ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

I like Goose's 3 point form in the background of this video. Looks like more arc? Of course this is not game speed shooting which can speed a guy up and cause fundamental issues, but hoping for that look in games.

Not sure what to take of the Walz note by Moon - looked like he wanted to say something but not sure what exactly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: plydogg
JOC takes a look at our returning bench players and where they might fit into the lineup this season. No surprises in there.

one "surprise".

Connor Crabtree, 6-6 graduate: Averaged about eight minutes last season. Entering his final year as a Spider.
-----------------------
that sounds pretty definitive.

one "surprise".

Connor Crabtree, 6-6 graduate: Averaged about eight minutes last season. Entering his final year as a Spider.
-----------------------
Yeah, I mean it's 100% consistent with what Mooney has been saying. I really wish somebody would just address it head-on and explain the circumstances rather than this repeated spinning of this being his "extra" year when it's not.

one "surprise".

-----------------------
Ding, ding, ding. Glad this "mystery" has been solved.

so to sum this up ...
Smith, Reed and Tanner replace Goose, Grace and Crabtree.
we were looking to fill Burton's presumed spot with Durkin or Ball.
now we seem to be holding until after the season. if Burton has the season we expect and he goes pro, we'll look to fill his spot in the spring.

Reactions: urfan1
so to sum this up ...
Smith, Reed and Tanner replace Goose, Grace and Crabtree.
we were looking to fill Burton's presumed spot with Durkin or Ball.
now we seem to be holding until after the season. if Burton has the season we expect and he goes pro, we'll look to fill his spot in the spring.
Makes sense. Guessing it may be dependent on how Noyes and Bigelow look this year - as to whether going after a play now transfer or a high school wing. Maybe not as it seems that Mooney prefers transfers with 2+ years eligibility.

Probably the reason Mooney or anyone will not come out and say it is his final year is because he is still just a kid, although a 22 year old kid. Remember when we all thought Sherod was done after the second knee injury. He sat out the entire year, was basically a grad assistant on the bench, and then decided to come back and play that last year.

I got a feeling Mooney doesn't want to say anything, because he ultimately will leave it up to Crabtree at the end of the season. I mean - what if this team makes the sweet 16? And it looks like we could make another run next year? Or what if Crabtree has a surprising season, and thinks - one more season like that and maybe I can keep playing in Europe somewhere? Who knows - whatever the reason, i think Mooney just wants to leave the door open and I can't blame him.

I'm looking forward to seeing which ones are the 24 games that fatherspider thinks we will lose.
Oh come on now, lol. Thats not fair. There had not been a lot to be positive about the past many years and I was a realist who commented without the rosy glasses. The end of last season was a 10 day stretch to remember for a long time and I was as excited and thrilled for the University and the team as anyone. Im going to watch this years team play with a less urgency than years past and give CM a year reprieve. Im hoping Grace and Burton have tremendous years and the transfers surprise us. I will be at the Barclays for each game and hope for 10 OOC wins so there is reason to believe and NCAA bid is possible.

Oh come on now, lol. Thats not fair. There had not been a lot to be positive about the past many years and I was a realist who commented without the rosy glasses. The end of last season was a 10 day stretch to remember for a long time and I was as excited and thrilled for the University and the team as anyone. Im going to watch this years team play with a less urgency than years past and give CM a year reprieve. Im hoping Grace and Burton have tremendous years and the transfers surprise us. I will be at the Barclays for each game and hope for 10 OOC wins so there is reason to believe and NCAA bid is possible.
We got our hotel and flights booked for Brooklyn...excited to see the team get to play at the Barclays.

Wasn't there a Spiders tipoff breakfast today with Coach Mooney? I remember that being publicized. At some retirement center. Very on brand. No stereotyping!

Maybe someone has a report or interesting nuggets to share if they went. Thx.

Wasn't there a Spiders tipoff breakfast today with Coach Mooney? I remember that being publicized. At some retirement center. Very on brand. No stereotyping!

Maybe someone has a report or interesting nuggets to share if they went. Thx.
I would have gone, but had nurse visit at 7AM, Occupational Therapy at 7:45 AM, PT at 8:30, oatmeal at 9AM, and then was so tired back to bed and just checking spidernation.com now. Whewww. Big day already. I think it is almost naptime. I'll check around to see if any of my buddies made it down the hall to see the moon man.

I attended this morning. Would have liked to have seen a better attendance. It was great to see Joe Teefey introduce Coach Mooney. Many know him as a football team and track team member, but Joe and I lived thru a little remembered bit of history in 1972 when we were both Richmond City Council candidates …. An election neither of us won or lost due to a Supreme Court injunction delaying elections until 1977. Joe was and is a very thoughtful community leader, one of my favorites. Mooney reported on Cayo’s marriage and basketball in Poland, Sherod’s teaching opportunity held open at St.Christopher and Gilyard and Gilden likely being G League players a step away from NBA. Mention of Gilly being a future front office member benefitting from current experiences. In response to a question about offensive tempo, he said to expect a more deliberate style when Quinn is on.the court and a faster pace otherwise. Expect Grace to get lots of minutes at 4 and 5. I suspect similar topics Thursday eve. Mooney has improved his presentations by adding more humor compared to early days.

I am not writing Walz off as a long term impact player, but really see his role to come in and provide a minute or two here and there if Quinn/Grace are both limited at the same time due to fouls, injury, illness, etc. The guy is huge, I know he did not look great vs H.S. comp, but seemed pretty good on the AAU circuit. I kind of like the idea of him not redshirting - I think it forces a whole different level of mental readiness, knowing you can be put in the game at any minute. Would rather have him ready and getting a few scraps this year to better prepare for next three years, though I understand with Quinn back it seems like a roadblock.

I am not writing Walz off as a long term impact player, but really see his role to come in and provide a minute or two here and there if Quinn/Grace are both limited at the same time due to fouls, injury, illness, etc. The guy is huge, I know he did not look great vs H.S. comp, but seemed pretty good on the AAU circuit. I kind of like the idea of him not redshirting - I think it forces a whole different level of mental readiness, knowing you can be put in the game at any minute. Would rather have him ready and getting a few scraps this year to better prepare for next three years, though I understand with Quinn back it seems like a roadblock.
See Walz as the next generation of Grace. Over their head as a young player, sometimes cringe worthy, solid contributor as they develop and mature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT