ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Elon

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

by far the Spiders biggest FCS test of the season...Richmond has not defeated Elon since 2016...the foes stats season-to-date in many prominent offensive and defensive categories look very similar...

the former Fighting Christians have to come into this one feeling awful good about themselves after coming from 18 down to defeat the Indians in Williamsburg...their defense stuffed the red hot Tribe in the second half...a road win against a presumed CAA Championship contender can be pretty important when the dust settles in November...

but the Spiders are getting better every week...Coach Huesman finally exorcised the Stony Brook demon last week...maybe the Phoenix will be this week?...a Spiders win over Elon would be a lot like Elon's over W&M last week...

it looks like sloppy weather is likely on the grass turf at Rhodes Stadium...I have no idea whether, the wet/windy conditions give the offense, or defense an advantage...I think the team whose interior lines control the line of scrimmage has the advantage...

I like the improving Spiders to do just enough to win this one...after all, we're getting better every week!...

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

I believe your prologue is correct. With the weather, this has the makings of a game that will truly be won in the wet, windy trenches. UR very much may need to establish a run game to pull this one out. On a pleasant sunny day, I like UR's chances. If the weather dictates a strong running game, to this point I believe Elon has the edge. Here's to good weather and /or improved o-line play in opening holes for running backs.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I believe your prologue is correct. With the weather, this has the makings of a game that will truly be won in the wet, windy trenches. UR very much may need to establish a run game to pull this one out. On a pleasant sunny day, I like UR's chances. If the weather dictates a strong running game, to this point I believe Elon has the edge. Here's to good weather and /or improved o-line play in opening holes for running backs.
I expect Reece to keep us moving on short passes even if rainy

Weather looks greatly improved for Saturday.

preponderance of rain will be on Friday =3.0 inches

Grass field will get supersaturated on Friday.

Tapering of rain after midnight.Probability of rain on Saturday 20%

Winds 7mph.Rain amounts on Saturday .10 inch.

Advantage goes to WR and good cuts,This is good news for Reece.

Last edited:

Week 5-Sam Herder of HeroSports is a UR fan.Haley of Stats.Com is not.​

RELATED: Notable Games And How To Watch

No. 17 Richmond at No. 23 Elon

The only ranked vs. ranked matchup of the weekend. Transfer QBs Reece Udinski and Matthew McKay are leading their teams to great starts to the season, but the defenses should get some love too. Take out the FBS losses by both teams, and they are a combined 6-0. Richmond is allowing 11.3 PPG to those three FCS opponents, and Elon is allowing 18.3 PPG.

Elon is coming off of a wild 35-31 win at No. 14 William & Mary. Richmond’s performance was just as impressive, beating Stony Brook 51-7. The defenses are on par with each other, but Richmond’s offense offers a bit more explosive playmaking ability. The Spiders look legit, and they prove it Saturday.

Prediction: Richmond 28-24

Checked several weather service's forecast for Elon NC tomorrow. They seem to all imply about the same as this.
Saturday
Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Light northwest wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

That said it is a grass field and already plenty wet I would guess. Hopefully Spiders can run their regular offense which has been successful with high percentage passing mixed with sometimes successful rush game.
Elon looks legit, so hope the improving defense the Spiders have been building on continues to show progress, but a shootout type game would not surprise me.

Reactions: urfan1
Richmond will prove they are a force after today. I expect a good old fashion butt whooping. #RollSpide

Haley’s view:

CAA: No. 17 Richmond (3-1, 1-0) at No. 23 Elon (3-1, 1-0)

Kickoff: 2 p.m. (My48/FloSports)

Notable: This is the week’s only game between two ranked teams. Richmond QB Reece Udinski has an FCS-best 78.6 completion percentage (125 of 159) while passing for 279.5 yards per game and 11 TDs against one interception. Elon will try to play keep-away with ball control, its average time of possession of 34 minutes, 6 seconds ranking eighth in the FCS. In the Phoenix’s last two wins, RB Jalen Hampton has a combined 62 carries for 313 yards and three TDs. He should meet up a lot with Spiders LB Tristan Wheeler, whose next tackle will be the 300th of his career.

The Pick: Elon

Is there any tv / streaming available to those in the RVA other than flo sports?

Where's the defense? Screw ups on both sides of the ball. Coaches better straighten this out or this game is over

Horrendous play calling. 2nd and 24 in opponents territory and you run the ball? 300 yes total offense in the first half and only 14 points...pathetic

Elon faking injuries to stop the tempo?
Talk about going back in time. Was that the 2009 season where they had guys “hurt” for more than a dozen plays in a row? Was truly insane that they had a guy lying on the field after every play.

If Elon wins, that uncatchable bullshit flag from the home team refs lost this game. That was the biggest bullshit I’ve ever seen.

If Elon wins it is because of play calling and game management. Awful 3rd and short play calling leads to long fg attempts that we miss multiple times. And then what the $#!@ is that play calling at the end of the game???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT