ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Richmond Spiders Football - Prologue - Delaware

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

hard to believe that after my high hopes for a Championship/Playoff contending season all we have to play for Saturday is a chance for a winning season and .500 record versus former coach Danny Rocco...at least the flickering Blue Hen's chances rest on the outcome of this game too...

on paper it sure seems like this one will be a defensive slugfest...the Hens have a still developing QB as a result of injury...the Spiders offense has been trending upward since the return of Joe Mancuso but still put only two TDs on the board versus Towson...the defenses of both squads have been stout most of the season...UR has added QB pressure to its run stopping forte in the last two wins with 13 sacks...

Senior Day will also be celebrated Saturday ...I'm not sure how many of the 32 6th, 5th and 4th year players on the roster will be making their final appearance in a Spiders uniform, but they'll be the first group in quite some time never to have experienced the FCS Playoffs in their stay at UR...sad....here's to them for hanging in there through several tough years and COVID-19 to boot...winning Saturday in their final appearance at The Brick House would be a good send off towards the Indians in W-burg...

enjoy the Prologue...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Stork3 and Mo 2.0
Conflicted here. Obviously I want my Spiders to win, especially for the kids. But if they win out the last 4 games Huesman will be back for sure.

Conflicted here. Obviously I want my Spiders to win, especially for the kids. But if they win out the last 4 games Huesman will be back for sure.

I really think he’s a goner regardless Rick. U r not going to give a coach on expiring contract a 1 year extension makes no sense. And a multi year extension is unfathomable. The only way would be if Hardt already secretly extended him in past. Tho that would mean we have ceased being an athletic department & turned into a full blown Charity.

Reactions: Eight Legger
was afraid to type anything during the game for fear of jinxing it. But damn it is always great to pummel Rocco. See that Danny brought his typical “big game” plan. We kicked butt and played hard.

Sitting at 5-5 right now. Beating W&M isn't going to happen I feel like. Cause they won't beat JMU tonight. Which means they are due next week for a Win.

The man takes some serious licks here. Not overly fond of many calls, many times, but how did Durden do today?

Reactions: LA Mike
If the outcome of the WM game determines whether Huesman comes back or not, I hope we lose.

Thought Durden play calling was better for most part. I just wish Joe’s touch on few long passes
would have been better. Last few games we have just missed some wide open ones. Our OL was much better
yesterday and protected well.

On defense our secondary is young on corners and give up too many big plays. That is our weakness and
that is why we allow too many big plays and quick strikes. Our front seven is very similar to the 2008 team
and has gotten stronger as season went on. #10 has done great job replacing Xavier Marshall

Reactions: urfan1
Great win for the guys in front of their families! If only we could put together a full season. We either start strong and lose out at the end (2019), or finish strong when it doesn't matter. I always feel sorry for the guys graduating without ever being in the playoffs.

Great win for the guys in front of their families! If only we could put together a full season. We either start strong and lose out at the end (2019), or finish strong when it doesn't matter. I always feel sorry for the guys graduating without ever being in the playoffs.
We only get a full season with a healthy Joe M. He is a legit good QB. We are 2 different teams - one with him & one w/out him. I said before & still believe if he'd have played the entire Tech game, then we'd have beaten Tech. Joe can put up points. Without him, points were a struggle.

Next year no Joe. Hope the younger guys develop quickly.

Agree with you on the playoff emptiness. Just think it's time for a leadership change to make this happen. Playing year in & year at around .500 or so doesn't cut it.

not a good post

why. Seems 8 legger is just taking the long term over short term view.

Tho personally I don’t think the outcome has any bearing on Huesman retention...if Richmond still puts any value on the football program.

Reactions: whampas
Team played a very good game yesterday. Nice to see us take it to Mr. Vision.

Reactions: urfan1
Reality is that we’re good enough to beat the bad teams but not good enough to beat the good teams. I was hopeful that we had climbed higher than that but we’ve been mid-pack for several years. We have so much going for us and a good amount of talent but can never seem to put it all together. I’d like to think that we truly want to be back in the postseason but the AD doesn’t seem to care.

why. Seems 8 legger is just taking the long term over short term view.

Tho personally I don’t think the outcome has any bearing on Huesman retention...if Richmond still puts any value on the football program.
No AD with half a brain would determine whether we fire or keep a coach who has been on the job for five years based on the results of one game.

That said, I'm not sure if the above descriptor applies to Hardt. I'd just as soon win, let Huesman go out on a high, and then hire somebody new.

No AD with half a brain would determine whether we fire or keep a coach who has been on the job for five years based on the results of one game.

That said, I'm not sure if the above descriptor applies to Hardt. I'd just as soon win, let Huesman go out on a high, and then hire somebody new.

Agree but that wasn’t the hypothetical.

Hardt is not in charge.PQ is.Hardt’s the front man.

I can see the scenario where if we have another bad OOC loss in MBB that we fire Russ. And then we claim that we can’t move on in both sports in the same year because that would send the wrong message about the department.

I can see the scenario where if we have another bad OOC loss in MBB that we fire Russ. And then we claim that we can’t move on in both sports in the same year because that would send the wrong message about the department.
I hope that is only a theory...would be BS politics for it to unfold that way, but I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't unfold that way...

Don't believe we are that clever.

If we were, either our football or basketball team would have made the NCAA playoffs sometime within the past 5 years.

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
can I like that and still advocate for firing Durden? I still think Durden is holding us back.

ADVERTISEMENT