ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Elon

For most of this game I thought we were finally playing better and would win. For most of the last ten minutes of game time I was left shaking my head and thinking "here goes another season."

Reactions: SpiderRick
If course , but prior to 4th down play, why didn’t we attempt to put game away with a td
Clearly Cosh and RH were not on the same page. I don't think Cosh had any idea that RH would go for TD on 4th down. I think his play calling would have been different had he known. And why would he if not told? Bizarre end to a drive that should have put the game away. We are better than Elon. Very disappointing loss.

8-3 gets us in

7-4 likely not

Nova is a must win,as is Hampton,as is Maine,as is UNH,as is WM

Our margin for future error was seriously diminished today.
Fair, but I still think there's a good chance at 7-4. Assuming those losses are @ Delaware and either UNH or Nova that would mean wins over UNH or Nova and William & Mary.

Wow. Crazy how so many of you guys flock to this thread after a loss that stings so much. Crickets after the SB win. But whatever. How many of you guys played for this program? Genuinely curious. Whole lot of people have a lot of balls to start calling out college kids for how they’re performing on Saturday’s. None of you feel worse than them! Seriously. I’ll talk particularly about the kicker… have any of you made that kick/kicks? Probably not. There’s a lot of things that need to be fixed with this ‘22 football team. Play calling, tackling, execution on special teams, and a lot more. They’re going to get up and practice Tuesday morning and give it all they got then go to class. Is everyone on here doing the same?? Have a whole lot of faith in this team and again, I promise they feel worse than we do. Stop being silly calling out the college kids and coaches.
Love the players and the program. Think we have a really really good qb in particular. I also think we have a very mediocre head coach and I think his record and lack of playoff appearances speak for themselves. I also think he’s a good man and his staff and players are trying their asses off but at some point there has to be a realization that we don’t out coach good/solid teams and Russ isn’t finding ways to win important, close games that will elevate us in the conference standings and into the playoffs. I’ve sat thru more games at City Stadium and Robins Stadium (I seem to be in the minority the last few years thanks to Russ’s results) than I can now remember. And you’d be surprised how many former players support the program but also want better.

Love the players and the program. Think we have a really really good qb in particular. I also think we have a very mediocre head coach and I think his record and lack of playoff appearances speak for themselves. I also think he’s a good man and his staff and players are trying their asses off but at some point there has to be a realization that we don’t out coach good/solid teams and Russ isn’t finding ways to win important, close games that will elevate us in the conference standings and into the playoffs. I’ve sat thru more games at City Stadium and Robins Stadium (I seem to be in the minority the last few years thanks to Russ’s results) than I can now remember. And you’d be surprised how many former players support the program but also want better.
Too young to have experienced City Stadium but I heard it was a whole lot of fun! I’m sure the team absolutely appreciates your support Cap, I know not many have came out to Robins to support the Spiders (hot or not) the past few years, so salute to you! Russ is far from perfect but I’ll defend him here. Have to disagree about Russ’s playoff appearances. Won a title as a DC and at UTC (granted not the CAA) he turned that program around and made some solid playoff runs. Think Russ and the players from the previous regime didn’t gel. Now, I think Russ has guys that believe in him. Not to mention he coached two of the NFLs best coaches at Bill and Mary.

to go undefeated in the CAA is some feat. As JMU is 5-0 in the FBS, should make us feel better. We still control our own destiny and I think our team is dang good. As I’ve said, the players and coaches will be on the field at 7 am Tuesday morning as we’re strolling into the office.

Too young to have experienced City Stadium but I heard it was a whole lot of fun! I’m sure the team absolutely appreciates your support Cap, I know not many have came out to Robins to support the Spiders (hot or not) the past few years, so salute to you! Russ is far from perfect but I’ll defend him here. Have to disagree about Russ’s playoff appearances. Won a title as a DC and at UTC (granted not the CAA) he turned that program around and made some solid playoff runs. Think Russ and the players from the previous regime didn’t gel. Now, I think Russ has guys that believe in him. Not to mention he coached two of the NFLs best coaches at Bill and Mary.

to go undefeated in the CAA is some feat. As JMU is 5-0 in the FBS, should make us feel better. We still control our own destiny and I think our team is dang good. As I’ve said, the players and coaches will be on the field at 7 am Tuesday morning as we’re strolling into the office.
But I also agree, there has to be more playoff appearances. Think they may have been snubbed a couple times (spring ‘21) but that’s part of having a “bad” record in the best conference in the FCS.

Couldn't watch game due to post hurricane effects down here.

so we were 4th and goal on the 5yd with 1:57 and up by 3

and we run a play that takes 8 sec off the clock and throw an incomplete pass rather than kick a FG and go up by 6 with 1:52 to go.Reece sprinted left and threw a pass across his body.Mahomes would have found that type of pass challenging.

Phoenix would then need a TD+PAT to win,not a FG to tie if Larsen FG successful.

with this unsuccessful play calling decision it seems we were either overconfident in our offense an/or over-confident in our defense or lacking confidence in our FG kicking even making a 22 yd FG attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
The entire possession was mind boggling. 1st and goal from 3, just under 3 minutes left, up 3. Score a TD you put the game away no matter how many TOs they have left. 1st down run for 3 yard loss. Elon calls TO. 2nd and goal from 6, 1 yard run. Elon calls TO. 3rd and goal, 2 yard run. Elon calls TO. At this point I'm cursing that we didn't try to score a TD to ice the game and instead were going to take a 6 point lead and try to hold on. Then on 4th down you gonfor it? If you are trying to ice the game, WTF were those three running plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down? Our short yardage running game SUCKS. Has sucked for years and sucks this year. We have a great QB and great WRs. So we were trying to make them use TOs to get rid of them on 1st through 3rd down expecting to score in 4th down? Didn't we try this against St. Francis and it almost backfired?

With this play calling decision it seems we we’re either overconfident in our offense an/or under-confident in our defense or lacking confidence in our FG kicking even a 22 yd FG attempt.
I would say it is over confidence in our defense, which couldn't stop the big play.

Every time I hear Huesman speak, I am more convinced that his IQ hovers around the speed limit.

I have gone a day to try to let the emotions of witnessing that loss settle. So many decisions we can all second guess. Like someone else mentioned much like the Villanova loss last year as each game on an opponents field was there for the taking. Coach says he was trying to win the game with a TD but if that's the case the play-calling has to be different on downs 1-3. Three runs up the middle was not going to get it done. Trust your QB to make the right decision to get a TD.

My second guess for the game comes on our last drive in regulation which few have mentioned. We get the ball at our own 25 with 37 seconds left and one timeout. After a masterful drive which included a 15 yard penalty on Elon, we spike the ball after a 15 yard pass to Herres for a first down at the Elon 26 with 13 seconds left and still one timeout remaining. We have the clock stopped and our entire playbook available to get closer for a kicker who has missed one FG and had one blocked already in the game. We come up to the line and our second down play is a handoff where the RB basically runs up to line and drops to get the ball placed for a FG. We then let the clock run down and call timeout to set up and miss a possible game winning 42 yard FG.

If you go for a 4th down TD instead of a FG the drive before, you would certainly think the coaches would have trusted our QB to try one more play to get as close as possible for the game winning FG. We make that FG and we all forget everything else that happened. We didn't and now have to all think about what could have been or maybe should have been.

This all makes the Villanova game huge. Hopefully the team and staff grow from this and our fans show up to support this talented team. We can still reach our goals but the margin for error has gotten a lot smaller at this point.

The Baltimore Ravens coach just made a similar decision and subsequently lost the game. Took a page right out of Huesman's playbook.

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
The Baltimore Ravens coach just made a similar decision and subsequently lost the game. Took a page right out of Huesman's playbook.
In post game, when being grilled, Harbaugh also said he trusted his defense if the play failed...the CBS studio crew went off on that...Cowher said if you trust your defense you give them the lead to protect!

Go Spiders!

In post game, when being grilled, Harbaugh also said he trusted his defense if the play failed...the CBS studio crew went off on that...Cowher said if you trust your defense you give them the lead to protect!

Go Spiders!
heard the same (always give your team the lead,and trust your D to protect it) HEAD COACHING 101

how about the players...

1. Not give up a 74 yard bomb on the first play of the game
2. Miss 3 field goals
3. Including one from the middle of the field (42 yards) on the last play of the game
4. Get a stop at the end regulation or in OT
5. Throw for 400 yards and score more than one TD

Harbaugh situation, completely different than Spiders. The game was tied in that one. If we kicked field goal (and remember at that point he was 1-3), we then have to kickoff and then defend. Russ was going for the only thing that would have guaranteed a victory- a Richmond TD. Now can you nit pick on the play calling-absolutely--but he made a decision, one of hundreds he and Cosh and the rest of the staff made on Saturday. You would hope w/ the game the defense played we could defend w/ no time outs (maybe 1, not sure) from the 5 yard line. Credit the Elon QB--he made the plays when he had to.

At the same time, we managed the last 42 seconds perfectly, middle of the field 25 yard line and Larson, who has been pretty good (first 3 years 32-42 76%) prior to this year. When you have a kicker that is only 50% on the year, there are no guarantees.

Not surprised at all with this result. Same story for 5 years now. Didn't have a problem with the call to go for it on 4th. Listened to the game because I hate flosports and wont give them my money so cant recall the play sequence which sounds like it left a lot to be desired.

In todays game its hard to trust a prevent defense to hold a one score lead in a two minute drill so going to go up two scores was the right call. If Elon goes down and scores a TD this entire board would be upset about why we didn't go for it or how annoying the prevent defense is.

Needed that victory though, just like we needed that Villanova victory last season. RH has had some good QBs in the past and 0 playoffs so show for it. If we piss away another All-American performance season from the QB because we cant play a complete game against a worthy opponent then its time for a new coach.

Under his leadership we saw our rival run laps around us and jump to another level of football where they are already about to be ranked in the AP (Albeit playing a similar SOS if you ask me). Mike London has an FBS victory under his belt. Danny Rocco his predecessor had more success at Delaware in the same timeframe and they fired him. I'm tired of excuses. I fear we are heading for another 6-5, 7-4 campaign. 7-4 would be a disappointment to me. To have any realistic shot once you make the playoffs you need to be 8-3. The season isnt over, but the road to our goal got far more difficult. No more excuses.

I like our coordinators and would be fine with handing over the reigns to one of them should we not find a better candidate. I just think the game has passed Russ by. His post game pouts at times are cringeworthy ("Half the fans hate me") and unbecoming of a strong leader. No Russ we don't hate you, just win baby!

Reactions: Captain Anderson
I don't hate the fact that Huesman decided to go for the touchdown instead of taking a sure(?) field goal. Problem is that they twiddled away the three downs before that. As others have said, it looked like they were setting up for a field goal. We can't run short yardage but we have an all-american at qb and the best group of wide receivers in the CAA for sure. And no pass attempt until 4th down when the whole world knew we were going to throw. Does anybody ever think out-of-the-box anymore? I know many of you hate gadget plays, but the only one we've tried these season that I can remember resulted in a touchdown from inside the 10 yard line. To the tight end no less.

Huesman is too predicable. Lord knows, if dumb old me knows what's coming, our opponents sure as hell do. And trick plays, even when they don't work, at least give our adversaries something to think about.

Reactions: Under Center
I am always a fan of the aggressive choice by a HC in those situations. But the 1st, 2nd, 3rd down play calls were NOT those of a coach trying to "win the game." He put all the pressure on one 4th down play. It really appeared like we were just trying to force Elon to burn all of their Time Outs (which we did).

The difference between 10 and 6 is MILES more than the difference between 6 and 3.

However, on 4th down, the 3 *has* to factor into the situation. You also need to be aware
*Best kicker in the CAA, possibly the FCS
*It's a lot easier to get into FG range than the end zone against prevent D in a two-minute drill

There was NO scenario where we weren't giving Elon time to drive.
On 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down, you're trusting your O to get to 10.
On 4th down from the 5, you HAVE to weigh the 3 as your worst case AND *most likely* outcome.

Excuses have run out. The Elon game, just like Villanova last season, was a great opportunity to get a win over a top CAA team and establish some momentum for this program. We clearly have the talent to compete and win against these good teams but we always seem to tighten up at the end of games and can't finish. You can blame the players for individual mistakes but the consistent inability to win these games against the better teams in the conference over several years ultimately comes down to coaching. Can we honestly say the we have a coaching advantage over any of the playoff caliber teams in the CAA? Next Saturday could have been an opportunity to have a bigger, more enthusiastic crowd at the Villanova game with some program momentum but instead we are in almost must win mode staring at another 6 or 7 win season. UR should look at this as an opportunity...no more guaranteed loss with JMU out of the conference...there is no excuse why we can't be a top 3 team in the CAA...with a good coaching hire.

Elon finds right mix for CAA success; its national ranking climbs after win over Richmond - alamancenews.com

Elon has a horseshoe up its collective a--. Both W&M and Richmond spit the bit. More lucky than good but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I'll take the w anyway I can get it. Richmond is getting ready to run the table. The curse of Scotty.

Elon has a horseshoe up its collective a--. Both W&M and Richmond spit the bit. More lucky than good but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I'll take the w anyway I can get it. Richmond is getting ready to run the table. The curse of Scotty.
Hope we will run the table. We have the players to do it. A single game from here on out can make the difference between playoffs or not. An Elon win would have us in sole possession of first place rather than 4 way tie for 5th!

Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
Elon crapped that horseshoe at URI throwing a pick6 for the loss. For Spiders 1 down 5 to go.

Reactions: urfan1 and URTOM68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT