ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Baseball

Tie game. Ellis is getting behind in the count and looking a little fatigued thus far. Weirather looking pumped.

Errors are pretty much the only reason VCU has any runs. They sure make us pay for them. Weirather is starting to fade despite playing hard. He deserved to stay in but you could tell after that first pitch to the guy who hit the GS he was probably done.

Reactions: Eight Legger
BROCK WEIRATHER threw an unheard # of pitches in 6,2 innings-128 pitches
Overworking Brock in Game 1 v VCU,even with 3 days rest,proved disastrous today.

Giving up 6 ER in 2.1 innings inclusive of a grand slam only meant that we were living on the ledge to begin the game.That 6 run hole was a huge handicap.

Our lack of pitching depth was our Achilles heel throughout the season which coach will hopefully address in offseason.

It was a shame that we lost Jordan SchuleFand to Maine as an Graduate transfer. Did not know he was a 4 year football player/baseball player, never heard any info on him from either sport but when he transferred to Maine this year he was outstanding in the outfield and spot pitcher for the baseball team. His coached attributed their success this year to him as a player and leader!

Seventh seed going in losers bracket after first game and to make it to championship game, without
top level pitching, is a great accomplishmen. Our bats were alive at the right time and were competitive
every game.

So hows this A10 finals run recap the baseball season?

I am an outside observer, but love baseball and always thought UR should be a place - especially in the A10, where we can have a successful team - but for some reason we really have not. Competing against northern schools - I would think location and weather would help us right off the bat.
But this season - started off hot, maybe weak schedule, maybe just got off to good start - but then when A10 play started - we cooled off. UR was in jeopardy of missing A10 tourney, but got in - loses right away and then makes it to finals from losers bracket. Overall - finish 30-26, but I think the A10 record is what really stung - 11-13 and finish 7th. Woodson has been at UR a long time - any chance of a change coming? Or are people generally happy with the results he has produced?

So hows this A10 finals run recap the baseball season?

I am an outside observer, but love baseball and always thought UR should be a place - especially in the A10, where we can have a successful team - but for some reason we really have not. Competing against northern schools - I would think location and weather would help us right off the bat.
But this season - started off hot, maybe weak schedule, maybe just got off to good start - but then when A10 play started - we cooled off. UR was in jeopardy of missing A10 tourney, but got in - loses right away and then makes it to finals from losers bracket. Overall - finish 30-26, but I think the A10 record is what really stung - 11-13 and finish 7th. Woodson has been at UR a long time - any chance of a change coming? Or are people generally happy with the results he has produced?
I do think the schedule was a little weak starting off, but I felt our pitching was the weak spot on the team. Maybe in early part of season Woodson used a lot pitchers simply to see who was going to be someone he could depend on in big situations. I think he had 3 or 4 starters and relievers he could count on but that was pretty much it. Hitting seemed to be our forte that kept us in games, but we gave up a lot of leads during the season due to our pitching limitations. Whether or not Woodson should go, I don't know considering he has 9 scholies to work with. Like a professional team if we have 3-4 solid starters and 2 decent relievers with our hitting, we are at top of the A10, but we had two starters who also were long and short relievers. I never felt we had a true closer, a stopper other teams would hate to face.

Reactions: urfan1
There is no excuse for the baseball program not to be fully-funded so we can offer the maximum # of scholarships. For that matter, there is no excuse for any of our sports not to be fully-funded.

We have a huge endowment for a school our size. There are ample unrestricted funds within this endowment that can be tapped. Money not being put to work is money wasted.

The excuse is that we're happy to compete, not necessarily win. As long as that goal is achieved, exactly the right amount of money is spent in the eyes of the administration.

There is no excuse for the baseball program not to be fully-funded so we can offer the maximum # of scholarships. For that matter, there is no excuse for any of our sports not to be fully-funded.

We have a huge endowment for a school our size. There are ample unrestricted funds within this endowment that can be tapped. Money not being put to work is money wasted.
So how many scholarships does UR fund? And what is the NCAA limit on scholarships for baseball?

We reportedly fund 9, while the max is 11.7 that can be split among up to 27 guys, with each of those getting at least 25%.

So almost 3 down. Lets assume 2.5 to be safe - you could give half a scholarship to 5 more players with that additional money. I wonder if there is a quick comparison with other A10 schools and how much they fund it.

I agree - no excuse why it shouldn't fully funded.

Really happy for the team this year to make that run! It was fun to track and wish we could have made it to the NCAAs!

To @SpiderTrap's question, I think it would be best for the program to move on from Woodson. We showed our true colors in A10 play. The out of conference schedule was deplorable as evidenced by our RPI -- believe it was in the high 280s?

I'm sure most will argue with 2 additional scholarships and resources he could build something here, I don't feel like he is the guy to build a program nor do I think those two scholarships would have a meaningful impact on results. There's a lot more to my perspective on this but I hope we move on. Without that run, we finish under. 500 yet again and not very competitive most of the year. We've only had 2 years in the last 6 (if I remember correctly) where we finished above .500 in conference play. If COVID didn't happen, he would have been gone already.

Last edited:
It is curious why we haven't done better with Woodson as coach? No reason the 2.7 in scholarships can't be funded to bring us to the max of 11.7 but that does not appear to be the only thing keeping us from better performance. I do not know what it is but we should be consistently better imho.

Woodson had a losing record at Valpo. He had one good season where they won the league and the tournament, and the next season they were middling but got hot for the conference tournament and earned a second bid. Certainly helped that the Horizon only had five teams participating that year.

The scholarship funding - has it always been this way, even back to our baseball glory days and super regional, or were we once fully funded and dropped back in recent years?

Are we not funding those extra scholies for Title IX reasons or just because we don't want to?

The root of it is that we don't want to. If it was just a Title IX thing, we could also add some more women's scholarships to fully fund those sports that are short.

Baseball has never been fully funded. Even in the old days of the Super Regional team, they did it on less than the full amount of scholarships. I actually believe they had less than 9 previously too.

We have a huge endowment for a school our size. There are ample unrestricted funds within this endowment that can be tapped. Money not being put to work is money wasted.That a boy, preach it !

Even without the additional scholarships, there is enough financial aid and other grant aid to recruit better than we have.

I support the team financially (not a big hitter, by any means) but it's probably time to move on. Woodson has had ample opportunity to show what he can do, and he hasn't done it.

Well - all I know is VCU, which plays in the same city, same weather, and we likely recruit similar players (admissions might be an issue in some cases like Basketball) - and they have been very successful the past few seasons.

Well - all I know is VCU, which plays in the same city, same weather, and we likely recruit similar players (admissions might be an issue in some cases like Basketball) - and they have been very successful the past few seasons.
This is a bad faith argument. When you only have 9 scholarships to give out and school costs 65k it’s a lot easier to recruit when the cost is 1/4 of that.

UR needs to abandon recruiting high schoolers in baseball and start picking up top Ivy/Patriot league under classmen or d3 all Americans. Our #1 was a d3 transfer from Grinnell. Recruit good players that can afford the tuition or shown that they can already.

Last edited:
This is a bad faith argument. When you only have 9 scholarships to give out and school costs 65k it’s a lot easier to recruit when the cost is 1/4 of that.

UR needs to abandon recruiting high schoolers in baseball and start picking up top Ivy/Patriot league under clansmen or d3 all americans. Our #1 was a d3 transfer from Grinnell. Recruit good players that can afford the tuition or shown that they can already.
But that is not accurate either. Clawson did this for football. Since the school will provide aid for only what you can afford. I believe he was able to recruit kids - have the school pay some of the tuition because of the lower income and then use the scholarship to cover the rest. Made the scholarships stretch a lot further.

But that is not accurate either. Clawson did this for football. Since the school will provide aid for only what you can afford. I believe he was able to recruit kids - have the school pay some of the tuition because of the lower income and then use the scholarship to cover the rest. Made the scholarships stretch a lot further.
I hear ya but we had 63 scholarships for football. That means most all your backups are on scholarship as well before you get to those practice players you speak of that later become solid role players at best. If a few diamonds in the rough emerge that’s great for the program but not why we had so much talent. We used scholarships to attract our best players. More than enough depth to help build a team. 9 scholarships to go around in baseball means most of your players are paying some sort of way. It’s apples and oranges. If i’m a HS recruit it’s cheaper to go to VCU with no financial aid than it is UR on a partial scholarship (excluding other potential externalities)

What clawson did is exactly what i’m suggesting minus recruiting high schoolers. Get guys at places not on scholarship and have them transfer to Richmond since they’ve already proven themselves on the collegiate level.

The proper argument we should be making is how is Davidson so far ahead of us? VCU makes complete sense.

Reactions: whampas
From White Sulphur Springs WVA. Played in 50 games, 43 starts, .213/.277/.298 slash line. Made the all-Big 12 freshman team in 2021.

Probably not going to be a star but a serviceable starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT