ADVERTISEMENT

Tomas Verbinskis - 2017 Signee

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Same school as Joe Kirby. Lithuanian kid, seems to be about 6'6".

little concerned with the 16.7% from 3 and 58.3% from the line, but it's a small sample. Coach knows best.

Lithuania has good basketball and Tomas made their national team for his age group; this may mean something.

Look whose name has popped back up after a year of silence...

Tomas has a sweet looking left-handed shot. He is #1 in the video. OSC

At 180-200 pounds depending on source, he's not going to be a PF.

Thanks Mite. Verbal commits is usually up to date but I suppose not only. Glad we are not the only school with a line in the water for this kid. That usually is a bad sign. Not that FCGU and Valpo are schools that we should be recruiting against.

Tomas may play power forward in the A10. For example, the case of Tyler Polley a teammate of Tomas and a 6'7" 210 poind power forward who committed to UConn. OSC

Homecoming weekend, that's a great time to come in.
No doubt. Hope Tomas commits this weekend. That would make three 3-star commits two years in a row, plus Bryce Schneider. Don't think we've ever had back-to-back classes like that. OSC

I was at practice on Thursday. Saw who I believe was Tomas and his parents - he looked like the guy in the video posted earlier on this thread. On video and in person, he looks like he's a pretty strong kid. Had to avoid him, of course... don't want to make the NCAA mad... but he watched practice intently and seemed to have a good time talking with DeMonte. Keep your fingers crossed.

I was at practice on Thursday. Saw who I believe was Tomas and his parents - he looked like the guy in the video posted earlier on this thread. On video and in person, he looks like he's a pretty strong kid. Had to avoid him, of course... don't want to make the NCAA mad... but he watched practice intently and seemed to have a good time talking with DeMonte. Keep your fingers crossed.

Do we have an open scholarship left to offer him at this point?

Odd, he was supposed to be at Valpo yesterday.

We do have one more 'ship left for next year, but it would leave none for 2018 barring a departure.

Some thoughts on Thomas:
I suppose one option, if we really like Thomas, and think he can play the PF position, is to offer him and bring him on. He would very likely not be competing with Bryce Golden for playing time at Center in 2018-2022.. And, that would give us a year to see if another player might transfer out.

A year is a long time and one player turning over in a year would not be at all surprising. We could continue to recruit Bryce too. However, this should only happen if Thomas is REALLY good, and likely to start. Otherwise, I would keep the spot open for 2018, and reserve it for Bryce, and be sure to have some good Plan B and Plan C guys to consider at center, since we would be recruiting only one player. Thomas and Bryce could both be future Spiders in one or two positive scenarios. To offer or not could be a tough decision for the coaching staff...

I would not expect us to hold a spot for Bryce as much as we'd like to have him. If there's a good guy available and interested in UR who can play 4 or 5 then we need to take his commitment.

If Bryce is legitimately interested, UR will find a spot for him.

Think Cayo took his spot. Need to save the last spot for either a true big man or a prospect that is just too good to pass up. This kid is neither of them.

we wouldn't have had him come after the Cayo verbal if we didn't still want him.
how big was he, Stork?

Per my wife who saw them walking together, he's almost mooney height so I think his listed 6'7" is accurate.

I'm intrigued by the way the Spiders closed out 2017. It will be interesting to see how the team does with a glut of guys 6'4-6'7. For height, it will be just Friendshuh and Golden after this next season. I guess Mooney is ready to try the Nova or Notre Dame style of play. If you can make three pointers and scrap on defense, it works pretty well. Of course these guys will need the right chemistry. I'd like to see Mooney just play everyone this year. Let these kids run and have some fun. Tighten the rotation in the last 10 minutes, but give everyone who works hard in practice a chance to be a gamer.

Reactions: iSpider and SpiderK
I'm intrigued by the way the Spiders closed out 2017. It will be interesting to see how the team does with a glut of guys 6'4-6'7. For height, it will be just Friendshuh and Golden after this next season. I guess Mooney is ready to try the Nova or Notre Dame style of play. If you can make three pointers and scrap on defense, it works pretty well. Of course these guys will need the right chemistry. I'd like to see Mooney just play everyone this year. Let these kids run and have some fun. Tighten the rotation in the last 10 minutes, but give everyone who works hard in practice a chance to be a gamer.
Agree, DukeDenver. While these guys range from 6'4" to 6'8", they play much bigger. Was at practice yesterday and can testify that Julius, DeMonte and Nick are studs. Moreover, if TJ is 6'9" then both Grant and Paul are 6'11" studs. Looking at these guys practice one gets the idea that the Spiders are actually pretty big. These guys are all BIG and STRONG. OSC

Agree, DukeDenver. While these guys range from 6'4" to 6'8", they play much bigger. Was at practice yesterday and can testify that Julius, DeMonte and Nick are studs. Moreover, if TJ is 6'9" then both Grant and Paul are 6'11" studs. Looking at these guys practice one gets the idea that the Spiders are actually pretty big. These guys are all BIG and STRONG. OSC
Ulla, did you attend the football on Saturday. My nephew and I was at practice Saturday afternoon. We talked to a couple of the players. I was impressed. I am excited for the season to start, I will be there on 11/11/16 for the VMI game!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT