ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Very curious to know if the Clemson game is real and what our last game will be. Any ideas on when we should know? I’m assuming by the end of this month at the latest?

Very curious to know if the Clemson game is real and what our last game will be. Any ideas on when we should know? I’m assuming by the end of this month at the latest?
Me too - seems many schools have already locked in on their full non-conference schedules ..

I agree 30 Net is better than 70.

But what I am saying is that the committee is made up of human beings!!!! If it was as simple as a NET formula, there would be no need for a committee. Just take the highest remaining NET teams and put them in tourney until you hit 68 teams - but is that how it works????? NO!!!!!! And I am not saying Drake would be or will be a bad win. They will likely be a very good win - assuming they have a good year.

But Syracuse and Clemson - even if they just finish around .500 for the year - will have a good NET, a good BPI, a good anything ranking - and they come from a Power Conference. And they are recognizable from a name perspective - which counts. Especially when your adding the human element.

Maybe the NCAA should move to just strictly a computer based system. No people. No Committee. Just a NET score, and after auto qualifiers, the rest of the bids are taken up by the remaining top NET scores. No questions. No complaining. No human element.

Old man yells at clouds?….but nobody has said anything about just going by NET or that there isn’t a human element.

And ironically u raised the computer metric…& said BPI was the first layer of qualification by committee for bubble teams.

No way.

Me too - seems many schools have already locked in on their full non-conference schedules ..

93 schools of 363 have released per d1 docket so still good amount to go.

Also saw this…I feel better about Clemson game happening now…looks like a 1 day event in Greenville…

Reactions: Section9.RowD
The 3 best teams the Spiders will play this year are Dayton, St. Louis and VCU. A10 is gonna be solid this year! Play well out of conference and win these and the Spiders are in the Big Dance.

The 3 best teams the Spiders will play this year are Dayton, St. Louis and VCU. A10 is gonna be solid this year! Play well out of conference and win these and the Spiders are in the Big Dance.
A10 will be solid - but I think it still takes single digit losses for UR to be considered with our schedule. It is a good schedule, not great, and the A10 will be solid - but I think we need to be entering the A10 tourney with 9 or less losses (preference would be 7-8) to feel like we got a shot and not have to win too many games in A10 tourney.

A10 will be solid - but I think it still takes single digit losses for UR to be considered with our schedule. It is a good schedule, not great, and the A10 will be solid - but I think we need to be entering the A10 tourney with 9 or less losses (preference would be 7-8) to feel like we got a shot and not have to win too many games in A10 tourney.
Is it correct that the last two A-10 at-large with double digit losses on Selection Sunday were Dayton 2014, VCU 2016 both with 10 losses?
So single digit losses seems necessary with most schedules…

Is it correct that the last two A-10 at-large with double digit losses on Selection Sunday were Dayton 2014, VCU 2016 both with 10 losses?
I agree. Even though it is only one game, 24-9 or 25-9 just looks and sounds a whole lot better than 23-10 or 24-10.

Centenary had the distinction of being the smallest D-I school with around 900 students. It's dropped to 500 or so following the move to D-III a decade ago. They've announced that they're going to bring back football after a ~50-year absence...clearly a move to try to prop up enrollment.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
SLU is playing a non d1 for some reason but otherwise has a very nice ooc schedule…

This kind of shows there are different ways to get at larges for the A-10. Dayton finished tied for 5th in the A-10 at 10-6, but played a tough OOC schedule, and had some good wins there. VCU had no real good OOC wins, but went 14-4 in the A-10 and tied for 1st. I think now, with fewer A-10 teams dancing recently, the VCU example is the better route to take. 6 A-10 teams made the dance in 2014 when Dayton did, so we can't count on that happening again. That is kind of my point when I say IC is more important than OOC. Both are important, but give me 14-4 IC and I think we will be in solid shape for an at large way more often than not, especially considering that will likely put us ahead of any other A-10 bubble teams.

This schedule is so much better than ours. Ugh.
Their schedule is pretty good. They have 4.5 big games in my opinion. They got Memphis, Auburn, Maryland, Miami/Providence, and then Iona (Pitino) - I count Iona as half a big game cause its on the road against an Iona team that I would guess will be very good, and with it being on the road - this helps it even more. If this was a home game for Memphis, I would not count it - but given on the road - I give it half status.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Their schedule is pretty good. They have 4.5 big games in my opinion. They got Memphis, Auburn, Maryland, Miami/Providence, and then Iona (Pitino) - I count Iona as half a big game cause its on the road against an Iona team that I would guess will be very good, and with it being on the road - this helps it even more. If this was a home game for Memphis, I would not count it - but given on the road - I give it half status.
Very telling that you don’t even mention Drake, which is in the conversation as perhaps our best opponent. Boise and Murray are no slouches either.

Very telling that you don’t even mention Drake, which is in the conversation as perhaps our best opponent. Boise and Murray are no slouches either.
Drake is good, but lets be honest. If UR came out with a schedule this year and I told you the following.

We get Memphis and Coach Hardaway at home. Then we get Maryland on a neutral floor and then play winner/loser of Miami/Providence on neutral floor. We are going to play Auburn on the road. And then we got Iona and Rick Pitino on the road. Are you really going to look at that and say "Hey - what about the Drake game at home?"

Drake is a good game and SLU has other good games after those mentioned above - Boise, and Murray are good examples. But that is the key difference between SLU schedule and ours at this point. We are sitting here on this board and saying Drake will be our best game at HOME. And Drake - in my opinion - from the potential rankings (Net, BPI, RPI, Whatever metric you want to use) and human element eye test - is probably the 5th best game on their schedule? I would put Drake and Iona in the same class, but the fact they are playing Iona on the road takes it up a level.

But of course - all this schedule is well and good, but you got to win some of these games. Of the Memphis, Maryland, Miami/Providence, Auburn, and Iona games - if SLU can win 3 of those - and then of the Drake, Boise, and Murray games -win 2 (if not all 3) - they will be in very good shape.

I also assume they beat Paul Quinn.

We are sitting here on this board and saying Drake will be our best game at HOME.
Drake's probably their 2nd best game at home. it's tough to get big home games.
our schedule isn't special but it will look a little better if we do add Clemson.

Trap, I was taking a bit of issue with you calling their schedule merely "pretty good". If Drake, Boise, and Murray don't even merit a mention as big games, then their schedule is a heck of a lot better than pretty good.

And I was also pointing out how not even mentioning Drake as one of their big games highlights how weak our own schedule is in comparison.

Drake's probably their 2nd best game at home. it's tough to get big home games.
our schedule isn't special but it will look a little better if we do add Clemson.
2nd best game at home - but still, overall - with the games mentioned, I don't think you put the Drake game ahead of Memphis, Auburn, Maryland, Miami/Providence, or Iona.

It is a good home game for them - whether they bought it or are returning to Drake in the future - either way, they got a good game.

Trap, I was taking a bit of issue with you calling their schedule merely "pretty good". If Drake, Boise, and Murray don't even merit a mention as big games, then their schedule is a heck of a lot better than pretty good.

And I was also pointing out how not even mentioning Drake as one of their big games highlights how weak our own schedule is in comparison.
Agreed - their schedule can be a lot better than very good - but that will depend on how well Drake, Boise and Murray fair - those 3 teams need to be top 2 in their league and have solid OOC wins. They also need Memphis to bounce back and be the top team in their league - but I think they will be.

But you are correct - this could be a top schedule in the A10 and a very high SOS ranking when all said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT