ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Record Prediction

Somehow their leading scorer isn’t their best player but ours is. I just am struggling to see how it works one way but not the other. But that’s OK.
Because Brajkovic did a ton of things well. You can’t just look at who scores the most and automatically declare him your best player. Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t. Burton is our best returning player because he does the most things well among our guys.

Because Brajkovic did a ton of things well. You can’t just look at who scores the most and automatically declare him your best player. Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t. Burton is our best returning player because he does the most things well among our guys.
Brajkovic reminds me of Blaster from the Master Blaster duo in the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Someone bring a dog whistle next time we play them.

Mooney had 4 guys that played his system for 5 years. How long will it take for this bunch to pick it up?
Spider Dad could have some insight.

Somehow their leading scorer isn’t their best player but ours is. I just am struggling to see how it works one way but not the other. But that’s OK.
Our best player last year was Jacob Gilyard. Whether he averaged 30 points or zero points he was our best player. Why do you prefer disparaging our program rather than bringing it to the forefront. Your expectations are so low, it really is sad

I’ll say it again… this POM guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Sounds like he has a friend on the team, but doesn’t change that his posts lack substance / knowledge of the team.

Mooney had 4 guys that played his system for 5 years. How long will it take for this bunch to pick it up?
Spider Dad could have some insight.
Based on what little I’ve seen so far our guys are picking it up. There are a few youngsters that struggle a little but I think that’s expected. It’s def different team this year…and that’s not a knock on last years team.

Lol, you could also say 1-30. Moondog is back!

I have to at least see the first preseason game before making any kind of prediction. We have absolutely no idea what we have. Point guard? Center? We only know 3 players.
don’t give me this crap.

You predicted that we wouldn’t win more than 9 games this year halfway through last year. Now you want to see preseason, which by the way we aren’t allowed to see?

Is this true, kneepad?! SpiderK, how would you like to defend yourself to this allegation?
Was this before or after post #13 here

post #10 here

post #344 here

Last edited:
And check out post 106 right before that one, liked by 11 people on here.

And check out post 106 right before that one, liked by 11 people on here.
To be fair, there were 9 likes and 2 "haha's" :):)

I do think this year is going to reveal a lot about Mooney's ability to manage a roster and coach. He did do a very good job of working the portal, bringing back our veteran talent, and having young talent ready. Excellent job. I think we have more proven talent than anyone other than SLU and maybe Dayton.

The unmitigated gall and ridiculousness of someone revising an opinion or prediction after obtaining new information. It is appalling to think that anyone could change their mind after learning new facts! The right thing to do is to hold everyone accountable for whatever they say, at whatever moment. No consideration should ever be given for the inclusion of updated information.

At the time of K's prediction, fans were looking at a a team that a.) that was losing multiple 5-6 year regulars, AND, b.) who didn't know if Burton and Grace were coming back, AND, c.) who didn't know the freshman commits, AND d.) who didn't know what if any players would be obtained thru the portal.

If the team had stayed as it was when K's prediction was made, THAT team would very likely have won less than 10-games. However, data has changed. I didn't see where anyone said that the current team as configured would win less than 10-games. Did I miss it? Would some of you data hounds be kind enough to point out the thread and post quote # for the rest of us?

The unmitigated gall and ridiculousness of someone revising an opinion or prediction after obtaining new information. It is appalling to think that anyone could change their mind after learning new facts! The right thing to do is to hold everyone accountable for whatever they say, at whatever moment. No consideration should ever be given for the inclusion of updated information.

At the time of K's prediction, fans were looking at a a team that a.) that was losing multiple 5-6 year regulars, AND, b.) who didn't know if Burton and Grace were coming back, AND, c.) who didn't know the freshman commits, AND d.) who didn't know what if any players would be obtained thru the portal.

If the team had stayed as it was when K's prediction was made, THAT team would very likely have won less than 10-games. However, data has changed. I didn't see where anyone said that the current team as configured would win less than 10-games. Did I miss it? Would some of you data hounds be kind enough to point out the thread and post quote # for the rest of us?
You are right I should be able to include updated information, now point me to the Bookie where I can bet today on the Spiders beating Iowa in the 2022 NCAA tournament, since I have updated information.

