ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Hampton

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

if you're tired of "must win" football games the CAA is not the place for you...last week's "must win" Villanova game just allowed us to hold our ground with the six other squads with one, or fewer, CAA losses...

but you know what?...we play four of these six squads between now and November 19...the Spiders can pretty much control their own destiny...they just have to keep winning!

that should start this weekend at Hampton...as a heavy favorite it's a "must win" CAA road game...the Pirates have little to lose and I expect we'll take their best shot on Homecoming, but it won't matter if the Spiders take to Hampton the game we've seen since the CAA schedule began...

after all the rushing yards against Villanova I'm looking forward to seeing what the Hampton defense is willing to give us Saturday...it'll be Cosh v. Cosh...and it could be another big test for our hard nosed defense...Coach Huesman talked a lot earlier in the week about the Pirates strong group of WRs and their strong armed QB who likes to sling it long...

I expect Richmond will find a way to win another very important CAA "must win!"...

enjoy this week's Prologue...

long time Spiders fans should remember this....a legendary Spiders fan told me last weekend that the UR cheer most closely associated with the 2008 National Championship and many of the other great seasons between between 2005 and the present originated at Armstrong Stadium at Hampton...MOO DA CHAINS!!!...apparently the Hampton PA announcer used it after every Pirate 1st down during our FCS Playoff game there in 2005...thank you Pirates...

Go Spiders!

We are actually up by 14 and I thought we played solid the first half. It is extremely painful listening to the announcers and the terrible audio visual capability of Hampton.

Coach was really upset with the team in the Matt Smith interview heading into the half. Said they are not tackling and overall playing bad, should be 42-3

I did not watch or even listen much before that, so I don’t agree or disagree, just posting what he said.

I did not watch or even listen much before that, so I don’t agree or disagree, just posting what he said.
A couple of dropped TD passes plus had a TD called back because of an alignment penalty. Gave up an 80 yard screen pass TD because of missed tackles. Other than that, we dominated.

Reactions: KE Spider
Spiders take care of business. RU is ridiculous. Completed over 80% of passes to 11 receivers. Defense continues to improve and put pressure on QB while controlling running game. This is what good teams do to inferior opponents. Keep it rolling Spiders. Maine road trip is always difficult. Stay focused.

We attended the game today. It was a good day.rmer players Reggie Evans, Ken Gilliam, Reuben Turner, James Reid and Stan Jones were in attendance. It was great to see them again afte many years.

All of the Hampton supporters we met we very pleasant and helpful during the our game experience.

Spiders take care of business. RU is ridiculous. Completed over 80% of passes to 11 receivers. Defense continues to improve and put pressure on QB while controlling running game. This is what good teams do to inferior opponents. Keep it rolling Spiders. Maine road trip is always difficult. Stay focused.
“…Richmond played without Savon Smith (hip flexor), who rushed for 331 yards (second on team) and made 19 receptions in Richmond’s first six games, as well as its offensive line leader, tackle Joe More (concussion). Starting tight end Connor Deveney left early in the game with a left shoulder injury…”

How are hip flexor strains treated?​

You can treat most hip flexor strains at home using the RICE method:

• Rest: Stop the physical activity that caused your strain to avoid further damaging your muscle.
  • Ice: Apply an ice pack or cold compress for 10 to 15 minutes every hour for the first day after your injury. After one day, you can apply ice every three to four hours. Don’t apply ice directly to your skin (wrap the ice pack in a towel or washcloth).
  • Compression: Compression helps reduce blood flow to your injured muscle and reduces swelling. Apply a compression bandage or wrap around your hip. You can also wear compression shorts or pants to help keep pressure on your strained muscle.
  • Elevation: If possible, lift your hips and lower body above the level of your heart. Support your leg with pillows, blankets or cushions

Last edited:
I could wax poetic about my trip to the great good place and my fond memories of their home by the water, including my first collegiate swim meet being at HU, but I’ll be more present, and start with the great pregame lunch softshell crab at Graham and Rollins and attending the game with my 86 year old fil and my wife. We attended the Lauletta come from behind game in what 2016? and rolled into campus no problems, crab cake sandwich outside the stadium and sitting anywhere in the stadium. Yesterday wow! It took us an hour to get from G&R to the stadium due to traffic. My wife let my fil and me off near the convo center and had to park in Phoebus, the hub of the Universe. Outside the stadium was rocking for homecoming. Awesome. The HU folks were happy and helpful in assisting us and very engaging. The atmosphere outside the stadium is what college fb is about for the fans. I invited all of the Pirates, much to the laughter of my fil, to bring that party to UR next year! And yes our age old and I guess old age problem is how can we get any excitement going at our home games?

On the field we still unable to make the short yard. Reece tried a qb sneak in front of where we were sitting. He started in shotgun and ran quickly under center for the sneak. I don’t know if the ploy affected the timing but there was little line push. A Hampton player looked like he just reached out and grabbed Reese’s shoulder pad and pushed him to the ground.
The hit in Herrers was abit scary but he was back in the game. Team is fun to watch again.

Reactions: urfan1
I was there also and agree with the excitement and hospitality displayed by Hampton fans and alumni in the parking lots and the fanzone. That being said I was proud to be wearing red and supporting a quality team that is on track to hopefully win a conference championship and go on a playoff run that is long overdue. This team is doing what we need to bring excitement back and that is WIN. They are doing their part and now as fans we need to show up and support them. A win next week sets up an exciting 3 game finish with two of those games being at home.

To be honest, half the Hampton fans never left their tailgate other than the students that wanted to see the band and homecoming court. Let's be sure we challenge each other as fans and alumni to show up and not just tailgate but go into the game and support a quality team.

Correct. The tailgates and music continued during the game. I don’t think the stadium would have held all those folks. They did have a surge of energy after the long td. Our security clears the tailgates before the game. We still can’t fill the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT