ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - New Hampshire

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

I don't ever remember seeing the Spiders defeat the Wildcats...we last beat them in 2007 at City Stadium and I don't remember it...to find a UR victory in beautiful Durham NH you have to go back to the Jim Reid days of 2000!...I have no idea why we play them so seldom...we last met in 2015...Kyle Lauletta was a sophomore!...that seems like decades ago...

the Wildcats, who had a streak of 14 consecutive FCS Playoff bids run out in 2017 (that's a strong program!), are having a disappointing season much like the Spiders...they're lost four in a row after a promising start...like the Spiders in their recent skid they've lost to JMU and Elon...

this looks like an opportunity for the Spiders to break through and get a win despite our dubious history versus the Cats...on paper the statistics for the squads look pretty similar...with the exception of points allowed...the Wildcats give up an average of around 30 per game...I expect our defense will continue to give us a chance to win and if Joe Mancuso is sharper in his second start we could score enough to win?...

with 32 players in their 6th, 5th and 4th nothing would be finer than for these guys to get a couple of wins as the season winds down...this looks like a chance to me...

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: spider fan
New Hampshire won at Stony Brook first game of the season. They have lost 4 in a row, It seems like they are due for a win.

Using Sagarin's "recent" index, New Hampshire is favored by nine. With its "overall" index, NH is favored by about 5 points. It will be interesting to see just how accurate this is.

Why did we choose to have the ball on the first kickoff, with it pouring down raining? Then there is a fumble. Defense holds; FG kicker misses. We dodged a bullet.

They just keep finding new ways to give away football games. Richmond is clearly the best team out there, except for the brain farts. That will teach Huesman not to go for it, he with his Durden-vanilla offense...

Reactions: SpiderK
I just knew ever since Rocco left we would be royally ****ed. Huesman is the most disjointed coach/coaching staff I’ve ever seen.

Let's see if they learned anything from the Villanova game, when sitting on the ball backfired...

We’ve scored twice and crickets! Our fan base ain’t much better. Me included
Towson and Delaware, at home, and Hens struggling severely with QB out for season, are winnable.

For a disappointing season, finishing at WM with a chance to record a winning season, derail their championship hopes, and taking the win lead in our rivalry are certainly worth rooting for. I'm all in and sure you are too.

We can do this!

Reactions: spiderhawk111
Good win on the road. However, to be clear, this was against a bottom feeder and is not worth an extension (in case Hardt is reading this)

Reactions: Mo 2.0
Punting in the heavy rain on a 4th and 1 from the 50 with 16 sec.Dumb and Dumber.
Nice to get a win. We are such a different team with Joe at QB. Nearly every team's production would suffer without their starting QB, but it is pretty inexcusable for us to put up 10, 7, and 3 points without Joe. There is too much talent elsewhere on our offense, and this falls directly on our coaches.
Speaking of coaching, we were way too conservative at the end of the 1st half. We had all the momentum, and then played it way too safe there. We have 5 losses and no chance at the playoffs, so why not show the team you have some confidence in them and go for it there? Not only go for it on 4th and a foot, but go for it with just inside a minute left so we have a chance for more points instead of letting the clock tick down to 14 seconds. If they stop us on 4th and a foot (and I doubt they would have), our defense was playing well enough to get another stop. But, even then, after letting the click tick down since NH did not call TO, you still have to go for it with 14 seconds left, especially in those conditions. Worst case is they have it at midfield with about 8 or 9 seconds left. But, if we get the first down, maybe we have it in or near FG range. It's just mistake after mistake with this staff.

And, how about being out of timeouts with 6 minutes left in the game? How can you not be prepared to go for 2 with 9 minutes left after scoring to go up 5? It's just mind boggling that you send the PAT team out, and then have to call a timeout because, it took you that long to figure out we need to go for 2 there. While we have the ball, BEFORE the go ahead TD, everyone should already know and be prepared that we are going for 2 if we sore the TD. It's just inexcusable.

Last edited:

Richmond 35, New Hampshire 21
Box Score

Joe Mancuso threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes to Aaron Dykes as Richmond (3-5, 1-4 CAA) rallied past New Hampshire, 35-21. Mancuso finished 19-of-26 passing for 291 yards and 3 TD's, while Dykes finished with 129 all-purpose yards. Richmond built a 17-7 advantage in the second quarter as Mancuso ran in from three yards out and hit Leroy Henley with a 30-yard scoring pass. However, New Hampshire (3-5, 2-3 CAA) took advantage of a miscue on a Spiders' punt and Bret Edwards lofted a 24-yard TD pass to Brian Espanet to cut the deficit to three at halftime. The Wildcats took their first lead of the game on Brody McAndrew's 7-yard scoring run early in the third period. With UR trailing 21-20, Mancuso connected on a 58-yard TD pass to Dykes with 9:54 left and the duo connected again from 28 yards away with 3:44 remaining. Isaac Seide ran for a career-high 75 yards and a TD to lead the UNH offense. Defensively, Tyler Dressler recorded 15 tackles and 2.0 TFL's and Tristan Wheeler had 11 stops and 2.5 TFL's. Josiah Silver recorded nine tackles and 2.5 TFL's for UNH.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT