ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Richmond Spiders Football - Countdown - Lehigh University

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

game two for the Spiders who will be stepping up in competition against this Patriot League team who's predicted in preseason to finish 4th in their league after an 0-3 spring season...unless we stumble badly against Howard we should be significant favorites....

it's also game two for the former Engineers, now Mountain Hawks,...Lehigh opens against powerful Villanova at home on September 4...

do you remember the one game history we have with Lehigh?...it's hard to forget!

interestingly the Hawks hold an esteemed place in college football history...

we need to be 2-0 going to Villanova on September 18...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: 32counter
FCS College Football 2021: Patriot League Preview https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/08/fcs-college-football-2021-patriot-league-preview/

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don’t think they have recovered. Hope I’m wrong. I’m not sure why they are listed, maybe lazy maybe something else.

If there is a game Spiders should pound the ball up the middle, this is it. Our OL is 6-4 312 avg and
Lehigh is 6-3 257. Trouble for us is no 220+ bruising running back to go with size difference.

Reactions: urfan1

Lehigh at Richmond​

1. Turning the page

It wasn’t the opening day Lehigh was looking for coming off a winless spring, but the Mountain Hawks are moving forward.
“When you look back at the film, it’s never as good as you think it is and it’s never as bad as you think it is after the game on Saturday,” Lehigh coach Tom Gilmore said. “I saw some positives and things that we did well. We just didn’t do them consistently. The biggest things that jump out are the things we all saw Saturday. You can’t turn the ball over six times and you have to tackle better.”
Gilmore emphasized that the turnovers were not takeaways: “They were giveaways,” he said. “We have to take much better care of the ball.”
Lehigh head coach Tom Gilmore, seen on the sidelines at Lafayette, last April, is looking forward to better things for his Mountain Hawks after a 47-3 season-opening loss to Villanova.

Lehigh head coach Tom Gilmore, seen on the sidelines at Lafayette, last April, is looking forward to better things for his Mountain Hawks after a 47-3 season-opening loss to Villanova. (DAVID GARRETT / Special to The Morning Call)

2. Tackling the problem

Gilmore prides himself on his teams playing good defense and even in an 0-3 spring schedule, the defense was stout. But the effort against Villanova was disappointing and led to 506 total yards by the Wildcats, including 275 on the ground.
“A lot of them weren’t particularly difficult,” he said. “On their longest run of the day, all we had to was wrap up. The runner was stopped at or near the line of scrimmage. We lost leverage a couple of times. That’s not a lack of effort. Those things are correctable.”
Liberty High graduate and defensive tackle Trevor Harris, who had three stops, agreed.
“We have definitely flipped the next page,” he said. “Our loss to Villanova came down to mental breakdowns. We need to get 11 hats to the ball on defense. If we do that, we can get the offense the ball and we know they’re capable of good things.”

3. Seeing the CAA

The Colonial Athletic Association is considered one of the top FCS-level leagues in the nation and a lot of them look the same. Harris sees similarities between Richmond, which is coming off a 38-14 win over Howard, and Villanova.
“They remind me a lot of Villanova with big guys up front and a strong all-around quarterback,” he said. “They have a two-back rotation. They remind me a lot of Villanova which is good because we’ve just seen Villanova and know what to prepare for. We’ve just got to prepare like we never have before.”

4. Road trip

Lehigh hasn’t played a game outside the Lehigh Valley since late in the 2019 season: at Sacred Heart in Connecticut. The Mountain Hawks three games in the spring were all in the area with the one road contest at Lafayette.
It’s a lengthy bus ride to Richmond, but Lehigh is embracing the journey.
“Getting away and getting totally focused on the game can be a positive for this team,” Gilmore said. “I’m looking forward to it and I think most of our players are as well. We have a lot of hope moving forward. We’re playing quality opponents early in the season, but we have to focus on the long run. We’re not going to go undefeated, but a lot of our goals are still within reach.”

5. Entering the Spiders web again

Lehigh and Richmond have met just one time before and that was in the 1998 NCAA playoffs when the Mountain Hawks were No. 14 seeds and stunned the No. 3 seeded Spiders 24-23 on Jaron Taafe’s 30-yard field goal with three seconds left in regulation. Current Notre Dame-Green Pond coach Phil Stambaugh led Lehigh 56 yards on 10 plays for the game-winning score after Richmond took a 23-21 lead with 1:18 left. Stambaugh was 26 of 37 passing for 281 yards and a TD.

Bus ride from Bethlehem,Pa to UR is 5 1/4 hours on a good day without problems not necessarily on a Friday afternoon taking I-95 between DC and Richmond.

The season premiere of Behind The Web with head football coach Russ Huesman is set for this Thursday, September 9, airing from noon-1pm live on 106.1 ESPN, richmondspiders.com and espnrichmond.com. This week's player guest is redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Marlem Louis, who recovered a fumble and recorded a career-high three tackles, including one for loss, in the Spiders' season and home-opening 38-14 victory over Howard.

The weekly program will begin the season virtually, as an in-studio-style show. It is co-hosted by Voice of the Spiders Bob Black and Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Matt McCollester. Listeners and fans are encouraged to interact with the show, anytime, by submitting questions and comments online.

Email: behindtheweb@richmond.edu
Text: 804-638-9508
Tweet: @spidervoice
@espnrichmond
@Spiders_FB
@SpiderAthletics

Last edited:
UR v Lehigh history

Lehigh holds 1-0 series lead

1998 Playoff game won on a FG at UR Stadium.UR was #3 seed.

Full game:

1998 Team:

Awards and honors
  • First Team All-America – Marc Megna (Walter Camp, The Sports Network, Associated Press)
  • Second Team All-America – Winston October (The Sports Network)
  • First Team All-Atlantic 10 – Eric King, Marc Megna, Paris Lenon, Winston October
  • Second Team All-Atlantic 10 – Chris Anderson, Joe Douglas
  • Third Team All-Atlantic 10 – Eric Beatty, Mac Jahney, Jasper Pendergrass
  • Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year – Marc Megna
  • Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year – Jim Reid

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo-spider
UR v Lehigh history

Lehigh holds 1-0 series lead

1998 Playoff game won on XP at UR Stadium.UR was #3 seed.

Full game:

1998 Team:

Awards and honors
  • First Team All-America – Marc Megna (Walter Camp, The Sports Network, Associated Press)
  • Second Team All-America – Winston October (The Sports Network)
  • First Team All-Atlantic 10 – Eric King, Marc Megna, Paris Lenon, Winston October
  • Second Team All-Atlantic 10 – Chris Anderson, Joe Douglas
  • Third Team All-Atlantic 10 – Eric Beatty, Mac Jahney, Jasper Pendergrass
  • Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year – Marc Megna
  • Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year – Jim Reid
ugh! will never forget staring into that late autumn sun as they marched down the field for that FG...had forgotten that we were a #3 seed...ugh!

Go Spiders!

In my mind, I always condense it down into an alternate reality.

I always see it as a blocked extra point run back to field goal range.

Don't know how that image got in my head...

From 2 hours 43 minutes in shows what actually happened.

I had not remembered how good Jasper Pendergras was -- sure would like to have a 230 lb bruiser back on this team.
Our backfield runners were sized at 230 Lbs(Pendergass), 240 Lbs(Snider),respectively.We outsized them dramatically In 1998.

Last edited:
Mancuso with a boneheaded play giving Lehigh 3 points. Not sure what he was thinking as he was tackled by two defenders with other in pursuit of Garcia why he pitched it, but he did.

Reactions: URTOM68
So we win 31-3. We have won 5 of our last 6. Mancuso passed for 131 and ran for 60+ more.

It appears we might be decent, although I'm sure someone will counter that by finding something negative about a 31-3 victory.

Haven't watched a ton of either game but it seems like we've done what we should have done against bad competition. That's encouraging. Next week will be a real test.

Reactions: mojo-spider
So we win 31-3. We have won 5 of our last 6. Mancuso passed for 131 and ran for 60+ more.

It appears we might be decent, although I'm sure someone will counter that by finding something negative about a 31-3 victory.
Brown is a terrible uniform color.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT