ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Record Prediction

he's only got a few sentences for each team. the "there's always next year" is for every team he doesn't have in the postseason.

here's Gilly sticking up for our PG position:
Hope Jaynel/Dji put those up in their lockers as motivation.

Hopefully all these guys come storming out the gate to start the season, eager to prove last year was no fluke and they're ready to carry the torch.

Last edited:
I certainly don't agree with it. But you know that is a list of who has the best platoon of point guards?
Since he doesn't know their backups, he has Collins, Smith & Loyer a bit lower.
I think if a player hasn't had minutes or recruiting ranking, he is discounting them...
I don't have a problem with the ranking. A team has to be 15th, and we have a guy who redshirted last year, and a guy who played 124 minutes at non PG last year. I have said all along PG is the key spot for us this year because it is hard to assume what Nelson and Dji might do. I am excited about Nelson, and think he will be a good one, but until we see it, I think it is very fair to rank us last. Right now, all these guys know from our PGs is high school highlights, which doesn't always translate to college. So, based on the unknown and inexperience factor, where is he really supposed to rank our PG spot right now?

Best case scenario in my eyes is they rank us dead last in everything. The more motivation the better. To the media: Please disrespect us so we can show how wrong you are. Going to be a lot of supposed “experts” eating crow in 5 months

Media day is indeed on Thursday, and Mooney will be in the 11:30 interview group. The Field of 68 guys are also launching an A-10 hoops podcast, and Mooney will be on at 1:00 for the initial episode going live from media day.

I don't have a problem with the ranking. A team has to be 15th, and we have a guy who redshirted last year, and a guy who played 124 minutes at non PG last year. I have said all along PG is the key spot for us this year because it is hard to assume what Nelson and Dji might do. I am excited about Nelson, and think he will be a good one, but until we see it, I think it is very fair to rank us last. Right now, all these guys know from our PGs is high school highlights, which doesn't always translate to college. So, based on the unknown and inexperience factor, where is he really supposed to rank our PG spot right now?
I agree about the ranking and inexperience as well. I don’t have an issue with his ranking. The problem I had was the comments he used to justify it. Just say inexperience and leave it at that. Instead he pulling things out of his behind and when he was called out he resulted to the ranking systems.

I agree about the ranking and inexperience as well. I don’t have an issue with his ranking. The problem I had was the comments he used to justify it. Just say inexperience and leave it at that. Instead he pulling things out of his behind and when he was called out he resulted to the ranking systems.
I see what you mean after reading where he said we don't have a true PG on the roster. Also, he said he loved Loyer, but is concerned about Loyer's back up. Why worry about back ups when doing PG rankings? Loyer played 30 minutes a game last year, and will probably get more this year. That would be like ranking us a little lower at PG last year because you were worried about Jacob's back up. Makes no sense.

How is Dji doing? I know we have had differing opinions on stuff, but I am looking forward to seeing him play more and seeing what he can bring. Is he playing mostly PG right now?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderDad75
All I know is that knowing our team, our coach and our history with point guards in this league, one would have to be an idiot to rank us dead last in the conference for point guard play this year. This dude will have to eat this tweet later this year.

I see what you mean after reading where he said we don't have a true PG on the roster. Also, he said he loved Loyer, but is concerned about Loyer's back up. Why worry about back ups when doing PG rankings? Loyer played 30 minutes a game last year, and will probably get more this year. That would be like ranking us a little lower at PG last year because you were worried about Jacob's back up. Makes no sense.

How is Dji doing? I know we have had differing opinions on stuff, but I am looking forward to seeing him play more and seeing what he can bring. Is he playing mostly PG right now?
Thanks for asking…he is doing well. Has had a great summer and preseason. He’s very close to 200lb He has been running point and it’s been a mix of him and Jason together and them on opposite teams. Both have looked really solid. I think the starting 5 have gone back and forth this preseason if I can call it that. I really don’t know what group starts us off. I do think Dji will be an important piece for us as will Jaynel whether they both start or one comes off the bench. I personally think Dji and Gus will our best defenders esp on ball. Zay is also pretty solid and I love his game. Only 27 days 😀🕷️🏀

All I know is that knowing our team, our coach and our history with point guards in this league, one would have to be an idiot to rank us dead last in the conference for point guard play this year. This dude will have to eat this tweet later this year.
Agreed…I love keeping receipts😀 Some may call me Petty Labelle 😂

When I responded on Twitter he says he exaggerated then went on to say Dji and Jason haven’t played any minutes. When I pointed that out he then said he used the Kenpom and other systems. My complaint is do your research before dropping something like that. We are unproven that’s true but the way he spun it was we didn’t have any true PGs. When called out he changed up. Can you imagine a D1 school caught not having any true PGs? Like if we needed one or 2 we would have looked in the portal but we didn’t bc we have two. That was my thing with that guy. Just lazy ranking and predicting imo. 28 days and I’m getting a little antsy. 😀🫣🕷️🏀
It's called, "University of Richmond, 2004-05".

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Ok fellas. I might be feeling optimistic since it’s game day but here is my final prediction.

Spiders go 25-6 and make the NCAA tournament, winning at least one game again.

Biggest unknown is clearly Nelson — need him to live up to his potential early if my prediction is to come true. I’m also most exposed to Quinn but I think he’s going to be one of the best centers in the country this year.

Goose will surprise people as he will be a better scorer this year than previous ones as he makes this a priority during games. I also think Grace will give a lot of solid minutes and exceed expectations.

Bench is deep this year with Bigelow and Dji leading the way.

Lets go!!

Who’s with me?

Ok fellas. I might be feeling optimistic since it’s game day but here is my final prediction.

Spiders go 25-6 and make the NCAA tournament, winning at least one game again.

Biggest unknown is clearly Nelson — need him to live up to his potential early if my prediction is to come true. I’m also most exposed to Quinn but I think he’s going to be one of the best centers in the country this year.

Goose will surprise people as he will be a better scorer this year than previous ones as he makes this a priority during games. I also think Grace will give a lot of solid minutes and exceed expectations.

Bench is deep this year with Bigelow and Dji leading the way.

Lets go!!

Who’s with me?
ha! we can all hope you're right on the record, the NCAA, Quinn, Nelson and all the rest, but I'm shocked there's no mention of Burton?

do you have him playing All-American caliber basketball? or is that a given?

I appreciate your optimism, tonight is like spring in baseball...every team has a clean slate to build on...I think there will be some ups and downs as the team finds it chemistry together, some patience will be needed, but believe good times are ahead...

Go Spiders!

ha! we can all hope you're right on the record, the NCAA, Quinn, Nelson and all the rest, but I'm shocked there's no mention of Burton?

do you have him playing All-American caliber basketball? or is that a given?

I appreciate your optimism, tonight is like spring in baseball...every team has a clean slate to build on...I think there will be some ups and downs as the team finds it chemistry together, some patience will be needed, but believe good times are ahead...

Go Spiders!
Thanks. I didn’t call out Burton as he’s the most known quantity on this team. Expect him to be the one leading them all year, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I suspect his leadership position will help him with his defensive effort, which will be needed if this team has any chance to achieve its potential.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
We moved up from 95 to 89 in KenPom (projecting 19–11 and 11–7) and from 116 to 113 in Torvik (projecting 17–13 and 9–9)...both are omitting our second MTE game since opponent isn't known.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
We moved up from 95 to 89 in KenPom (projecting 19–11 and 11–7) and from 116 to 113 in Torvik (projecting 17–13 and 9–9)...both are omitting our second MTE game since opponent isn't known.
11-7 also takes us from losing a tie for 4th to being 4th outright.
Never too early for A-10 seeding...

Not sure where to post this, so @Spiders05 please feel free to delete if not allowed. I bought tickets for my daughter and I to hit up the empire classic, but she made the high school team, so I can no longer make it. I have two great seats for both nights, aisle seats. Night one they are behind spider bench section 25 row 6, seats 1 and 2, second night they are section 25 row 4 seats 1 and 2. Not trying to make money, will sell at a loss, $350 for both nights. feel free to text me if interested 312 502 3862

Not sure where to post this, so @Spiders05 please feel free to delete if not allowed. I bought tickets for my daughter and I to hit up the empire classic, but she made the high school team, so I can no longer make it. I have two great seats for both nights, aisle seats. Night one they are behind spider bench section 25 row 6, seats 1 and 2, second night they are section 25 row 4 seats 1 and 2. Not trying to make money, will sell at a loss, $350 for both nights. feel free to text me if interested 312 502 3862
You might want to post on the alumni FB site … warning to whomever gets the tix as I think you know my group is going to be in row 4 and 5 both nights so we could be a bit loud and rowdy especially on Monday since we will have been watching the USA soccer match in the afternoon

Up to 81 in KenPom (still projecting 19–11 and 11–7) and 109 in Torvik (now projecting 18–12 and 10–8).

For the Empire Classic Games, is that confirmed that sec 25 is Richmond section behind the bench. Was just wondering b/c if you look at SeatGeek, the primary marketplace, it looks like it is across from the home bench. I may be interpreting there map incorrectly, and was also thinking they would have cuse as home team for some reason:

For the Empire Classic Games, is that confirmed that sec 25 is Richmond section behind the bench. Was just wondering b/c if you look at SeatGeek, the primary marketplace, it looks like it is across from the home bench. I may be interpreting there map incorrectly, and was also thinking they would have cuse as home team for some reason:
I believe section 25 is across the court .. similar to NCAA Buffalo tourney since one tix gets you in to two games versus GA like A10 tourney and the mad dash scramble to be behind the bench. Think in thie case we got the section across the court vs behind the bench. We're in rows 4 and 5 of this section both nights.

Up to 81 in KenPom (still projecting 19–11 and 11–7) and 109 in Torvik (now projecting 18–12 and 10–8).
Now 84 in KenPom and 113 in Torvik.

Not a whole lot of movement since these guys keep preseason ratings heavily weighted at first.

KenPom has Charleston at 176 while Torvik has them at 111.

How soon after 12/12 is the first NET usually?
I believe the first one is actually supposed to be 12/5 this year.

Anyway, we're now at 88 in KenPom and (18–12, 10–8 predicted) and 124 (16–14, 9–9) in Torvik.

Last season we were 10-8, 19-12 at the end of the regular season.
If this season we are 11-7, 18-13 at the end of the regular season.

How differently would you feel about this season vs last season?

Last season was a tremendous disappointment at that point.

This season I'd probably be "okay" with 11–7, 18–13, but we've definitely got some work to do to get there it appears. I'm willing to accept that Charleston seems pretty darn good. I'm not sold on Wichita yet.

7–6 OOC prediction seems bad, but it shouldn't be out the realm of expectation...'Cuse, St. John's/Temple, Toledo, Drake, and Clemson are all games where we will probably be underdogs. Losing four of those six would not be surprising at all.

VMI - W
N Iowa -L
Charleston - L
Wichita St. L
Syracuse - L
St. John's/Temple - L
Toledo - W
W&M - W
Drake - L
FDU - W
Clemson - L
Bucknell - W
Coppin St - W

@ George Mason - L
George Washington -W
Duquesne - W
@ Davidson -L
@ St. Bonaventure - W
Rhode Island - W
VCU - L
@ UMass -W
@ Dayton - L
St. Bonaventure -W
Fordham - W
@ George Washington - W
Loyola-Chicago - L
@ La Salle - W
Saint Louis - L
@ VCU - L
@ Saint Joseph's -W
George Mason - L

16-15
This one is not that far off.

I actually feel pretty similarly in that we shouldn't be consistently losing these type of games to CoC, WSU or Drake or Utah State.
We don't consistently lose these type of games. After being frustrated with a loss, I guess it is always easy to look back at losses and forget the wins. Last year, we beat Hofstra, Wofford, Toledo, and No. Iowa, whch I would call "these type of games". Of course, it will look consistently bad when you mention Drake, who went 13-5 last year in the MVC, and not mention No. Iowa, who went 14-4 in the MVC last year, and mention Utah St., who won 18 games last year, and not mention Toledo, who won 26 games last year, Hofstra, who won 21, and Wofford, who won 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: POMSpidur
We don't consistently lose these type of games.
Over the last 3 seasons, with the best class ever, we’ve lost these type of games to:

St. joe’s
Drake
Hofstra
La Salle
Duquesne
Radford

And before that, in ONE season, we had nonconference losses to:

Longwood
Wyoming
Hampton
Oral Roberts
Old Dominion

We consistently lose these types of games. Usually by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Reactions: whampas
Over the last 3 seasons, with the best class ever, we’ve lost these type of games to:

St. joe’s
Drake
Hofstra
La Salle
Duquesne
Radford

And before that, in ONE season, we had nonconference losses to:

Longwood
Wyoming
Hampton
Oral Roberts
Old Dominion

We consistently lose these types of games. Usually by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Naming conference games are not equivalent to non conference season. These types of games? We haven’t played an AAC team since Cincinnati in 2017….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT