ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Well this definitely exceeded my expectations. It’s just too bad we’ll be beating the new coach and not pummeling that pompous douche Gregg Marshall

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
If Torvik's preseason ratings pan out, Longwood would have been a better opponent. ;)
I'm willing to place a large bet that Wichita State is going to end up a better game in the NET than Longwood. Unless they are a complete clusterf*ck, they will be playing Houston, Memphis, SMU twice a year, games with Cincinnati and Temple and teams like Oklahoma State, Missouri, K-State in the OOC, they are going to have a heck of a strength of schedule, far far better than Longwood playing a Big South schedule.

Yeah, SOS should be solid, though they do have four likely 300+ NET anchors on the OOC schedule somewhat offsetting their really good games. They just need to rack up some wins...barely above .500 last year and Torvik predicts more of the same this year.

Yeah, SOS should be solid, though they do have four likely 300+ NET anchors on the OOC schedule somewhat offsetting their really good games. They just need to rack up some wins...barely above .500 last year and Torvik predicts more of the same this year.
So you mean we shouldn't just judge it by the name of the school before preseason practice even begins?

Wichita's a good game. 87 NET last year despite only going 15-13. should be one of our best home games of the non-conference schedule.

Reactions: urfan1
should be one of our best home games of the non-conference schedule.
I should hope so...Drake is really the only other contender. Even UNI is expected to be bad this season with Green going pro, Berhow graduating, and Carter transferring to Mizzou.

Looks like Wichita State has been added as final game. They were a Net 87 last year and a BPI 88, but did not have a good record as they finished 15-13 overall.

This is a home and home addition so a good add to the schedule, and the first game is Robins Center. Game is Nov. 17th. So right before Empire Classic. That is going to be a very difficult stretch for us.

@ Charleston
Wichita State
Syracuse (Empire Classic)
St. John's/Temple (Empire Classic)
@Toledo

Toledo had good record last year, but no idea how good they will be this year - just putting on this list because its a road game after Empire Classic. This 5 game stretch - I think we have to win 3 of the games to feel good.

Reactions: urfan1 and WCUR11
I'm willing to place a large bet that Wichita State is going to end up a better game in the NET than Longwood. Unless they are a complete clusterf*ck, they will be playing Houston, Memphis, SMU twice a year, games with Cincinnati and Temple and teams like Oklahoma State, Missouri, K-State in the OOC, they are going to have a heck of a strength of schedule, far far better than Longwood playing a Big South schedule.
Are you going to be at Wichita St on Dec 10? I expect them to be 3 pt home favorite over Longwood that night...

;) 🤣

So you mean we shouldn't just judge it by the name of the school before preseason practice even begins?
Who you play in a big part of your NET ranking. Of course, you have to win games, but Longwood would probably have to go 15-3 in Big South to even approach a similar NET that Wichita can get by going .500 in the AAC.

We can revisit this at the end of the year and see who has the better NET. I'm gonna play the odds here and say that Wichita is going to be descent enough, playing in the AAC with a high quality schedule and recent history of big time success (last year not withstanding), than with Longwood who was relevant for the first time ever last year and has to play in the Big South where their entire conference schedule is filled with Quad 3 and 4 landmines.

Reactions: plydogg
we'd all take playing Wichita St over Longwood. don't think that's a question.
the original question was Longwood vs not playing at all.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Exactly - everyone will agree Wichitia - especially with home and home is better than a buy game of Longwood. The question was Longwood vs. playing no one or even maybe a non-D1 opponent.

This is no question a better game and should hopefully be a top 100 game (worse case I think Wichita is bad and falls between 100-150 but no worse).

Exactly - everyone will agree Wichitia - especially with home and home is better than a buy game of Longwood. The question was Longwood vs. playing no one or even maybe a non-D1 opponent.

This is no question a better game and should hopefully be a top 100 game (worse case I think Wichita is bad and falls between 100-150 but no worse).
now we just have to win it!

now we just have to win it!
100%

Looking at complete schedule now - here is my prediction for the OOC.

VMi - W
N Iowa - W
Charleston - L
Wichita St. L
Syracuse - L
St. John's/Temple - L
Toledo - W
W&M - W
Drake - L
FDU - W
Clemson - W
Bucknell - W
Coppin St - W

8-5. I don't think we hit our stride until A10 play starts - which is why I think we beat Clemson and ride a 4 game winning streak into A10 play - leading off with Mason

Trap it would be very on brand for us to go into conference play with a nice little winning steak then fall flat in the opener against Mason and lose by 25

• Love
Reactions: Section9.RowD
Trap it would be very on brand for us to go into conference play with a nice little winning steak then fall flat in the opener against Mason and lose by 25
It would - but I think we go off brand this year because we have so many new faces via transfers portal that they don't know the "brand" you speak of. Plus - I think Grace puts us on his back in that Mason game with some late game heroics and we win by 6.

You mean the 2-4 start to the season?
Exactly.

I do think this team has the ability and potential to finish 4th in the league, maybe even 3rd.

But I just think we struggle early as all the new pieces work together. But I like us to start winning with a big win at Clemson, then carry that into A10 play. I like our first 3 games in A10 - Mason, GW, and Duquesne - I think we win those 3 - then we get a good challenge with Davidson - but we tend to match up well with them, so I think we even with that game. I can see us starting A10 4-0, even 5-0.

Exactly.

I do think this team has the ability and potential to finish 4th in the league, maybe even 3rd.

But I just think we struggle early as all the new pieces work together. But I like us to start winning with a big win at Clemson, then carry that into A10 play. I like our first 3 games in A10 - Mason, GW, and Duquesne - I think we win those 3 - then we get a good challenge with Davidson - but we tend to match up well with them, so I think we even with that game. I can see us starting A10 4-0, even 5-0.
Shoot, we shouldn’t even play the game with this logic. :)

team with experienced college players got together in June and spent most of the offseason together.
"time for new pieces to work together" would be a bad excuse. they'll be ready to go.

To be clear, would have rather played one less game than Longwood. This is like recruiting Kovien Dominaus to fill your last roster spot, so you don't look baffoonish for not using up on your scholarships.

Glad we did better and for once I applaud our coaching staff for having hire standards than this board. I'm still taking names for all of those who rationalized Longwood as an OK option for the last game. Longwood, people.

Exactly.

This is literally every team in the transfer portal era. Lots of new pieces, it is a new world. We are no different that most other teams.

This is literally every team in the transfer portal era. Lots of new pieces, it is a new world. We are no different that most other teams.
Very true - but I think a lot of teams have more experience with transfers and playing young guys. So it is an easier transition. Also depends on your schedule.

Take Drake for example - they were good last year, and I think return a lot of players this year - so playing them with a new roster - not a good matchup. But playing a good young team or team with a lot of transfers - maybe evens the playing field. But again - at UR - we have not been a big transfer school. Yes - we have had some success with Cline and Francis, but remember - those guys had to redshirt a year - so they had a whole year to practice and watch before playing a game under Mooney. Now with portal - gotta play them right away.

I'm still taking names for all of those who rationalized Longwood as an OK option for the last game. Longwood, people.
lol, feel free to take my name down. I'm certainly happy we found a better game this late, but a #131 net game is 100% better than not scheduling a game. adding Longwood wouldn't have been the problem with this schedule. signing up FDU, Bucknell, Coppin St, and @ W&M was the problem.

Put me down too. But remember - the question was - do we schedule Longwood or no one? At the time - we had no idea who else was in play to be scheduled. So if your asking me - do we take Longwood or no one - I will say take Longwood 100% of the time.

Every reasonable person knows Longwood is not a better game than Wichita State - so if that was the team compared to in the beginning - everyone takes Wichita State. I would even signed a 3 year deal with Wichita and given them 2 home games.

But also revisit this thread cause we need to beat Wichita State too. If we lose - I bet someone will come on here and say - we should have scheduled Longwood.

But - looking at our schedule - considering the local teams. At this point - I would take Longwood over W&M and VMI. If we could swap one of those out with Longwood this year -that would likely be an improvement.

Last edited:
lol, feel free to take my name down. I'm certainly happy we found a better game this late, but a #131 net game is 100% better than not scheduling a game. adding Longwood wouldn't have been the problem with this schedule. signing up FDU, Bucknell, Coppin St, and @ W&M was the problem.
Longwood NET was 131 last year, when they went 15-1 in the Big South. If you don't expect Longwood to basically run the table in the Big South next year (as I don't and no reasonable person should) their is no way their NET is gonna be that good. Their leading scoring transferred to Georgia. There really is only one way for Longwood to go this year after a historic season, down and it probably is going to be a big drop off.

Longwood played a grand total of 3 games last year that were Quad 1 or 2. 24 of their games were Quad 4 games or games against non D-1 opponents. There schedule simply does not allow their NET to be anything but a Quad 4 game unless they do something crazy like go 15-1 in conference.

In 2020, their NET was 258 when they were a .500 team in the Big South.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Longwood NET was 131 last year, when they went 15-1 in the Big South. If you don't expect Longwood to basically run the table in the Big South next year (as I don't and no reasonable person should) their is no way their NET is gonna be that good. Their leading scoring transferred to Georgia. There really is only one way for Longwood to go this year after a historic season, down and it probably is going to be a big drop off.

Longwood played a grand total of 3 games last year that were Quad 1 or 2. 24 of their games were Quad 4 games or games against non D-1 opponents. There schedule simply does not allow their NET to be anything but a Quad 4 game unless they do something crazy like go 15-1 in conference.

They do have a weak OOC schedule this year - so I agree, their net will not be great. But I got a feeling they will get pretty close to running the table in the Big South again.

NET rating - over/under 170 for Longwood next season. I think they come just under - in the 160's.

Well said. Another example of an argument that should be over but some will fight it to the death.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Longwood might be worse than last year, but still would have been better than no game from 11/14-11/21. that's the only argument. glad we got Wichita State though.

I will never argue that adding a Quad 4 is a good thing.

But I will continue to argue that 24-9 and NET 47
is better than 23-9 NET 51 even if you get there by adding a Quad 4...

I will continue to believe that 31 is higher than 30 and that 24 is higher than 23 no matter who tells me otherwise...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT