ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 NET Ratings

Hard to tell what to make of Fordham, but I'm always skeptical of them for good reason. The Tulane win is a decent Q2 one at this point, but they got blown out by Arkansas and the rest of their games have been against Q4 cupcakes...and their remaining four OOC games are all Q4 as well.

They're doing what they should for the good of the conference in terms of racking up OOC wins, but I don't feel like I know much about whether they're any good or not.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Hard to tell what to make of Fordham, but I'm always skeptical of them for good reason. The Tulane win is a decent Q2 one at this point, but they got blown out by Arkansas and the rest of their games have been against Q4 cupcakes...and their remaining four OOC games are all Q4 as well.

They're doing what they should for the good of the conference in terms of racking up OOC wins, but I don't feel like I know much about whether they're any good or not.
I have watched a good amount of Fordham games and think for the 1st time I can remember they will finish above .500 in conference .. time will tell.

Reactions: SFspidur
I feel like the NET is still highly volatile right now.

And looking at team sheets view...I think bracketologists.com is still getting their act together

Charleston, Toledo, and W&M are still D1 right?
VCU at home is Q3, VCU away is non-D1?

Edit: Glad to see everyone back to D1...

Last edited:
Sobering for the conference as a whole. Still early though!

We clearly need CoC to switch mid-season into the A10 - perhaps our only chance for 2 bids - in all seriousness after attending a game and seeing a smallish arena but very lively local student and alumni crowd, I think Charleston would be the great member to finalize the A16.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Certainly not complaining about the Spiders RPI but am still mind boggled by how they determine this RPI starting point. If they have no idea how good a team is before the season starts, they then have no idea what quality any teams opponents are, thus there is no way to determine a strength of schedule at this point in the year. So without any of that, how do they come up with a ranking. And as we know, this beginning ranking is very very important.

Many strange rankings already.
Kent State at 25 - wins over no one. Lost to Houston, Colorado. I guess who you lose to now matters w RPI.
Yale at 35 - lost to Colorado and Hawaii only decent win.
Iona at 50 - lost to Hofstra and Santa Clara and have no decent wins.
Then there is St. Johns at 8-1 only lose to Iowa St at #71.
It just seems like nothing really adds up if you look deep. Imo the whole thing is off if even a handful of teams are way off with their ranking.

23, But these early numbers set the basis for the whole system. Each game is valued from these rankings. (Reply function not working)

I don't get the concern about the overall starting numbers (other than the fact ours is terrible). It's just a formula. It will get better as more data gets added. It's not like there's any sort of weighting or bias based on what today's rankings are.

There will be some oddness to start due to the limited data, which is why they wait until a month in to even start publishing, but it'll work itself out.

I don't get the concern about the overall starting numbers (other than the fact ours is terrible). It's just a formula. It will get better as more data gets added. It's not like there's any sort of weighting or bias based on what today's rankings are.

There will be some oddness to start due to the limited data, which is why they wait until a month in to even start publishing, but it'll work itself out.
Yes, it is not like an AP poll, where some voters move you up and down a number of slots by each performance.
It is (supposedly) a mathematical formula, even if it still seems heavily weighted by margin of victory, which can cause some of the unexpected results.

However, as the season goes on, your next game is a smaller and smaller percentage of your total games played.
So a 4 game win streak after 8 games SHOULD help NET more than a 4 game win streak after 16 games.

I think all of that is correct.

Yes, it is not like an AP poll, where some voters move you up and down a number of slots by each performance.
It is (supposedly) a mathematical formula, even if it still seems heavily weighted by margin of victory, which can cause some of the unexpected results.

However, as the season goes on, your next game is a smaller and smaller percentage of your total games played.
So a 4 game win streak after 8 games SHOULD help NET more than a 4 game win streak after 16 games.

I think all of that is correct.
The urmite’s logic is sound.

Drake 59 -> 90
UR 188 -> 142 (5th in the mighty A10)

Clemson dropped from 88 -> 118 after their LUC crushing.

Good grief…obviously lots of movement still to come, but as of this moment we have exactly one Q1 opponent (Charleston) and one Q2 opponent (UMass) on our entire schedule.

Good grief…obviously lots of movement still to come, but as of this moment we have exactly one Q1 opponent (Charleston) and one Q2 opponent (UMass) on our entire schedule.
I know that doesn’t compare well to prior years, but how does that compare to the rest of the A-10?

I noticed UMass over Colorado is now a Q1…

The A-10’s first this year I believe.

Yes, UMass has the only Q1 win for the conference. They also have two Q2 wins over Charlotte and Harvard, while VCU has a Q2 over Pitt. And that's it for Q1/Q2 wins for the conference.

Anyway, for the game count...

89. SLU: three Q1, four Q2
96. Fordham: one Q1, one Q2
99. UMass: one Q1, seven Q2
117. Duquesne: one Q1, four Q2
142. Richmond: one Q1, one Q2
151. Bona: one Q1, four Q2
154. Mason: one Q1, one Q2
157. VCU: two Q1, three Q2
159. Dayton: two Q1, five Q2
176. Davidson: two Q1, four Q2
218. Loyola: one Q1, five Q2
230. GW: zero Q1, three Q2
263. La Salle: zero Q1, four Q2
285. St. Joe's: one Q1, two Q2
290. URI: zero Q1, six Q2

There are four A-10 teams that would be Q2 road games at the moment, but UMass is the only one we play on the road. SLU, Fordham, and Duquesne are all at home this year (and none of them are home-and-home partners for us), so they're all Q3 games right now.

• Sad
So, if we don't win the tourney and get the auto bid, let's win the regular season title, lose in the tourney finals, and see if the committee will take 2 A-10 teams. Not sure there is another path to an at large with the conference struggling so bad OOC.

Reactions: I-M-UR
UMass up 14 for a neutral 15 point win against Hofstra?

Top 120 NET? CAA 4 A10 3?

Last edited:
These are brutal numbers. As GK said, never count on the A10 to be the tide to lift all boats and UR has been as guilty as any team for never going something like 12-1 and leading the way.

UR needs to keep this in mind and schedule better OOC. I don't want to rehash the whole offseason thread, but can you imagine the plight if UR hadn't already blown its chances for an at large and were like 8-1 or 7-2, trying to figure out basically how not to lose any league game because they are all landmines? Hopefully the new coaches improve things leaguewide.

These are brutal numbers. As GK said, never count on the A10 to be the tide to lift all boats and UR has been as guilty as any team for never going something like 12-1 and leading the way.

UR needs to keep this in mind and schedule better OOC. I don't want to rehash the whole offseason thread, but can you imagine the plight if UR hadn't already blown its chances for an at large and were like 8-1 or 7-2, trying to figure out basically how not to lose any league game because they are all landmines? Hopefully the new coaches improve things leaguewide.

John Hardt says the A10 is a REGATTA!

UR needs to keep this in mind and schedule better OOC. I Hopefully the new coaches improve things leaguewide.
I have always complained about Mooney and Co not scheduling a tougher OOC to enhance at-large chances. Examples more away games and P5/6 matchups. Thinking like you having name guys like Martin and Miller would improve the A10 OOC as a whole.

Well since I have too much time on my hands did some research on OOC schedules of comparative conferences IMO being A10, MWC, and WCC. Surprised the A10 is on par with those two. Being falling A10's ranking last few years behind them.

A10 OOC games
74% home
18% P5/6 opponents

MWC OOC games
74% home
13% P5/6 opponents

WCC OOC games
75% home
19% P5/6 opponents

notes: Included semi-home as home, included Houston and Memphis as P5/6, Zags skew WCC P5/6 opponent numbers

It's the old defeatist attitude. I do think we need to schedule harder. On one hand, I get it, it is tough these days to get good teams to play you. But, on the other hand we have to be willing to play anywhere anytime type of mentality, and really when I read about these games happening it is the Head Coach calling up and getting it done. Mooney can't call Young or Bennett?? Of course we scrimmage them, so basically they are treating Mooney like a little....never mind.

Next year with a seasoned Jaynel, Quinn, Roche, Bigs another year under the belt - is really the time to schedule up, and plan that European vacation. And while we are at it, find a play now big that is better than Reed.

Let's do that and I can come off my B offseason grade.

Should have included also Mooney's SOS is on par say with other mid-major programs if not better in majority of comparisons. Combining the conferences only 2 schools scheduled more away games this season. That said I want/need Mooney to better the OOC. Like 23 stated make the calls and get it done. As long as Mooney has been a HC he should have built up enough relationships/clout to accomplish it.

Reactions: spider23
Should have included also Mooney's SOS is on par say with other mid-major programs if not better in majority of comparisons. Combining the conferences only 2 schools scheduled more away games this season. That said I want/need Mooney to better the OOC. Like 23 stated make the calls and get it done. As long as Mooney has been a HC he should have built up enough relationships/clout to accomplish it.
The Providence coach seemed to love him. Give him a call.

I won't argue that we should schedule harder when we can't beat W&M.
I will. Almost every year we play down to the level of at least one terrible opponent and often we lose. Delaware. Jacksonville State. Longwood. Radford. Oral Roberts. On and on. Don't play teams like that and you can't lose to them. Play better teams and you can afford to lose to some of them.

And if you insist on playing a team like W&M, for god's sake don't go to their place to do it! We have the upper hand in that relationship. We have no reason to play them. If they want to play us, it needs to be on our terms -- always. We need to start operating from a place of strength. Losing that game could have cost us an at-large bid this year if we hadn't botched the Charleston, Wichita and Syracuse games. And for what? Because we wanted to be nice to a state school? Really?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT