4/19 @ James Madison
4/22-4/24 vs George Washington
4/29-5/1 @ St. Bonaventure
5/3 vs VMI
5/6-5/8 vs George Mason
5/10 @ Towson
5/13-5/15 @ Dayton
5/19-5/21 vs Rhode Island

20 year anniversary of the 2002 super regional team. Hope the Athletic Department does something nice to honor them. Been a long time since we have been that good.

Part of my Spider Club donation goes to baseball and we just got an update from Woodson today. We have a ton of home games. It's past time for a big season.

Dear Wood Hall,

I am happy to report great updates on the Baseball Team as we head into the spring season.

As COVID protocols relax, the team and I are excited to be back out on the field. For the first time since I arrived here at Richmond, we were able to play two scrimmage games against outside competition this fall. Our first competitor was national power Vanderbilt at the USA complex in Cary, North Carolina! It was a great opportunity and experience as we played very well. I want to thank everyone who came to Cary to support the Spiders.

Two weeks later, the atmosphere was perfect with terrific weather and a strong turnout at Pitt Field as we hosted Paul D. Camp Community College. Again, I was extremely excited about our performance and what is to come in 2022 for our program.

As many of you may have noticed, President Hallock was in attendance cheering on the Spiders. His complete support of all athletic programs including baseball has been awesome for our student-athletes.

We hope to see everyone at Pitt Field for the 2022 season. Stay tuned as we are finalizing details to get alumni together this spring. Thank you for your continued support of Spider Baseball and I look forward to seeing you this year.

Have a great holiday season!!

Coach Tracy Woodson

No mention of the facility upgrades getting underway?

Are we getting prepared to move to the Patriot League in baseball, loaded with games this year with many teams😩😡

Having the new Prez win that State baseball Championship at Hopkins Academy Hadley,Mass in 1985 is providing some impetus here.Hardt managing up in this instance is astute.

Thursday game w/ St. Thomas cancelled. They will play tomorrow, weather looks beautiful. Not sure why they wouldn't play two 7s on Friday to take advantage of the weather; maybe that's a PNW thing. If the weather looks good for one day and crappy for the day after, play as much as you can on the nice day.

St. Thomas was already scheduled to play a double tomorrow...Sacred Heart at 9am and us at 1pm.

Reactions: Wood Hall
St. Thomas was already scheduled to play a double tomorrow...Sacred Heart at 9am and us at 1pm.
OK, did not know that Sacred Heart was also already in Richmond. Should be great weather, wish I could be there. Loved going to baseball games as a student. It's a program I think we could be very good in, with real investment and top-flight coaching.

Granted, the Tommies finished #2 in D-III last year after making it all the way to the CWS championship series, but still...doesn't feel like we should be heading to extras with them, which we are. They picked up their first-ever D-I win this morning against Sacred Heart.

Spiders worked around a leadoff walk to the Tommies in the top of the 12th (runner got as far as third on a couple of groundouts before a K to end the inning), and then Jason Neff hit a walk-off homer leading off the bottom to deliver a Spider win.

Tommies and Sacred Heart play again at 9am tomorrow, and the Spiders face Sacred Heart at 1. One more game against Sacred Heart at noon Sunday wraps up the weekend.

SH had a couple of close losses against St. Thomas this weekend, but Fordham blew them out 19–0 in their opener. The Pioneers are not good.

I know we have not played powerhouse teams yet, but 6-1 start is very good.

Spiders took a 2–1 lead into the 7th, but collapsed, giving up three homers in the inning to eventually fall to JMU, 9–2.

Four games in six days is pretty much the norm every week of the season though...three weekend games plus a midweek game. So it's not like it was an unusual stretch of schedule we were dealing with.

In fact, JMU was playing its fifth game in six days.

Crazy game today...Spiders pieced runs together here and there to build 6–2 lead heading into the ninth, but then disaster struck...had the Tigers down to their final out with a man on first but gave up a single, an error, a walk, another single, and finally a grand slam to fall behind 8–6.

But the Spiders refused to let it end that way, getting a two-run homer from Jason Neff and ultimately a walk-off single by Toso to score Beal and give the Spiders the 9–8 win.

Spiders are off until Thursday, when they host 1–11 Holy Cross for a four-game set after the Crusaders make a stop at VMI on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT