ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

“Reality is many teams have to overcome the challenge of learning to play together but to just assume that practice and a few months together solves all problems is ludicrous. It’s why many of the best teams in the country schedule “lay-up’s” at the beginning of every season.”

Thank you
So, which is it? Many teams or all teams? Because his next post said it's a fact so that would mean all teams. And, many teams don't schedule lay ups at the beginning, even if they have a bunch of new guys.

giphy.gif

I'm referring to the tweet not board "likes"...maybe I shouldn't wade into this one, but come on. While those not on the board wouldn't get the tweet reference, everyone here did.
I might be slow on this one...not following?

Never mentioned.

Have virtually an entirely new assistant coaching staff at same time as backfilling player graduations with 3 transfers with no experience in the "Richmond way". Offense requires pinpoint timing in many sets. Knitting together a new coaching staff and new players simultaneously will take time. Relatively weak OCC schedule makes sense given the facts. Expect Spiders to be a most worthy opponent for most by late season, but may suffer growing pains early (Board will howl).

Lot of growing to do with both a new staff and new players. Seems foolish to expect a well oiled machine from first game tip off.

So, which is it? Many teams or all teams? Because his next post said it's a fact so that would mean all teams. And, many teams don't schedule lay ups at the beginning, even if they have a bunch of new guys.
I liked his comment about Miami and agreed with his statement about it takes some time for teams to come together. Geez, not having a debate with you on this. What are you the "Like button police"

brady bunch gif

I meant your tweet the other week looked very much about VT4700…to suggest otherwise seems disingenuous to me.
Ohhh, Gotcha...Do you think VT is the only one that has been critical of Dji? Because he isn't and I'm not talking about just from the board...we hear it all the time around here locally and for him or any one else to think it was... means you may not know Dji's journey, as most on here have admitted and that's ok. But not everything is about dear old VT sorry.

Never mentioned.

Have virtually an entirely new assistant coaching staff at same time as backfilling player graduations with 3 transfers with no experience in the "Richmond way". Offense requires pinpoint timing in many sets. Knitting together a new coaching staff and new players simultaneously will take time. Relatively weak OCC schedule makes sense given the facts. Expect Spiders to be a most worthy opponent for most by late season, but may suffer growing pains early (Board will howl).

Lot of growing to do with both a new staff and new players. Seems foolish to expect a well oiled machine from first game tip off.
Ton of experience on the team
Quinn - 4th Year
Grace - 5th Year
Goose - 5th Year
Bigelow - 5th Year
Burton - 4th Year
Crabtree - 5th Year
Dji - 3rd Year
Roche - 2nd Year
Nelson - 2nd Year

As long as PG play is good we have proven talent in the A10. Only Dayton and SLU have more proven talent. Top 3 or bust.

brady bunch gif

I meant your tweet the other week looked very much about VT4700…to suggest otherwise seems disingenuous to me.
Let me get this straight. You think that SpiderDad would post a tweet about VT instead of posting something directly on the Forum? That makes zero sense to me. First, no one on this Forum is shy about posting counterpoints (especially to VT). Second, why would he post something on a wider public medium if he only heard the comment from one individual on a fan site? Come on man.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Sman, the debate isn’t whether we have more transfers comparative to other teams. Hard to debate something when you change the argument in the middle of it.

lol, I'm changing the argument? you're using the 2010 Miami Heat as an example of teams struggling with a learning curve, and I'm the one changing the argument?

maybe you're missing my point. I'm going back only one season and listing college teams that were very successful despite bringing in a ton of transfers. each one of those (and more that I missed) are examples of teams having little problem with a learning curve.

whether the 2010 Heat struggled or not, that's a bad comp. their 1st practice was 9/29. we'll be together for the better part of 5 months. you asked for examples. I gave you a boat load. and from just last year.

I'm sure some teams do struggle. but there's enough examples of teams that don't that I'm not going to assume we'll struggle.

That is the thing, pretty much all the teams out there are dealing with a huge amount of turnover - SLU and Dayton are two with most returning - and they are picked ahead of us. VCU got several transfers expected to play big roles, and most have them picked ahead of us.
We know Dayton is going to be good…what about SLU? You think they will be a legit top 2 team? I think so.

Ton of experience on the team
Quinn - 4th Year
Grace - 5th Year
Goose - 5th Year
Bigelow - 5th Year
Burton - 4th Year
Crabtree - 5th Year
Dji - 3rd Year
Roche - 2nd Year
Nelson - 2nd Year

As long as PG play is good we have proven talent in the A10. Only Dayton and SLU have more proven talent. Top 3 or bust.
23, seems we are two ships passing in the night. Didn't say we didn't have experience . Said we didn't have experience playing together while also having an entirely knew asst coaching staff, the latter seemingly totally overlooked, and ramifications thereof, in our board discussions. Lot of new pieces to integrate quickly.

Agree with your next to last sentence. Think you missed my point which was perhaps unartfully expressed.

Last edited:
It takes no time for these forums to get hijacked by 3-4 people who tend to spend more time analyzing themselves
vs the team. I feel like this freaking forum has become a civil war battlefield that is as divisive as our current political
arena. If you cannot accept others opinions without getting your panties in a wad, then get off the freaking forum.

Last edited:
It takes no time for these forums to get hijacked by 3-4 people who tend to spend more time analyzing themselves
vs the team. I feel like this freaking forum has become a civi war battlefield that is as divisive as our current political
arena. If you cannot accept others opinions without getting your panties in a wad, then get off the freaking forum.
if not for Mooney catching lightning in a bottle for one wild week in March you wouldn't have seen 4700 post a single time this offseason

There will be an adjustment, there is no doubt about that - how much is anyone's guess. The key may be what are our early games. These are usually cupcake games, so I feel better if we can get 3-4 easy wins under our belts before we play the tough teams on our schedule - like Drake.

Reactions: urfan1
Ohhh, Gotcha...Do you think VT is the only one that has been critical of Dji? Because he isn't and I'm not talking about just from the board...we hear it all the time around here locally and for him or any one else to think it was... means you may not know Dji's journey, as most on here have admitted and that's ok. But not everything is about dear old VT sorry.
Let me get this straight. You think that SpiderDad would post a tweet about VT instead of posting something directly on the Forum? That makes zero sense to me. First, no one on this Forum is shy about posting counterpoints (especially to VT). Second, why would he post something on a wider public medium if he only heard the comment from one individual on a fan site? Come on man.

didn't say it was all about VT4700 but if it was a composite of all the haters everywhere, it wasn't written that way. I mean it was verbatim taken from vt4700. verbatim. If you r a regular poster or reader of this board and u read that tweet and your 1st thought wasn't VT4700...well I'm not buying that.

Most high level d1 recruits get way more love than hate. regarding college career I doubt he's getting much to any public "hate" outside an athletics message board but u right there is no way for me to know the water cooler whispers locally.

got no prob with the tweet....spiderdad can tweet what he wants....only observed & found funny that vt's exact language is used & then say nah it wasn't really about u VT4700. That doesn't pass my bs meter...thus my observation. I guess it passes for someone else like Native. ok cool hook em.

Reactions: VT4700
didn't say it was all about VT4700 but if it was a composite of all the haters everywhere, it wasn't written that way. I mean it was verbatim taken from vt4700. verbatim. If you r a regular poster or reader of this board and u read that tweet and your 1st thought wasn't VT4700...well I'm not buying that.

Most high level d1 recruits get way more love than hate. regarding college career I doubt he's getting much to any public "hate" outside an athletics message board but u right there is no way for me to know the water cooler whispers locally.

got no prob with the tweet....spiderdad can tweet what he wants....only observed & found funny that vt's exact language is used & then say nah it wasn't really about u VT4700. That doesn't pass my bs meter...thus my observation. I guess it passes for someone else like Native. ok cool hook em.
🤷🏼‍♂️ that’s all I got, maybe your bs meter is broken 😀… a stat 0-9 is his language?

You’re better than this GSoft.
0-9 is such a ridiculous stat and certainly others besides 4700 have brought it up.

the stat itself is not relevant to my point. but ok who else is using that exact language? Think you'd struggle to find much besides those 2. I would never claim nobody else, nor have I...but again anyone on here knows that's been a fairly well known debate w those 2. this is weird...maybe there is another spiderfans bball board I'm not reading.

Reactions: VT4700
So, maybe my comments aren't that controversial if they are common?

You’re better than this GSoft.
0-9 is such a ridiculous stat and certainly others besides 4700 have brought it up.
You seem to contradict yourself a lot. So, if 0-9 is such a ridiculous stat, why would it be a certainty that others have brought it up?

Lets not forget as well - this is Mooney's really first time diving deep into the transfer portal and likely the first time in a long time he will likely have 3 newcomers to UR - Roche, Quinn, and Bigelow as key parts of the rotation (either starting or off the bench) along with an inexperienced PG in either Wilson (avg. 14 minutes last year, but the last 11 games of the season he only averaged about 5 minutes a night) or Bailey (only played in 16 games total last year). Normally - Mooney is not having to acclimate so many new players and new roles, and certainly not the last 5 years where we have had the same players over and over again. So this will not only be an adjustment for the players, but the coaches as well.

I think after 4-5 games Mooney should be able to define roles and start setting rotations pretty well.

As I said awhile back ,this would have been the PERFECT year for a EURO tour to get a jump on that. Not next season, not last year (not sure if that was a possibility - dont think so but we had oldest team in country so moot). THIS YEAR. Not sure why we didn't do it this year???

Lets not forget as well - this is Mooney's really first time diving deep into the transfer portal and likely the first time in a long time he will likely have 3 newcomers to UR - Roche, Quinn, and Bigelow as key parts of the rotation (either starting or off the bench) along with an inexperienced PG in either Wilson (avg. 14 minutes last year, but the last 11 games of the season he only averaged about 5 minutes a night) or Bailey (only played in 16 games total last year). Normally - Mooney is not having to acclimate so many new players and new roles, and certainly not the last 5 years where we have had the same players over and over again. So this will not only be an adjustment for the players, but the coaches as well.
To my post above, why no offshore trip this year. Perfect year to get a jump on chemistry and rotations. I'll wait for the excuses to pour in.

Reactions: gospidersgo
To my post above, why no offshore trip this year. Perfect year to get a jump on chemistry and rotations. I'll wait for the excuses to pour in.
anyone remember when the last trip was? agreed this year would have been perfect. I know Covid threw everything off but it feels like a long time and you're allowed every 4 years. hate if our current seniors never got to take a trip.

Reactions: spider23
Oh good, I saw SF posted and figured he killed my argument for the trip abroad with facts already :):):)

I'm ready for a battle on this one.
Nope, I completely agree this would have been a great year for a foreign trip. Our last one was in 2016.

Reactions: spider23
Said we didn't have experience playing together while also having an entirely knew asst coaching staff, the latter seemingly totally overlooked, and ramifications thereof, in our board discussions. Lot of new pieces to integrate quickly.
interesting point. I don't think we change anything for new assistants. more like they have huge adjustments to make to learn Mooney's way. but maybe there is an adjustment. we've certainly never had this much staff turnover without a new coach.

Yeah, four A-10 teams went this summer…Davidson, Fordham, Loyola, and SLU.

Uh, what?
PGS under Mooney are usually a key player - and most times - play 30+ minutes a night. Think Kevin Anderson, Lindsay, Kendall Anthony, and now Gilyard. I am not saying Wilson will be a bad PG, but I think - just like the guys mentioned above - he is going to need minutes in an actual game to play and learn. He seems like the guy to me, although others argue on here Bailey has a shot as well - but I think Wilson has a chance to be the next top PG for Mooney - and that means probably playing 30+ minutes a night. Are we not to expect to some ups and downs as he gets his feet wet to playing this much, and not only playing this much but also with a bunch of new players as well?

PGS under Mooney are usually a key player - and most times - play 30+ minutes a night. Think Kevin Anderson, Lindsay, Kendall Anthony, and now Gilyard. I am not saying Wilson will be a bad PG, but I think - just like the guys mentioned above - he is going to need minutes in an actual game to play and learn. He seems like the guy to me, although others argue on here Bailey has a shot as well - but I think Wilson has a chance to be the next top PG for Mooney - and that means probably playing 30+ minutes a night. Are we not to expect to some ups and downs as he gets his feet wet to playing this much, and not only playing this much but also with a bunch of new players as well?
You mean Nelson not Wilson right?

Yes - my bad. Nelson.

I think Nelson is the guy, and I think he will be really good for UR. I think he steps in and becomes the next great PG at UR, but I think there is an adjustment to that, especially given that he has a lot of new players around him. I think next year - he has ups and downs, but I think early in the season - we might need to let him play through those, get experience and hope its mostly ups the rest of the way.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT