to NFL WRs again this year. DLine I was worried would be completely overmatched but thought they held in there.

think playoff expectations are right mindset.
Agree. Game was closer than the score. The two misses on 4th and short hurt and the last pass interference call was a total joke. Fix a few things and continue to hold on to the ball and we've got a chance the rest of the way.

Armstrong is going to pass for more than 246 yds, more times than not this season, against FBS opponents despite Coach Elliot's promise for a more balanced attack. Statement on our secondary.

Spiders rushed for 170 yds. A statement on our O-line.

We missed some obvious opportunities, seldom got a 50/50 ref call, but did not fade, did not quit.

Like the way Udinski is careful with the ball and his presence as the offensive leader. Would have liked to see us stretch the field more, believe we will against FCS opponents, but when we tried deep, he was contending with serious pressure. Cosh, : "We take what they give us."

Respectable outing. The Boys did themselves proud. Despite the loss, much to be positive about.

34-17. Huesman reminds me of Jethro Bodine.

Last edited:
Maybe 1 offensive penalty and no turnovers, call me impressed. Just not quite deep enough to get a win over an ACC team. Armstrong is NFL - legit. Couldn’t generate enough consistent pressure on him. Threw a pick the time a Wheeler blitz got in his face.

Agree. Game was closer than the score. The two misses on 4th and short hurt and the last pass interference call was a total joke. Fix a few things and continue to hold on to the ball and we've got a chance the rest of the way.
SO we have a chance?? Sweet

Reactions: mojo-spider

UR2ndUR2513:00KOUVA2809:36FG11-4703:24
UR2ndUR2504:10KOUVA3401:22DOWNS7-4102:48
UR3rdUVA3413:58FUMBUVA010:51TD8-3403:07
UR3rdUVA3710:07INTUVA3009:03FGA4-701:04
UR3rdUR1306:22PUNTUVA3600:46DOWNS12-6105:36

~~Couldn't convert a 4th and 1 from UVA 34 with 1:22 in 1st half

~~Missed a 47 yd FG(ball at 30yd line) at 9:03 in 3Q

~~Couldn’t convert a 4th and 1 from UVA 36 at 0:46 in 3Q

Have a feeling we’ll be converting those 4th and 1‘s in the future with jumbo packages.

Last edited:
Need a power back which we have been missing for years. How many 5'11", 200 lbs guys do you need?

Diversity in the backfield is and has been needed for quite some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT