ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Season outlook

SpiderDad75

Team Manager
Gold Member
May 12, 2020
Now that we know everyone is back. We are all excited, I would dare to say. What are some lineups(doesn’t have to be starting) you guys would like to see and what are some predictions record wise for the season? SpiderK’s original prediction was 10-21 and not making NIT 😶 I think even SpiderK will revise that prediction now.
As far as lineups “I” would like to see on the floor is Jason, Dji, TB, Matt, & Neal. But I also like replacing Matt out with Bigelow and moving TB to the 4 spot. Bigs is going to rebound, can shoot it and is a solid defender and is a heck of an athlete. I didn’t think TB would be in that spot much but I’ve changed my mind, I think he could be used there at least situationally. Also need the back up for Neal and so Matt gives us the best option at the 5. Not sure about Waltz & if we use him. If Matt sticks at the 4 then we may have to use him but I’m not sure if that realistic since he hasn’t gotten o campus yet or I think he will be starting Sunday . We’ve talked about most of this a lot already. I think we use Roche as matchup based and situational. Kid is absolutely going to play bc he can shoot it and has been doing that in wrkouts. I think Malcolm is also a very very strong guard who can help us in spots. Of course there is still Goose, Aidan, and Marcus but these are lineups of what “I” would like to see, nothing more. I think we have the potential to win 20 reg season games at the end of the day and make an NIT run and BEST case an NCAA shot, but I think with this group the NIT is attainable. Only 143 day remain before the start 😀🕷🏀 Thoughts?

Most athletic lineup: Nelson, Bailey, Roche, Burton, Bigelow
Most traditional Mooney lineup: Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn
Most closely resembling last year's lineup: Nelson, Goose, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn
Big lineup: Bailey, Crabtree, Burton, Grace, Quinn
Defensive lineup: Bailey, Goose, Randolph, Burton, Quinn
Instant offense lineup: Bailey, Roche, Crabtree, Burton, Grace

I am coming around more and more to Burton playing the "4" quite a bit for us. Golden State just won an NBA championship starting 6'8 and 6'6 on the inside.

I do think we have a bit of overload at 2-3, so Burton playing 4 would allow us to play more guys between Crabtree, Roche, Bigelow.

Interesting you specifically mentioned Dread. I remember looking at his h.s. highlights and the kid looked like a defensive stud - solid, moved his feet well, smart player. I will be very interested to see if Randolph, Dread, or Noyes gets some opportunity this year.

If Dji and Nelson can be good at the point, I feel like this is a team that could challenge in the A10 and for an NCAA bid. That is the goal every year at the top mid majors - which is what I always want us to emulate.

I am coming around more and more to Burton playing the "4" quite a bit for us. Golden State just won an NBA championship starting 6'8 and 6'6 on the inside.

I do think we have a bit of overload at 2-3, so Burton playing 4 would allow us to play more guys between Crabtree, Roche, Bigelow.

Interesting you specifically mentioned Dread. I remember looking at his h.s. highlights and the kid looked like a defensive stud - solid, moved his feet well, smart player. I will be very interested to see if Randolph, Dread, or Noyes gets some opportunity this year.

If Dji and Nelson can be good at the point, I feel like this is a team that could challenge in the A10 and for an NCAA bid. That is the goal every year at the top mid majors - which is what I always want us to emulate.
I forgot about Crab in my post 🤦🏼‍♂️ and def agree about the overload. Personally I love Jason and Dji in together. I can also see where Jason, Dji and Roche are on floor together and in that scenario Dji could slide to the 3 spot if we are assigning spots.

"Most traditional Mooney lineup: Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn" - this is really what matters, what Moon will do and we know he likes his comfort zone (no pun intended.)

I've posted my interchangeable lineup that I'd love to see in spells before but here it is again. This would be for 3-4 minutes per game as a change of pace. Press with it, utilize guard size on defense to stop the point of attack, and run a 5 out with shooters all over to change up the usual offense style.

Dji, Goose, Roche, Burton, Bigelow. (Crabtree also fits here if shooting prioritized over point of attack defense.)

Switch everything on defense, double the post and recover on kickouts. Nonstop picks to open shooters on offense. Press fullcourt to mitigate lack of defensive size. Run a smaller team off the court. If they try to play a big man, make him guard shooters at the 3 point line and open the driving lanes. Someone will be open or the lane will be.

Not sure about SDad's lineup. We lose Goose's defense and all around game, and don't have enough 3 point shooting. Not a good combo unless Jason and Dji can make enough 3s to keep the defense from packing the lane. Maybe I just haven't seen Dji enough, but I thought SDad said has been saying he is a PG, so I wasn't expecting him and Jason to play a lot together. I guess starting 2 PGs is fine, but they need to be able to shoot the ball. As of now, I was hoping for 40 minutes, but not more than that, from Jason and Dji. I am thinking Jason, Goose, Tyler, and Quinn will definitely be starting. I think advantage Grace for the last spot, but Bigelow or Roche could find their way in there as well.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Not sure about SDad's lineup. We lose Goose's defense and all around game, and don't have enough 3 point shooting. Not a good combo unless Jason and Dji can make enough 3s to keep the defense from packing the lane. Maybe I just haven't seen Dji enough, but I thought SDad said has been saying he is a PG, so I wasn't expecting him and Jason to play a lot together. I guess starting 2 PGs is fine, but they need to be able to shoot the ball. As of now, I was hoping for 40 minutes, but not more than that, from Jason and Dji. I am thinking Jason, Goose, Tyler, and Quinn will definitely be starting. I think advantage Grace for the last spot, but Bigelow or Roche could find their way in there as well.
I hear you with Goose…I know you love the 3…but does Goose shoot better than those two? Right now yes bc we don’t have really any evidence to go on except for Goose. Who says we can’t have 2 PGs on floor at same time. Jason and Dji’s game are similar from what I’ve seen, one is just bigger and can post you up & will post you up. I really like those scenarios come A10 time. You may be right about them not being on the court together but I think we may just see that. You’re not wrong about who may be starting but this doesn’t just have to be starting…just who you would like to see at any point in time. I like Eight Leggers breakdown. I’m going out on a limb and say Goose and Dji are our two best defenders with Bigelow being pretty solid as well. The thing I love from some insider info pov…Dji says he makes it a point to guard the best player in every wrk out and has told coach I want player X. I love that in ANY player. We have some fun lineups but we will see in 143 days who has separated themselves. We will have everyone on campus by Monday. To quote my favorite Star Wars Character “This is Where the Fun Begins” 🕷🏀

Most athletic lineup: Nelson, Bailey, Roche, Burton, Bigelow
Most traditional Mooney lineup: Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn
Most closely resembling last year's lineup: Nelson, Goose, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn
Big lineup: Bailey, Crabtree, Burton, Grace, Quinn
Defensive lineup: Bailey, Goose, Randolph, Burton, Quinn
Instant offense lineup: Bailey, Roche, Crabtree, Burton, Grace
I’m dying to know the following:

Eight Legger’s Lineup:

Now that we know everyone is back. We are all excited, I would dare to say. What are some lineups(doesn’t have to be starting) you guys would like to see and what are some predictions record wise for the season? SpiderK’s original prediction was 10-21 and not making NIT 😶 I think even SpiderK will revise that prediction now.
As far as lineups “I” would like to see on the floor is Jason, Dji, TB, Matt, & Neal. But I also like replacing Matt out with Bigelow and moving TB to the 4 spot. Bigs is going to rebound, can shoot it and is a solid defender and is a heck of an athlete. I didn’t think TB would be in that spot much but I’ve changed my mind, I think he could be used there at least situationally. Also need the back up for Neal and so Matt gives us the best option at the 5. Not sure about Waltz & if we use him. If Matt sticks at the 4 then we may have to use him but I’m not sure if that realistic since he hasn’t gotten o campus yet or I think he will be starting Sunday . We’ve talked about most of this a lot already. I think we use Roche as matchup based and situational. Kid is absolutely going to play bc he can shoot it and has been doing that in wrkouts. I think Malcolm is also a very very strong guard who can help us in spots. Of course there is still Goose, Aidan, and Marcus but these are lineups of what “I” would like to see, nothing more. I think we have the potential to win 20 reg season games at the end of the day and make an NIT run and BEST case an NCAA shot, but I think with this group the NIT is attainable. Only 143 day remain before the start 😀🕷🏀 Thoughts?
Thank you, great post.
I hate our schedule but otherwise excited!!

I feel pretty confident in saying that the OOC rotation will be mostly 9 guys: Nelson, Dji, Goose, Roche, Crabtree, Bigelow, Burton, Grace, and Quinn. Randolph will be 10, and that's a harsh reality, because I did like his attitude on the court. I don't expect to see much of Noyes or Dread, and very little of Walz. Not because I don't think they can play, but because they've got a lot of guys ahead of them.

I think it will settle to 8 by conference season, and my guess is the odd man out of the 9-man rotation will be either Goose or Crabtree, but only if Dji stops playing deferentially, and starts playing like he deserves to be out there. If he passes up shots or drives, etc., or is mostly just moving the ball around the perimeter and running to a spot, he'll be the odd man out. If he becomes more alpha (and I don't think you have to shoot a lot to be alpha), then I think he'll keep his spot and grow his time. Kind of like the NIT, when he and Isaiah knew they were going to get their time because of injuries, they played confidently and well.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the OOC rotation will be mostly 9 guys: Nelson, Dji, Goose, Roche, Crabtree, Bigelow, Burton, Grace, and Quinn. Randolph will be 10, and that's a harsh reality, because I did like his attitude on the court. I don't expect to see much of Noyes or Dread, and very little of Walz. Not because I don't think they can play, but because they've got a lot of guys ahead of them.

I think it will settle to 8 by conference season, and my guess is the odd man out of the 9-man rotation will be either Goose or Crabtree, but only if Dji stops playing deferentially, and starts playing like he deserves to be out there. If he passes up shots or drives, etc., or is mostly just moving the ball around the perimeter and running to a spot, he'll be the odd man out. If he becomes more alpha (and I don't think you have to shoot a lot to be alpha), then I think he'll keep his spot and grow his time. Kind of like the NIT, when he and Isaiah knew they were going to get their time because of injuries, they played confidently and well.
Solid

I’m dying to know the following:

Eight Legger’s Lineup:
My starters would be Nelson, Roche, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn. Bailey and Goose first two off the bench. Some games I would start Bailey and Goose in place of Nelson and Roche. I think those four all end up with roughly the same amount of minutes, Goose probably with the most because he's the veteran.

I'm giving Roche whatever minutes I can until he proves he can't make 40% of his threes or he can't play any defense.

Reactions: spiderman
My starters would be Nelson, Roche, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn. Bailey and Goose first two off the bench. Some games I would start Bailey and Goose in place of Nelson and Roche. I think those four all end up with roughly the same amount of minutes, Goose probably with the most because he's the veteran.

I'm giving Roche whatever minutes I can until he proves he can't make 40% of his threes or he can't play any defense.
Would Grace come in with Dji & Goose?

We know Burton, but assuming everyone is healthy, with the next 8 it feels weird taking any of them off the floor.

We may have tried 6 but I doubt they would let us get away with 9...

Reactions: gospidersgo

Goose odd man out? No chance. Goose was getting 30 some minutes a lot of games last year, and was a big reason we went dancing. I just don't see how both players could change so dramatically that all of a sudden Dji beats out Goose. Unless I'm missing something, I feel like I know Randolph's game about as much as Dji's, and I don't hear anyone screaming for Randolph to start. Maybe I am missing something, but I'm just trying to post how I feel, and not be influenced just because Dji's Dad is on here.

Goose odd man out? No chance. Goose was getting 30 some minutes a lot of games last year, and was a big reason we went dancing. I just don't see how both players could change so dramatically that all of a sudden Dji beats out Goose. Unless I'm missing something, I feel like I know Randolph's game about as much as Dji's, and I don't hear anyone screaming for Randolph to start. Maybe I am missing something, but I'm just trying to post how I feel, and not be influenced just because Dji's Dad is on here.
To play devils advocate…what if any of those guys are just better and have surpassed Goose? So then it wouldn’t be about who got outworked or who was better…would that be safe to say?

To play devils advocate…what if any of those guys are just better and have surpassed Goose? So then it wouldn’t be about who got outworked or who was better…would that be safe to say?
Sure, that could happen, but the 2nd half of last season, Goose was getting 30 some minutes, and Crabtree and Dji very few minutes. That is why I said it would take dramatic changes in all of their games for them to pass Goose.

Sure, that could happen, but the 2nd half of last season, Goose was getting 30 some minutes, and Crabtree and Dji very few minutes. That is why I said it would take dramatic changes in all of their games for them to pass Goose.
To be fair Dji was injured and even once cleared wasn’t 100%. Crab example is on point though.

Goose 30+ min starter on ncaa team 5th year guy best defender on team...yet u foresee 50% chance he falls out of 9 man rotation. Smh. Love your handle kneepad but man some of the stuff on here.

yeah likely a lot of spiderfans lineups different if we had other parents on here

yeah likely a lot of spiderfans lineups different if we had other parents on here
For the record…I said who “you would like” to see in some lineups…not starting,not whose set in stone…just who would everyone like to see…everyone’s lineup will have some commonalities but also view guys & the game differently. Let’s not lose our minds over what people would “like” to see. Again if a lot on the board go to the “best players play” then what IF Goose gets surpassed or any other returner? Does the better player play? Some can’t see that bc he’s a 5th yr guy. I’m not saying it will happen. Some want it both ways in terms best players play or Coach is going to be loyal etc…But what might be a better player to you or I may not be for the staff. I thought it would be fun to see who likes what in terms of lineups not start a fight per say.

that could be but SpiderDad is the only parent on here now and pretty sure as has been said before knows he is in a unique position here …. It’s not quite the same thing as my under 10 soccer coach insisting that his mediocre son play center forward :) just my 2 cents and I think it’s been to healthy to have a back and forth about lineup stuff today than some of the other less valuable topics in recent weeks

For the record…I said who “you would like” to see in some lineups…not starting,not whose set in stone…just who would everyone like to see…everyone’s lineup will have some commonalities but also view guys & the game differently. Let’s not lose our minds over what people would “like” to see. Again if a lot on the board go to the “best players play” then what IF Goose gets surpassed or any other returner? Does the better player play? Some can’t see that bc he’s a 5th yr guy. I’m not saying it will happen. Some want it both ways in terms best players play or Coach is going to be loyal etc…But what might be a better player to you or I may not be for the staff. I thought it would be fun to see who likes what in terms of lineups not start a fight per say.

I responded to vt4700 comment thought he made good point & just added to it. Who is fighting. I was bewildered about goose falling out of a hypothetical 9 man rotation. Seems crazy to me but it’s ok all entitled to own opinion.

Lineups I would like to see (Not starting)
Height
Dji
Goose
Burton
Grace
Quinn

Change of pace
JayNel
Roche
Burton
Bigelow
Quinn

Veteran
Goose
Crab
Burton
MFG
Quinn

Blowout
Dji/JN
Dread
Noyes
Randolph
Walz

Yolo
Burton
Bigelow
MFG
Walz
Quin

I don't really know what our 3 point lineup would look like or a starting one considering all the other variables. Just would like to see these trotted out on the floor at times.

Lineups I would like to see (Not starting)
Height
Dji
Goose
Burton
Grace
Quinn

Change of pace
JayNel
Roche
Burton
Bigelow
Quinn

Veteran
Goose
Crab
Burton
MFG
Quinn

Blowout
Dji/JN
Dread
Noyes
Randolph
Walz

Yolo
Burton
Bigelow
MFG
Walz
Quin

I don't really know what our 3 point lineup would look like or a starting one considering all the other variables. Just would like to see these trotted out on the floor at times.
Good post…this is what I like seeing. Just us throwing out what any of us would like to see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember going into a season with feeling comfortable with 9+ guys playing. We lost so much production and yet it feels like we can go two deep at every position if you count Grace as a 5. We probably won't have any one lineup as good as we had last year, but being able to have so many options, letting the guys battle out PT, and not forcing anyone to play 40 minutes is going to be great.

Don't like prognosticating a starting/closing lineup when we're so far out and we don't know what's happening in practice, but I'm hoping we can be more match-up dependent and use our flexibility to our advantage. I'm not concerned about the talent--iron is going to sharpen iron and I think we'll have the horses. But how the season goes will be a big reflection on how Mooney applies those options versus being able to rely on Gilly + Goose + Tyler.+ Cayo + Grant with Nick and Matt sprinkled in. Baseline for me is NIT and a top 6 conference finish, anything above that is a bonus.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember going into a season with feeling comfortable with 9+ guys playing. We lost so much production and yet it feels like we can go two deep at every position if you count Grace as a 5. We probably won't have any one lineup as good as we had last year, but being able to have so many options, letting the guys battle out PT, and not forcing anyone to play 40 minutes is going to be great.

Don't like prognosticating a starting/closing lineup when we're so far out and we don't know what's happening in practice, but I'm hoping we can be more match-up dependent and use our flexibility to our advantage. I'm not concerned about the talent--iron is going to sharpen iron and I think we'll have the horses. But how the season goes will be a big reflection on how Mooney applies those options versus being able to rely on Gilly + Goose + Tyler.+ Cayo + Grant with Nick and Matt sprinkled in. Baseline for me is NIT and a top 6 conference finish, anything above that is a bonus.
Well stated…I think most of us can agree with your last sentence or at least that’s pretty much the way I think.

Reactions: RollSpiders
that could be but SpiderDad is the only parent on here now and pretty sure as has been said before knows he is in a unique position here …. It’s not quite the same thing as my under 10 soccer coach insisting that his mediocre son play center forward :) just my 2 cents and I think it’s been to healthy to have a back and forth about lineup stuff today than some of the other less valuable topics in recent weeks
Those of us who have followed our team forever and Mooney’s entire career here are also in a unique position to understand how he operates, his loyalties, and his patterns. He is quite predictable in his coaching and decision making with only minimal deviation from what his history tells us. I expect a continuation of who he is and how he will determine starters. The traditional lineup previously mentioned seems the most logical based upon this.

Lots of lineups here I'd like to see, but I will say this - - - I don't want to see any lineup that includes Grace and Quinn at the same time unless its literally the last 20 seconds of a half and we are holding for the last shot. Our defense (and our perimeter defense especially) will be a real struggle with those two together. Quinn can play some on the offensive end, but I fear he will make us long for Grant's defense which isn't a good thing!

Kind of like the NIT, when he and Isaiah knew they were going to get their time because of injuries, they played confidently and well.
I'm not sure confidently and well fit here. In 31 minutes, Dji had a combined 5 points, 1 assist and 3 turnovers in the 2 NIT games. Wilson, in 34 minutes, had a combined 4 points, 3 assists, and 2 turnovers. It is fine for us to disagree, but just trying to keep it real here. There is a lot of love for Dji on here, more than I have ever seen on here for a player as unproven as him. I hope he proves me wrong, but what I see in 191 minutes is 0-9 from 3, with 5 assists and 12 turnovers. Those are key stats for a PG in our offense. Our PGs have always shot the 3 and taken care of the basketball, so I am just in the not sure mode.

I'm not sure confidently and well fit here. In 31 minutes, Dji had a combined 5 points, 1 assist and 3 turnovers in the 2 NIT games. Wilson, in 34 minutes, had a combined 4 points, 3 assists, and 2 turnovers. It is fine for us to disagree, but just trying to keep it real here. There is a lot of love for Dji on here, more than I have ever seen on here for a player as unproven as him. I hope he proves me wrong, but what I see in 191 minutes is 0-9 from 3, with 5 assists and 12 turnovers. Those are key stats for a PG in our offense. Our PGs have always shot the 3 and taken care of the basketball, so I am just in the not sure mode.
Fair…unproven for the most. We appreciate the love and the I won’t say hate but not so much love 😀 VT you’re a stat/evidence guy no doubt. The 3pt stat I just don’t care about as we can agree to disagree and the TOs def will improve absolutely not worried about those. Would you say that players do more that just score and can impact the game? Dji was taught to make an impact, whatever coach needs you to do, do! …did we need him to score, was that his specific role these past 2 yrs? I’m going to say no and I’ve said this before and most on here/if not didn’t follow Dji in HS/AAU. He is not a guy you throw in for 2-3 min and think he going to chuck up 3s…it’s not his game. At the cost of sounding like a broken record he’s an old school playmaking guard. He does everything really good but needs to be great at 1 thing. Everyone has to prove themselves no doubt and should have to. At the risk of sounding like a butt & I really don’t mean it that way…he was recruited and offered by P5 schools & ACC Schools for reason. But no doubt he has to prove it and proving people wrong is what he’s done his whole life(I know sounds cliche) but it’s true. If he can’t then he simply doesn’t play but I certainly have faith he’s going to open eyes…God didn’t bring him this far. Last thing back to topic…since I don’t think I’ve seen it from you what You think our record looks like? ✊🏼🕷🏀

I think Dji is an interesting case in that A) We have seen some flashes B) decomit from ACC C) eye test he has plus size and athleticism for guard D) has not b played much due to injury and opportunity. So still a high potential guy. But yes to 4700 point a lot more discussion than u would normally see for a 3rd year guy without much stats. I do recall some careless turnovers that got him the super quick hook. Flip side of that is he rarely had chance to get in flow of game. If he plays like that ACC recruit this year that would give us a big weapon, on top of the proven transfers and returnees.

I think Dji is an interesting case in that A) We have seen some flashes B) decomit from ACC C) eye test he has plus size and athleticism for guard D) has not b played much due to injury and opportunity. So still a high potential guy. But yes to 4700 point a lot more discussion than u would normally see for a 3rd year guy without much stats. I do recall some careless turnovers that got him the super quick hook. Flip side of that is he rarely had chance to get in flow of game. If he plays like that ACC recruit this year that would give us a big weapon, on top of the proven transfers and returnees.
We all know that the Moon hook is quickly initiated for all but starters (and even sometimes for starters). Just wondering if this impacts confidence levels in those hoping for court time. My guess is some more than others??

Plenty of times when the hook comes down then the player never saw playing time again that game.

Fair…unproven for the most. We appreciate the love and the I won’t say hate but not so much love 😀 VT you’re a stat/evidence guy no doubt. The 3pt stat I just don’t care about as we can agree to disagree and the TOs def will improve absolutely not worried about those. Would you say that players do more that just score and can impact the game? Dji was taught to make an impact, whatever coach needs you to do, do! …did we need him to score, was that his specific role these past 2 yrs? I’m going to say no and I’ve said this before and most on here/if not didn’t follow Dji in HS/AAU. He is not a guy you throw in for 2-3 min and think he going to chuck up 3s…it’s not his game. At the cost of sounding like a broken record he’s an old school playmaking guard. He does everything really good but needs to be great at 1 thing. Everyone has to prove themselves no doubt and should have to. At the risk of sounding like a butt & I really don’t mean it that way…he was recruited and offered by P5 schools & ACC Schools for reason. But no doubt he has to prove it and proving people wrong is what he’s done his whole life(I know sounds cliche) but it’s true. If he can’t then he simply doesn’t play but I certainly have faith he’s going to open eyes…God didn’t bring him this far. Last thing back to topic…since I don’t think I’ve seen it from you what You think our record looks like? ✊🏼🕷🏀
I don't mean to sound negative about Dji. I really don't. I guess I am mainly just replying to what I think is a bunch of hype about him on this board. I have said before I am looking forward to seeing him play more, and see what he can do. But, I feel the same about Randolph, Dread, and Noyes. To me, Dji is just as unproven as them. I like all of these guys, Dji included, but I just don't hear the love for any of them that I hear for Dji. I don't mean to only show negative stats, and I know you can pick and choose stats, but my point is based on limited minutes, we don't have a lot of positive stats out there. So, again, I just don't get the extra love shown. That's all.

As for offers, I don't think that matters at all. How many power schools wish they would have offered Tyler? There are hits and misses every year. I didn't follow Dji's recruiting. What other power and ACC schools offered him?

I think we have enough talent to get to 23-8 this year. That is always my goal with what I think is a solid, talented team of ours. I think it is important as a non power school, to finish with single digit losses, including the A-10 tourney. But, we need good PG play to get there because I feel really good about our other spots. Also, with some new pieces this year, it will be a lot easier to get a feel for this team after about 7-10 OOC games. So, 23-8 is clearly just an optimistic, on paper prediction right now. And, that being said, 23-8 is never easy to do, so I would not consider the season a failure if we maybe get 20 or 21 wins. 20-11 or 21-10 is still pretty solid, but we all know, no matter the resume, 10 or more losses would make it very difficult to dance. So, you have to set a goal accordingly. I just feel the goal should be a top 4 A-10 finish, which usually would mean 13 A-10 wins, meaning that and a 10-3 OOC would get us to 23-8.

We all know that the Moon hook is quickly initiated for all but starters (and even sometimes for starters). Just wondering if this impacts confidence levels in those hoping for court time. My guess is some more than others??

Plenty of times when the hook comes down then the player never saw playing time again that game.
I think a lot of times the so called quick hook is due to sloppy, unforced turnovers. It is crucial for us to not turn the ball over much and to win the turnover battle. Our style of play will often lead to losing the rebounding battle, so we had better win the turnover battle. While other teams like SLU might preach rebounding, we preach protecting the basketball.

I don't mean to sound negative about Dji. I really don't. I guess I am mainly just replying to what I think is a bunch of hype about him on this board. I have said before I am looking forward to seeing him play more, and see what he can do. But, I feel the same about Randolph, Dread, and Noyes. To me, Dji is just as unproven as them. I like all of these guys, Dji included, but I just don't hear the love for any of them that I hear for Dji. I don't mean to only show negative stats, and I know you can pick and choose stats, but my point is based on limited minutes, we don't have a lot of positive stats out there. So, again, I just don't get the extra love shown. That's all.

As for offers, I don't think that matters at all. How many power schools wish they would have offered Tyler? There are hits and misses every year. I didn't follow Dji's recruiting. What other power and ACC schools offered him?

I think we have enough talent to get to 23-8 this year. That is always my goal with what I think is a solid, talented team of ours. I think it is important as a non power school, to finish with single digit losses, including the A-10 tourney. But, we need good PG play to get there because I feel really good about our other spots. Also, with some new pieces this year, it will be a lot easier to get a feel for this team after about 7-10 OOC games. So, 23-8 is clearly just an optimistic, on paper prediction right now. And, that being said, 23-8 is never easy to do, so I would not consider the season a failure if we maybe get 20 or 21 wins. 20-11 or 21-10 is still pretty solid, but we all know, no matter the resume, 10 or more losses would make it very difficult to dance. So, you have to set a goal accordingly. I just feel the goal should be a top 4 A-10 finish, which usually would mean 13 A-10 wins, meaning that and a 10-3 OOC would get us to 23-8.
I didn’t take it as bad. Only reason I mentioned offers (bc it doesn’t really mean anything) but I was just saying they recruited him for a reason and that says something. Do those schools miss judge recruits? Absolutely.
After he was released it was a waiting game with some schools bc of draft being pushed back and Covid. Ga Tech(Pastner wanted us to wait & we didn’t), UNC (Coach Williams contingent on K Walton. His decision between UNC or Minnesota) Butler and USC( Cali not SC ) were the biggest but we didn’t publicize these. Garner Road(Coach West) handled most of this for us. It came down to UR & Iona and Pitino didn’t put any value into academics at least dealing with our questions. Dji loved UR (location, academics & staff) as it was similar to Wake and the rest is history.
23-8 is tough but attainable with this group but again lots of unknowns. I’m thinking Top 5 finish and NIT is very good season. NCAA would be icing 😀🕷🏀

ADVERTISEMENT