SpiderK was predicting single digits wins, Kneepad was predicting more (at the same time) because he was predicting the team would change. Both were predicting before the Tournament was over.

If there was a bet, should K be able to update his bet because there is new information?

Reactions: VT4700

The fact you thought this team, transfers or not, would “very likely have won less than 10-games” is ridiculous. Are you a fan of this team?

Reactions: VT4700
some fans were frustrated and made bad predictions with way too little information at that point to make any predicitions at all. no big deal.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Yep, I don't think many of us were expecting us to land 3 proven players, much less pursue 3 players in the portal. Instant experience and all three bring needed skills to potentially fill holes. It would have been exciting to go into the season expecting to see Noyes/Randolph/Dread/Nelson/Walz play big roles, but experience is big in college hoops so expectations are much elevated with additions of Quinn, Roche and Bigelow. I am fascinated to see how it plays out and how Mooney manages the roster. Really excited to see Nelson. Agree with VT, pg play will be huge. He is getting a lot of votes of confidence from Gilly, Burton, Mooney, etc. THat is exciting.

Yep, I don't think many of us were expecting us to land 3 proven players, much less pursue 3 players in the portal. Instant experience and all three bring needed skills to potentially fill holes. It would have been exciting to go into the season expecting to see Noyes/Randolph/Dread/Nelson/Walz play big roles, but experience is big in college hoops so expectations are much elevated with additions of Quinn, Roche and Bigelow. I am fascinated to see how it plays out and how Mooney manages the roster. Really excited to see Nelson. Agree with VT, pg play will be huge. He is getting a lot of votes of confidence from Gilly, Burton, Mooney, etc. THat is exciting.
Spider23, you are in the running for most improved poster this off-season. Keep it up.

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
I’ll say it again… this POM guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Sounds like he has a friend on the team, but doesn’t change that his posts lack substance / knowledge of the team.
How does that make sense? Some people here said Gilly was our best player some people said Tyler. But I’m wrong for thinking Loyer was their best player and seeing how people predict Davidson is going to be better than UR… Makes a lot of sense.
I’m reasoning with the people who made the list, but yet I don’t know what I’m talking about.
Plydogg my expectations are a little low for this team, but I think most are really high. I think there is a middle ground for where UR ends up

I think it is completely fair game to call someone out for overreactionary bullshit like, "we won't even win 9 games next year" in real time, which I did.

Or to back it up by offering a bet that whomever is wrong never posts again, which I did.

Since, you know, some of us can foresee that (a) some players would get better; (b) some players that weren't playing a lot would be good; and/or (c) we would get other players through the transfer portal.

So I do actually think it is galling to post the uber-trolling messages of "we won't even win 9 games" just to be an a$$, and then also get the benefit of the doubt 6 months later by saying "I don't want to make a prediction because I want to see how we look in preseason."

Maybe if I waited until we won game 10 and then dredged it up, but that's not what I did. I called it out right away, and I'm not letting it die, because it annoyed me then and it re-annoyed me in this thread when the same poster is asking for some forbearance.

You are right I should be able to include updated information, now point me to the Bookie where I can bet today on the Spiders beating Iowa in the 2022 NCAA tournament, since I have updated information.

SpiderK was predicting single digits wins, Kneepad was predicting more (at the same time) because he was predicting the team would change. Both were predicting before the Tournament was over.

If there was a bet, should K be able to update his bet because there is new information?
Yes, I should be able to adjust my prediction. Knowing what we had coming back at the end of the season, I would still say achieving double digit wins would have been far fetched. Now with three portal players we know very little about, an unknown point guard replacement, many new coaches, I would say it is still up in the air. Even with the heavenly gift of Tyler’s return, I still want to see the first game or practice game before judging what kind of team we will have.

next year Grace, Goose, Burton and Crabtree are gone. we don't know for sure if Quinn and Bigelow are coming back. and we haven't signed anyone in the 2023 class yet.
the only guys we know are back with any college playing time are Roche, Bailey and Randolph ... and they might transfer. we won't score 40 ppg much less win 10 games.

or is it too soon to make predictions?

next year Grace, Goose, Burton and Crabtree are gone. we don't know for sure if Quinn and Bigelow are coming back. and we haven't signed anyone in the 2023 class yet.
the only guys we know are back with any college playing time are Roche, Bailey and Randolph ... and they might transfer. we won't score 40 ppg much less win 10 games.

or is it too soon to make predictions?
You seem optimistic compared to my prediction.

All players transfer out before the end of this month, and no freshman commit and no transfers in for the next decade...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Lighten up Francis.

"There's always next year"

Surprised with the UMass love on this one. I guess if you went by recruit rankings out of high school, they would be top 3.
I said this on Twitter and I will say it here. This article is terrible. If you are in the media and you’re gonna do predictions cool, but how about do your research on the teams. That goes for the beat writers on down to bloggers and podcasters. It’s getting to be the same on every level…HS is horrible but now that lazy type of sports journalism has made its way into college. We got 3 guys in Tyler, Matt, and Gus that all have tons of experience and will have big roles this year & nothing was said except about TB. Instead of actually writing something tangible we get “There’s always next year” …Good morning and sorry… rants over 😀🕷🏀

I said this on Twitter and I will say it here. This article is terrible. If you are in the media and you’re gonna do predictions cool, but how about do your research on the teams. That goes for the beat writers on down to bloggers and podcasters. It’s getting to be the same on every level…HS is horrible but now that lazy type of sports journalism has made its way into college. We got 3 guys in Tyler, Matt, and Gus that all have tons of experience and will have big roles this year & nothing was said except about TB. Instead of actually writing something tangible we get “There’s always next year” …Good morning and sorry… rants over 😀🕷🏀

agree there’s plenty of bad research or writing out there. But don’t really see it specifically here w this article. Sweeney has solid enough rep out there for hoops. He only has so many words, players will be missed. “There’s only next year”, yes bit of a shtick, but it was used same for all teams he didn’t project to postseason.

as far as being upset w 7th let’s see the formal A10 preseason coaches & media poll. He’s probably close on us. Can’t see us being picked higher than 5th there and I’ll be little surprised if we are. That said it’s ok ppl r sleeping on us & I believe we’ll beat outsider perceptions & expectations.

agree there’s plenty of bad research or writing out there. But don’t really see it specifically here w this article. Sweeney has solid enough rep out there for hoops. He only has so many words, players will be missed. “There’s only next year”, yes bit of a shtick, but it was used same for all teams he didn’t project to postseason.

as far as being upset w 7th let’s see the formal A10 preseason coaches & media poll. He’s probably close on us. Can’t see us being picked higher than 5th there and I’ll be little surprised if we are. That said it’s ok ppl r sleeping on us & I believe we’ll beat outsider perceptions & expectations.
For sure, I get why but if we are doing write ups just do it right. Maybe that's the teacher in me. 😀

I feel like there are obvious reasons for the media to be down on us -- we were just #6 in the regular season and we lost several talented experienced players.

But there are also valid reasons for us to believe we will do better than the projections. There was little difference between the top 6 A10 teams last year, and given that we won the A10 tournament and beat Iowa, we were clearly not #6 in that group.

We really only lost two special players in Gilyard and Golden. But we have two guys with high major offers and college accolades coming in -- Quinn and Roche -- and they both have exactly the right skill sets for Mooney's offense.

I think the old guard got too complacent losing games from their early years at Richmond. I expect the new team dynamic to switch from "Its ok we lost, we might win the rest of our games", to being locked in on winning every game. If our team played with the same fire throughout the season they did in the post-season, we would have finished top 3, and maybe would have been regular season champions.

Yeah saw that last night..Neal did too. We need the season to start before I go crazy😂

I think that ranking is dumb. & much different than the SI article. And think it's good ppl are interacting with it, we need more of that imo, and the Tom Gola guy wants it I'm sure bc then it gets more attention. Obv it got noticed by players etc. But on other hand nothing to be too worked about imo either. Because there's a distinction between that guy w 250 followers and Kevin Sweeney who freelanced for SI. I tend to give benefit of doubt on who is "media", the Tom Gola guy may be credentialed by Lasalle idk. For instance Noah Goldberg was a student but also media. But right now it feels kind of like if a Spiderfans poster did a list & tweeted it. Lasalle would be last on all my lists.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I think that ranking is dumb. & much different than the SI article. And think it's good ppl are interacting with it, we need more of that imo, and the Tom Gola guy wants it I'm sure bc then it gets more attention. Obv it got noticed by players etc. But on other hand nothing to be too worked about imo either. Because there's a distinction between that guy w 250 followers and Kevin Sweeney who freelanced for SI. I tend to give benefit of doubt on who is "media", the Tom Gola guy may be credentialed by Lasalle idk. For instance Noah Goldberg was a student but also media. But right now it feels kind of like if a Spiderfans poster did a list & tweeted it. Lasalle would be last on all my lists.
All fair and solid points G

I certainly don't agree with it. But you know that is a list of who has the best platoon of point guards?
Since he doesn't know their backups, he has Collins, Smith & Loyer a bit lower.
I think if a player hasn't had minutes or recruiting ranking, he is discounting them...

I certainly don't agree with it. But you know that is a list of who has the best platoon of point guards?
Since he doesn't know their backups, he has Collins, Smith & Loyer a bit lower.
I think if a player hasn't had minutes or recruiting ranking, he is discounting them...
When I responded on Twitter he says he exaggerated then went on to say Dji and Jason haven’t played any minutes. When I pointed that out he then said he used the Kenpom and other systems. My complaint is do your research before dropping something like that. We are unproven that’s true but the way he spun it was we didn’t have any true PGs. When called out he changed up. Can you imagine a D1 school caught not having any true PGs? Like if we needed one or 2 we would have looked in the portal but we didn’t bc we have two. That was my thing with that guy. Just lazy ranking and predicting imo. 28 days and I’m getting a little antsy. 😀🫣🕷️🏀

To be fair, if he did his deep dive on Torvik, he's been led to believe either Dread or Goose will be our starting PG while Dji and Nelson will be our 9th and 10th men.

• Haha
When I responded on Twitter he says he exaggerated then went on to say Dji and Jason haven’t played any minutes. When I pointed that out he then said he used the Kenpom and other systems. My complaint is do your research before dropping something like that. We are unproven that’s true but the way he spun it was we didn’t have any true PGs. When called out he changed up. Can you imagine a D1 school caught not having any true PGs? Like if we needed one or 2 we would have looked in the portal but we didn’t bc we have two. That was my thing with that guy. Just lazy ranking and predicting imo. 28 days and I’m getting a little antsy. 😀🫣🕷️🏀
I think the easiest position to fill in the portal is PG. (whether they're good or not is another story)
but we didn't even try. says a lot about what Mooney thinks of us at the point.

we might have some bumps early, but we're in good shape long term.

I think the old guard got too complacent losing games from their early years at Richmond. I expect the new team dynamic to switch from "Its ok we lost, we might win the rest of our games", to being locked in on winning every game. If our team played with the same fire throughout the season they did in the post-season, we would have finished top 3, and maybe would have been regular season champions.
This right here. I would second that mental mindset of our team as it was constructed the past 2 years. They could explain a loss away with the best of them. Obviously, last year's team was able to turn it on when it counted but that was certainly a frustrating thing to hear after losses the past couple of years.

Reactions: spider23
I think the easiest position to fill in the portal is PG. (whether they're good or not is another story)
but we didn't even try. says a lot about what Mooney thinks of us at the point.

we might have some bumps early, but we're in good shape long term.
Agree totally

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT