ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Record Prediction

I am liking the off season VT and agreeing more and more :). I do think we have win now talent as well. Who and how exactly remains to be seen. I am a lot higher on Quinn (if healthy obviously) based on seeing the footage from working out with the team. He is 7 feet, very skilled, not super quick, BUT he is 7 feet and I think if his foot heals he is showing a dedication to being better shape and conditioning than at Lafayette. I think Roche and Bigelow are both big contributors - just will be on Mooney as to how/when they slot in. No reason not to be optimistic on 9-22-22.

Reactions: urfan1
This is a rebuild year and you guys are insisting that is not the case. If that was your expectation it would be understandable when the team doesn’t win 20 games here. But I’m sure we can blame mooney for your unrealistic expectations.
20 wins with our schedule makes us an NIT team. So, are you saying that with Roche, Quinn, Bigelow coming through the transfer portal, an A-10 POY candidate in Burton and some good senior leadership with Goose and Grace that your expectation that this team not even make the NIT field this year?

I think with our talent this team should be an NIT level team and I bet when the A-10 preseason ranking comes out that most folks in the A-10 circle would agree with. I'm sure the players think they have postseason potential as well, so I guess they have unrealistic expectations as well.

Reactions: urfan1
The Busting Brackets one was discussed a few weeks ago when it came out.

Media day is October 13.

I thought I had read 10/13 but couldn't find it again...

Rothstein said it "per release" a few days ago but I couldn't find the release. 🤷‍♂️

My comparison of teams is not about a player to player comparison, but from an overall standpoint. The roster is one thing to look at, but so is the schedule and outcome. Everything is speculation, but that is what you do before the season starts. History does tend to repeat itself and the head coach is the same. As I said in my first post on this subject, my prediction is my most optimistic one, but based on everything that has happened to date, I think we are in for a “good Mooney” year. This means I don’t expect the Forum to be on fire 🔥 during the season like in years past.

So I agree with the assessment of the OOC and A10 portions of the schedule to get to 20 wins.

I also agree with POM in that having “high[er] expectations” does set oneself up for a possible letdown, but I really think we are going to see a team with a different attitude and energy this year. Can’t wait for the season to start.

Go Spiders!
Agree that their is a possibility of seeing "a team with a different attitude and energy." In my opinion that was always an issue with Golden, Gilyard, et al. Attitude and energy was the difference when Gilyard got hot and led them thru the A-10 tourney and Iowa. Without the change in Gilyard, the end-of-season victories would not have happened.

It is probable that improved "attitude and energy" will make this team fun to root for, the question is whether or not they can jell as a team in time to make another late season run. I suspect that by year's end, the Spiders will be a more dangerous opponent then their record foretells.

This is a rebuild year and you guys are insisting that is not the case. If that was your expectation it would be understandable when the team doesn’t win 20 games here. But I’m sure we can blame mooney for your unrealistic expectations.
Loser attitude. We brought in transfers to win now. 20 wins is not what it used to be with the increased number of games. I expect this team to be in the mix for an A10 championship. Then again, that is my expectation every year. Plenty of proven talent on the team to have a very good year. It's on CM to make sure the team gels and is successful.

I don’t think 97 is “insisting it’s not a rebuild year”. What he’s saying is CM is the head coach, so he’s ultimately accountable for the record.

I agree it could be a little irrational to think the team will post 20 wins, we couldn’t do it last year with an ultra experienced team. But with that said, the notion that CM gets a pass because he just graduated a bunch of fifth and sixth year guys and doesn’t have much to work with is setting the bar super low.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Loser attitude. We brought in transfers to win now. 20 wins is not what it used to be with the increased number of games. I expect this team to be in the mix for an A10 championship. Then again, that is my expectation every year. Plenty of proven talent on the team to have a very good year. It's on CM to make sure the team gels and is successful.
Right, how depressing is to have your expectations for the season to be not even make any postseason appearance. I can't imagine, the coaches, players, or anyone associated with our program going into this year thinking that way.

Maybe we should prevent anyone of Portuguese ancestry entry into the University.
They were the number one exporters of slaves to America.
And while we’re at it, we better check every African American that comes to U.R. and make
sure their ancestry isn’t from the tribes that captured and turned over other tribal peoples
to be sold as slaves.

The Almanac projects UR 6th in the A10.
They project a Quinn, Grace, Burton, Goose, Nelson starting lineup.
Says Roche and Bigelow will both have huge impacts on the rotation.
and a footnote ... keep an eye on freshman Michael Walz. After joining the team in June, Walz
has quickly proven he is a strong, physical player and above-average athlete at the
center position.

Last edited:
The project a Quinn, Grace, Burton, Goose, Nelson starting lineup.
and a footnote ... keep an eye on freshman Michael Walz. After joining the team in June, Walz
has quickly proven he is a strong, physical player and above-average athlete at the
center position.
Love the Walz news and glad they got the fact that GrCd will be a starter day one correct.

Blue Ribbon also has us 6th, but has some diffrent observations.

looks like the same starting 5 (at least they're talked about first), but then talks next of Dji who Mooney calls "a critical player for us". calls him a playmaker who gives us a different look at the point.

re: Walz, Blue Ribbon's not as effusive as the Almanac. says he's probably need time to acclimate to the speed and physicality of the college game.

(not due to agreeing or not with their Spider analysis ... if you're looking to buy just one I like the Almanac better).

looks like the same starting 5 (at least they're talked about first), but then talks next of Dji who Mooney calls "a critical player for us". calls him a playmaker who gives us a different look at the point.

re: Walz, Blue Ribbon's not as effusive as the Almanac. says he's probably need time to acclimate to the speed and physicality of the college game.

(not due to agreeing or not with their Spider analysis ... if you're looking to buy just one I like the Almanac better).
And has this influenced your starting 5 prediction?

sman u left out that Mooney thinks Goose is a better shooter than he's shown ;)

I mentioned this is what I expect to be the lineup last week after the Burton interview. believe you commented on it there too.
don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on your back! :p you were right!
I know I make this point often but I don’t recall the Burton interview. What did he say? Can you link me?

I know I make this point often but I don’t recall the Burton interview. What did he say? Can you link me?
think this was it on 9/14.
go to latest episode and start around 1:10:00.

great interview. he's asked who he thinks steps up with all the departing production and his answer without hesitation was Matt.

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK
They project a Quinn, Grace, Burton, Goose, Nelson starting lineup.
center position.
I really don't get why it seems everyone has Davidson ahead of us. We lost a lot , but feel they lost more in a legit NBA prospect wing in Lee (pre injury), A10 player of the year big, and knock down shooter transfer. I guess PG being a key position, and Loyer has been very good, and has a ton of experience - even though Gilly treated him like middle school scrub :). Hopefully Dji and Nelson do the same and we should be better than Davidson this year.

Yeah, they definitely lost more, including a Hall of Fame coach. We bring back our best player, and they don’t.
??? I think they do bring back their best player. He was their leading scorer and best play maker (he was just hurt a lot of conference). They lost 3 starters, like we did. EXCEPT they were the best team in the conference and we weren’t top 4. Their returning two starters were better then our two starters last year. There is a clear reason for Davidson being projected ahead of UR as they have finished better 4 out of the last 5 years?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
??? I think they do bring back their best player. He was their leading scorer and best play maker (he was just hurt a lot of conference). They lost 3 starters, like we did. EXCEPT they were the best team in the conference and we weren’t top 4. Their returning two starters were better then our two starters last year. There is a clear reason for Davidson being projected ahead of UR as they have finished better 4 out of the last 5 years?
4 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with next season. Before last season we had made the tournament 0 out of the last 10 years.

It would be really awesome if you used some of that energy you’re bringing to prop up Davidson and use it to prop up the Spiders instead. We could sure use another excited fan on this board, we’ve been mostly pessimists the last few years and this is an exciting time you’re missing out on!

Luka Brajkovic was the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year last year, so I would say he was also the best player on his team. He's gone now.

Luka Brajkovic was the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year last year, so I would say he was also the best player on his team. He's gone now.
Yep, I saw Loyer play in person vs URI and they bothered the hell out if him and shut him down 2nd half. Just like Gilly did. Brajkovic was POY, enough said.

4 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with next season. Before last season we had made the tournament 0 out of the last 10 years.

It would be really awesome if you used some of that energy you’re bringing to prop up Davidson and use it to prop up the Spiders instead. We could sure use another excited fan on this board, we’ve been mostly pessimists the last few years and this is an exciting time you’re missing out on!
Agreed--we're still the reigning A10 tourney champs until a new one is crowned. We can relish that without resting.

Davidson, even when projected ahead of us, is typically a toss-up (though we lead the series 9-8 since 2011 and we own conference wins over them 8-6 since they joined the A10). People seem to forget that we return plenty of guys who are playing bonus time as well...even our underclassmen have a season or two of practice and knowing the system under their belts. That's an intangible that Davidson certainly doesn't have, coupled with a new HC in McKillop the Younger.

But I'm optimistic that people discounting us will be good news throughout the season. Let them underestimate us. We'll get back to dancing in March.

If your argument is that the A10 Player of the Year was not the best player on his own team, you haven't given yourself a lot to work with.
I don’t think he was their best player. Just my personal opinion. I think if Loyer plays all of the conference games, he receives the award. I also don’t think that Adaway was Bonnies best player either, nor do I agree with Holmes from Dayton not being one on 1st team. But those are just personal opinions.

Yeah, they definitely lost more, including a Hall of Fame coach. We bring back our best player, and they don’t.
Somehow their leading scorer isn’t their best player but ours is. I just am struggling to see how it works one way but not the other. But that’s OK.

30-1 Bitches. The one L is that ridiculous game y'all want to schedule with Longwood. Moondog is back.
Lol, you could also say 1-30. Moondog is back!

I have to at least see the first preseason game before making any kind of prediction. We have absolutely no idea what we have. Point guard? Center? We only know 3 players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT