ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Nov. 7: vs VMI (buy game)
Nov. 11: vs Northern Iowa (multi-year H&H series)
Nov. 14: at Charleston (completing H&H disrupted by COVID)
Nov. 21: Empire Classic vs Syracuse
Nov. 22: Empire Classic vs St. John's/Temple
Nov. 30: at Toledo (return of H&H)
Dec. 3: at William & Mary (first game of H&H)
Dec. 10: vs Drake (return of H&H)
Dec. 13: vs Fairleigh Dickinson (buy game)
Dec. 17: vs Clemson (Greenville, S.C.)
Dec. 21: vs Bucknell
Dec. 28: vs Coppin State (buy game)

Dec. 31: at George Mason
Jan. 4: vs George Washington
Jan. 7: vs Duquesne
Jan. 11: at Davidson
Jan. 14: at St. Bonaventure
Jan. 17: vs Rhode Island
Jan. 20: vs VCU
Jan. 25: at Massachusetts
Jan. 28: at Dayton
Feb. 1: vs St. Bonaventure
Feb. 5: vs Fordham
Feb. 8: at George Washington
Feb. 11: vs Loyola Chicago
Feb. 15: at La Salle
Feb. 21: vs Saint Louis
Feb. 24: at VCU
Mar 1: at Saint Joseph's
Mar 4: vs George Mason

Mar 7–12: A-10 tournament at Barclays

Last edited:
Would love to see it return, but I fear it may be history. Just a feeling based on no games in the past three years. I believe scheduling difficulties were cited the first year, COVID would explain the second, but now it's really a pattern. The longer it goes, the more inertia there is against resuming.

I know, I know...we don't even have our roster set yet, but since we've also been talking about how we're likely to ease up a bit on the OOC scheduling next season, I started trying to recall what's already in place for the schedule.

- November 21 and 22: Empire Classic at Barclays - we play two out of Syracuse, St. John's, and Temple. It's possible there could also be a low-major home game involved to make it a three-game MTE.

- November 30: Return game at Toledo.

- Drake: We should be hosting a return game, date TBA.

That only accounts for four or five of our 13 OOC games.

Wofford and UNI series should be done. Not sure what our ODU arrangement is, as we seem to play them every year (except for COVID shortened 2020–21). NC Central, Georgia State, and Bucknell were buy games. Hofstra was a campus game of the Bahamas MTE. Utah State and NC State were one-off neutral site games.
I hope to continue to make a few trips to see away games next season ...had good times at Drake game (except for the last 5 minutes), N. Iowa seeing Gilly break this record. Then, NC State with a large group of college friends. Also will be interesting to see if we play at Loyola or not - would certainly try to make a CHI trip.

Would love to see it return, but I fear it may be history. Just a feeling based on no games in the past three years. I believe scheduling difficulties were cited the first year, COVID would explain the second, but now it's really a pattern. The longer it goes, the more inertia there is against resuming.

There was a prior multi year break with Wake before it resumed again so I don't think it's history. but when/if resumes again would only be a guess, just saying I think there's some hope based on past history.

We'll be at ODU. Beyond that & toledo drake you're right not a lot of fixed return games so schedule is pretty open as far as what is publicly known so far.

Other than the past three years, we've only missed multiple years in a row once since we started playing them regularly in '75..and that was a two-year break in '98 and '99. But yeah, it's easy to say COVID may be responsible for part of this pause. Whatever the reason, hope it resumes.

ODU is a convenient trip, so I get why we do the continual home-and-home with them. They're rarely terrible, but I wish they could regularly get back into the top 100.

How about Longwood? Not sure what they got returning, but I got feeling they will reload in the transfer portal if needed. Should be a game we win - but that could end up being a decent game down the road if they have repeat success this year. Plus its local and would draw a good crowd from both sides.

How about Longwood? Not sure what they got returning, but I got feeling they will reload in the transfer portal if needed. Should be a game we win - but that could end up being a decent game down the road if they have repeat success this year. Plus its local and would draw a good crowd from both sides.
You may be the only person that would want us to play Longwood

I believe I have read that we have a multiple year commitment with William and Mary starting next year.

I'm going to need to see more than one year before I'm excited about playing Longwood. But even if they can manage to be around the 200 mark, that's an okay buy game. Just don't play them if they end up back in the 250+ range.

I'm going to need to see more than one year before I'm excited about playing Longwood. But even if they can manage to be around the 200 mark, that's an okay buy game. Just don't play them if they end up back in the 250+ range.
Agreed .. Would love to host Liberty and see Assistant Coach KA however,

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I wonder if Dji is a reason we won't play Wake. teams hate to play a guy that they thought was theirs since it could look to their fans like a big mistake if he's good.

He committed to Wake when Danny Manning was the coach, I don't think Steve Forbes feels any kind of way about Dji changing schools. I'm actually pretty sure it was reported that Mooney talked with Danny Manning about Dji but dad surely knows far more about that than myself or John O'Connor.

I'd guess we don't play Wake because Mooney had a relationship with Danny Manning that he doesn't have with Steve Forbes.

He committed to Wake when Danny Manning was the coach, I don't think Steve Forbes feels any kind of way about Dji changing schools. I'm actually pretty sure it was reported that Mooney talked with Danny Manning about Dji but dad surely knows far more about that than myself or John O'Connor.

I'd guess we don't play Wake because Mooney had a relationship with Danny Manning that he doesn't have with Steve Forbes.
That is correct about Coach Manning. Don't like Forbes or the staff with the exception of BJ Mckie. They have some mess with them thats why Dji decided to leave...and I'll leave it at that. For what its worth...you want to know who was the first to text us congrats on the Miss St game(Dji's performance), A10 Chip and NCAA win...Coach Manning! Class act. But bring on the Deacs would love for us to smack them!

Last edited:
I say Longwood because it should be a game we win, its local, and with them coming off a good season - it may look good early in the year. Remember - the goal next year is to schedule strategically light. One good way to do that is schedule teams who had a good year last year, but maybe are likely to lose a lot and not be as strong this year. We could probably play this card to get a good Power 6 game - we made some noise in the NCAA last year, but lost most key players - so should be an easy win against a program most might recognize for the next year because of success last year.

That is correct about Coach Manning. Don't like Forbes or the staff with the exception of BJ Mckie. They have some mess with them thats why Dji decided to leave...and I'll leave it at that. For what its worth...you want to know who was the first to text us congrats on the Miss St game(Dji's performance), A10 Chip and NCAA win...Coach Manning! Class act. But bring on the Deacs would love for us to smack them!

BJ McKie may not want to play us either. He tried that once. Once.

I say Longwood because it should be a game we win, its local, and with them coming off a good season - it may look good early in the year. Remember - the goal next year is to schedule strategically light. One good way to do that is schedule teams who had a good year last year, but maybe are likely to lose a lot and not be as strong this year. We could probably play this card to get a good Power 6 game - we made some noise in the NCAA last year, but lost most key players - so should be an easy win against a program most might recognize for the next year because of success last year.
Let it go, man ha

• Haha
Reactions: PASpider

In 1975?

Reactions: Zeeter
Yes, the Robins family has been a longtime supporter of Wake. I've never seen it confirmed (maybe some of my elders have), but the rumor is that a contingency of the Robins gifts to Wake was that they play us in basketball annually.

I know ECR, Jr. was at least occasionally giving six-figure donations to Wake as recently as 10–15 years ago. I don't know if he continues to do so.

Let it go, man ha
Well - we know for a fact we are scheduling light next year. The school and JOC have already said it. Might as well schedule teams that were at least good last year or maybe year before.

And we fall into this category. I bet we could get a decent P5 game this year because we should be viewed as an easy win, but have some better name recongition among fans because our first round NCAA upset. But in reality we will probably not be very good, should be an easy win for a P5 program, but for P5 fans - they will recognize the Spider name.

I would not be surprised if we have a very heavy VA schedule next year with W&M, VMI, Longwood, JMU, and ODU all on the schedule as our schedule light keeps us close to home with lower competition.

To be clear, I am not saying I want Longwood. But given we have already announced the schedule with be light this year, might as well play a local team that made some noise last year. I much rather take this kind of year and schedule for a year or two down the road. Schedule games this year with good programs that we may lose this year - but that we can hopefully get a return game next season or after when we are better. Take the hit this year, play on the road, get the experience for the inexperienced team and hope to get these good teams back on our home court in the following seasons when we should be better. I much rather go 12-20 next season and play a tough schedule knowing we get some return games, than go 18-14 and be stuck with some bad games or play 1 year buy games to get to 18 wins.

Yes, the Robins family has been a longtime supporter of Wake. I've never seen it confirmed (maybe some of my elders have), but the rumor is that a contingency of the Robins gifts to Wake was that they play us in basketball annually.

I know ECR, Jr. was at least occasionally giving six-figure donations to Wake as recently as 10–15 years ago. I don't know if he continues to do so.
I remember reading that as far back as the Tarrant era.

Well - we know for a fact we are scheduling light next year. The school and JOC have already said it. Might as well schedule teams that were at least good last year or maybe year before.

And we fall into this category. I bet we could get a decent P5 game this year because we should be viewed as an easy win, but have some better name recongition among fans because our first round NCAA upset. But in reality we will probably not be very good, should be an easy win for a P5 program, but for P5 fans - they will recognize the Spider name.

I would not be surprised if we have a very heavy VA schedule next year with W&M, VMI, Longwood, JMU, and ODU all on the schedule as our schedule light keeps us close to home with lower competition.

To be clear, I am not saying I want Longwood. But given we have already announced the schedule with be light this year, might as well play a local team that made some noise last year. I much rather take this kind of year and schedule for a year or two down the road. Schedule games this year with good programs that we may lose this year - but that we can hopefully get a return game next season or after when we are better. Take the hit this year, play on the road, get the experience for the inexperienced team and hope to get these good teams back on our home court in the following seasons when we should be better. I much rather go 12-20 next season and play a tough schedule knowing we get some return games, than go 18-14 and be stuck with some bad games or play 1 year buy games to get to 18 wins.
Agreed -I hope they re-think the scheduling light approach realizing they won't know it Tyler is back for a while. If our goal is top 4 to top 6 each year, we have to always want a decent out of conference schedule and at some level our tendency is to play down to our competition as well (i.e. our last game against Longwood) so not sure a soft schedule produces that many more wins.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

Thoughtful post and I appreciate it, but this is definitely not letting it go.

if you're talking Longwood, that's a buy game. we're not going to their place. so for buy games, we don't really care where they are from. there's no benefit to a local game like that, unless you like a bigger visitor's crowd.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Played this game before making same assumptions. See November 9, 2019 - 63-58 Home loss.

Nothing to be gained from playing them.

if you're talking Longwood, that's a buy game. we're not going to their place. so for buy games, we don't really care where they are from. there's no benefit to a local game like that, unless you like a bigger visitor's crowd.
OUr administration likes the bigger visitor crowd - keeps our attendance up.

And yes - we played them before and loss. But thats my point. We have already stated publicly we are going to lighten the schedule - why? If the fear is we will probably lose, which we might because we will not be very good next year - then lets schedule as many P5 programs and better schools we can and just get our brains beat in. Take buy games if you have to. Gives the team experience against better competition, and in the cases where you don't get a buy game - maybe you get someone on the schedule down the road when we are better.

I just don't like the term schedule light - which has already been used by staff and JOC. Schedule for the future, which means - you schedule tough now, it helps their experience, and helps the schedule.

I’m not a huge fan of making your OOC overly difficult, I think setting a tone where you’re setting up guys to fail runs the risk of destroying confidence, in addition to perhaps creating a culture where you expect to lose.

im not interested in padding the record either mind you, but there probably needs to be a balance there.

OUr administration likes the bigger visitor crowd - keeps our attendance up.

And yes - we played them before and loss. But thats my point. We have already stated publicly we are going to lighten the schedule - why? If the fear is we will probably lose, which we might because we will not be very good next year - then lets schedule as many P5 programs and better schools we can and just get our brains beat in. Take buy games if you have to. Gives the team experience against better competition, and in the cases where you don't get a buy game - maybe you get someone on the schedule down the road when we are better.

I just don't like the term schedule light - which has already been used by staff and JOC. Schedule for the future, which means - you schedule tough now, it helps their experience, and helps the schedule.

does Longwood bring the visitor crowd? I mean I like their coach & they may have momentum from last year but I doubt they r bringing much of a crowd over anyone else. or it’s a negligible amount. Idk for sure but my read.

also I know JOC had that scheduling article but what did staff say about scheduling light this year? I missed that.

personally imo we need to figure out roster first. Our outlook changes significantly w the right transfers. But in general I don’t like scheduling weak. And our schedule was not super tough last year. They say it was but we know that’s not true. It wasn’t a bad schedule by any means it was above average. The schedule will be different but think we should be targeting a similar ooc SOS.

does Longwood bring the visitor crowd? I mean I like their coach & they may have momentum from last year but I doubt they r bringing much of a crowd over anyone else. or it’s a negligible amount. Idk for sure but my read.

also I know JOC had that scheduling article but what did staff say about scheduling light this year? I missed that.

personally imo we need to figure out roster first. Our outlook changes significantly w the right transfers. But in general I don’t like scheduling weak. And our schedule was not super tough last year. They say it was but we know that’s not true. It wasn’t a bad schedule by any means it was above average. The schedule will be different but think we should be targeting a similar ooc SOS.
So... as an arbitrary combination, if we keep Grace and add, Stephens, Quinn, and Spencer, that might change our thinking on OOC?

Agreed .. Would love to host Liberty and see Assistant Coach KA however,
As much as I love KA, it’s a hard pass on Liberty. Can’t respect anyone that attended Jerry Falwell sr. school and believed him to be morally upright. They preach morality but have no problem with hiring Hugh Freeze. Hypocrites.

Reactions: wr70beh
Played this game before making same assumptions. See November 9, 2019 - 63-58 Home loss.

Nothing to be gained from playing them.
I hate the “nothing to be gained from playing them attitude.” It’s the same attitude displayed toward us so many times. I’d rather we adopt a F U frame of mind and John Cheney’s any school anywhere attitude and show we have a big pair!

As much as I love KA, it’s a hard pass on Liberty. Can’t respect anyone that attended Jerry Falwell sr. school and believed him to be morally upright. They preach morality but have no problem with hiring Hugh Freeze. Hypocrites.
Yeah pure KA/ basketball suggestion - agree generally with your other points …

Reactions: PASpider
I think Liberty is a good schedule based on their success lately. Its definitely not a big time game by any means, but it is could be viewed as a good medium game. Its a game we should be able to be competitive and probably even win in our down years. And with Liberty, if they go on to win their league, it has the potential to be a top 100 BPI game. (last 3 years they have been top 100 BPI). And in the chance they don't win the league - I doubt they fall below 150 BPI, so it doesn't crush your schedule like a 200 + BPI game could. Plus you have the KA connection.

I always wondered too why not try to call Shaka at Marquette and get a game going. I have to think Shaka and Mooney have some sort of relationship. Plus it can bring Shaka back to Richmond, but not VCU.

Probably not next year, but in future years - we should be trying to cash in on Hovde being at Florida and get a game scheduled down there.

Mooney has been kind enough to Marcus Jenkins to hire him twice, so why not try to get a game going with Minnesota.

Since our AD and school likes the Ivy/Patriot league with the Bucknell and Princeton connection, I have no issue playing a team or two from there, but we should target the better teams. We got lucky with Bucknell being good, but lately they have fallen. We should be looking now to add Colgate, Princeton or Yale. Again - not games that are likely to crack BPI top 100, but they could come close and sneak in the 90's with a good year and its a game we should be able to win.

I don't expect every game to be a top 100 game, there of course will be a handful of cupcakes, but outside of that you need to get bigger name games, and the mid-majors you play need to be near top of their league.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT