ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Practice Schedule

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
University of Richmond Preseason Camp Schedule

The Spiders will hold 21 practices in the preseason camp before classes begin August 27. The first practice August 3 is slated for a 3 p.m. start on the grass fields on the Westhampton side of campus near River Road. Each practice is currently planned to take place at the Robins Stadium or the grass fields on the Westhampton side of campus, but be sure to stay tuned to RichmondSpiders.com and all other Spider Football social media platforms for and any venue or time changes. All practices will be open to the public during the preseason.

August 3 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass Fields)
August 4 – 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 5 – 9-11:30 a.m. (Grass Fields)
August 6 – 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 7 – 9-11:30 a.m. (Grass Fields) * First full pads day
August 8 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass Fields)
August 9 – No Practice
August 10 – 9-11:30 a.m. (Grass Fields)
August 11 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass Fields)
August 12 – 6-8 p.m. (Stadium) – Scrimmage
August 13 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass Fields)
August 14 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 15 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 16 – No Practice
August 17 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Grass Fields)
August 18 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 19 – 2-4 p.m. (Stadium) – Scrimmage
August 20 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass Fields)
August 21 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Grass Fields)
August 22 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 23 – No Practice
August 24 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 25 - 9-11:30 a.m. (Stadium)
August 26 – 3-5:30 p.m. (Grass)
August 27 – First Day of Classes

NOTE – Schedule subject to change

Thanks. i'll report back on things after the weekend. I really like when they are over on the grass fields. A little harder to see from a lower vantage point but much closer to the action. Seems like a healthy dose of grass this year. I suspect the games at UVA and Elon may be a little bit of a factor there. I'm not sure that we played any games on grass last year.

Saw the first practice Friday afternoon. Can't tell a whole lot with no pads; but we seem to have some fast true freshmen. The main difference I observed today was the lack of all the yelling by the coaches on defense. The players know what they are doing this year - coaches don't have to make nearly as many corrections. We are not going to get manhandled by our opponents like we did at crucial times near the beginning of last season. Several defenders have put on weight, as well. This group is going to be fun to watch. Pray for our ability to avoid injuries...

Reactions: mojo-spider
Some observations from this morning:

-I like the range i see from secondary guys. #26 Springs is going to be an all conference player sooner than later.
-We really have some great depth at linebacker. Freshmen #10 Oconnor and #35 Overstreet look like players. Hopefully we can redshirt both of them this year.
-D Line depth is probably my biggest concern with this team. The transfer from Maryland appears to be here as a situational pass rusher, like was suggested. Not sure he'll provide much more than Gershom Ejoni will in that role. We have 4 nice true frosh on the line. I'd love to redshirt all 4 but guess that 2 of them play this fall. At the moment, Talon James and Aidan Murray appear to be the most likely to play this fall, in my opinion. That could surely change during camp.
-OL: I'm encouraged by Doherty and McConnell. Both of those guys look like recruiting 'hits' from the early days of the Huesman regime. Doherty appears likely to start at a tackle position this fall. I did not see Grant Dixon out there. Anybody know where he is?
-Ben Maffe is an interesting player. We are deep at WR but i think he finds a way on the field.
-We are going to need to remember that Lauletta was an incredibly accurate passer because Johnson is not as accurate as Lauletta was the last 2 years, but there are very few guys in the country as accurate as Lauletta. It's hard to remember the benefit of Johnson's feet in a practice setting.
-Saw a couple nice boomers from the new punter, Breckenridge (that update is for you, Rick)

-I like the range i see from secondary guys. #26 Springs is going to be an all conference player sooner than later.
-We really have some great depth at linebacker. Freshmen #10 Oconnor and #35 Overstreet look like players. Hopefully we can redshirt both of them this year.
-D Line depth is probably my biggest concern with this team. The transfer from Maryland appears to be here as a situational pass rusher, like was suggested. Not sure he'll provide much more than Gershom Ejoni will in that role. We have 4 nice true frosh on the line. I'd love to redshirt all 4 but guess that 2 of them play this fall. At the moment, Talon James and Aidan Murray appear to be the most likely to play this fall, in my opinion. That could surely change during camp.
-OL: I'm encouraged by Doherty and McConnell. Both of those guys look like recruiting 'hits' from the early days of the Huesman regime. Doherty appears likely to start at a tackle position this fall. I did not see Grant Dixon out there. Anybody know where he is?
-Ben Maffe is an interesting player. We are deep at WR but i think he finds a way on the field.
-We are going to need to remember that Lauletta was an incredibly accurate passer because Johnson is not as accurate as Lauletta was the last 2 years, but there are very few guys in the country as accurate as Lauletta. It's hard to remember the benefit of Johnson's feet in a practice setting.
-Saw a couple nice boomers from the new punter, Breckenridge (that update is for you, Rick)

Mo how would you compare this years group to last years at this time of year?

Mo how would you compare this years group to last years at this time of year?

Tough call. In candor, i spent most of last August watching Lauletta and his knee and all that stuff. As compares to last year's team versus this year's team, a couple thoughts... Billy Caughell getting hurt last summer REALLY hurt our team in the early part of last season. Those linebackers are the glue to the defense and we have way better glue now than we did then. On offense, we had stars like Lauletta and Alex Light and Garrett Hudson. I think we have less 'stars' than we did last year but perhaps more overall balance. I also think having Xavier as 'the guy' in the backfield is a big help. Too much personnel switching at running back last year. I'm going to be pissed if we get back on that merry go round again.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Thanks for all the updates Mo (and others). Definitely helps August pass quickly as we wait for the opener.

Mo, great recap....thanks....any idea who will handle the kickoffs?

Go Spiders!

-

Mo,

Agree wholeheartedly.KJ’s short/medium length passes during the Spring sessions were often thrown high.
Hopefully,Aaron/Jeff will correct otherwise we’ll be vulnerable to tips and picks.

Tough call. In candor, i spent most of last August watching Lauletta and his knee and all that stuff. As compares to last year's team versus this year's team, a couple thoughts... Billy Caughell getting hurt last summer REALLY hurt our team in the early part of last season. Those linebackers are the glue to the defense and we have way better glue now than we did then. On offense, we had stars like Lauletta and Alex Light and Garrett Hudson. I think we have less 'stars' than we did last year but perhaps more overall balance. I also think having Xavier as 'the guy' in the backfield is a big help. Too much personnel switching at running back last year. I'm going to be pissed if we get back on that merry go round again.
Mo, I hope next year at this time you are referring to 2018 "stars". My point is that it seems to me that
We have been blessed to have a few players take on that role every season.
Great job on filling us in. Especially, when some us live 150 miles away. o_Oo_O

For those that have seen practices, a few more questions.
  1. How does the overall team speed look? I know the defense in particular is dependent on flying to the ball
  2. How well does Trau II kick as compared to Griffin Trau?
  3. Just as important as KJ, how does Mancuso look for we are injury away from a change there?
  4. Agree with MO about running backs, who would be our top two ? Goodall and Thompson or Collins for short yardage?
I am 300 miles away but getting tickets today for UVA and hopefully can make one at the Brickhouse.

Last edited:
Thanks MM. Good to hear about Breckenridge, hopefully they'll have him game ready in 3 weeks. Large venues and freshmen punters can get interesting.

Here are my latest observations on today's practice.

1 - Jordan Payne is at linebacker, not DB. He is often knocking the daylights out of receivers. Problem is, he is not making any friends in practice.

2 - We have great talent and depth at running back and at wide receivers.

3 - My biggest fear prior to the season is that we need to be able to keep the OL healthy. Grant Dixon decided not to come back. Joe More will have to be ready, no matter what we think at this time. McConnell and Doherty both seem to have learned their lessons well during their redshirt year. They can help us. Freshman Singleton looks thin and will benefit from a redshirt year. Coleman, Sumpter, Yarborough, and Settepani get me excited. All the tight ends can hang on to the ball; Maffe, who is a wide receiver with TE size will be a great weapon for us - great hands!

4 - I like the size, the depth, the experience, and the new talent on our defense. I still think that we need to stay healthy until some of these freshmen get up to speed. We do have freshmen who could help us this year.

5 - We will be using the new VICIS helments - the ones that were rated #1 by the NFL test in 2017 and by the NFL test in 2018. I have a link here that will show you why we are spending $1,000 per helmet per player this year. This decision by our athletic department should play well in front of the recruit, and Mom, and Dad.

https://vicis.com/videos/

Last edited:
Thanks so very much for the update.

Payne is a hitter no doubt.Went to Pace.Same School as KJ.Caughill once he got injured last year took Payne under his wing and said everyone should keep their eyes on this kid for his potential.He wasn’t kidding.Only a freshman.

With lack of depth on OL wouldn’t be surprised If Yarborough ends up somewhere other than center. Singleton has a very long way to go to
get to a sufficient enough weight at our level of football.Joe More is the better player and much bigger in any case.No surprise if the PWO(Seekford,Snavely) get a chance here especially with new redshirt rule.They each have a center’s physique.

While it appears we have depth at RB,many of the RBs were out injured/dinged for some extended parts of last season.

Really want this team to do well but must admit a sense of trepidation unlike other years.

Last edited:
Really want this team to do well but must admit a sense of trepidation unlike other years.

I think this is fair.

The revelation that Dixon isn't here certainly hurts. My guess is that he say Doherty passing him on the depth chart and didn't want to bother with it. Seems to me that Coleman and Doherty start at Tackle and More is sort of in the 'swing' position backing up the two of them. More has good size and has the looks of a very good player but it's a lot to ask from a true freshman.

My guess is that they'd really like to see enough from McConnell to start him at Center and slide Yarbrough to one of the guard spots (or even Tackle) but that may be a lot to ask of such a young guy too. Some really nice young talent but short on experience together.

Offensive line is going to be interesting to watch evolve through camp.

Thanks so very much for the update.

Payne is a hitter no doubt.Went to Pace.Same School as KJ.Caughill once he got injured last year took Payne under his wing and said everyone should keep their eyes on this kid for his potential.He wasn’t kidding.Only a freshman.

With lack of depth on OL wouldn’t be surprised If Yarborough ends up somewhere other than center. Singleton has a very long way to go to
get to a sufficient enough weight at our level of football.Joe More is the better player and much bigger in any case.No surprise if the PWO(Seekford,Snavely) get a chance here especially with new redshirt rule.They each have a center’s physique.

While it appears we have depth at RB,many of the RBs were out injured/dinged for some extended parts of last season.

Payne, KJ, and Coleman all played together at Pace. When KJ was there, Coleman was the starting left tackle and Payne was a wheel type of player on defense. Coleman's senior year, he moved to center and started there, while Payne continued at the wheel backer.

I think this is fair.

The revelation that Dixon isn't here certainly hurts. My guess is that he say Doherty passing him on the depth chart and didn't want to bother with it. Seems to me that Coleman and Doherty start at Tackle and More is sort of in the 'swing' position backing up the two of them. More has good size and has the looks of a very good player but it's a lot to ask from a true freshman.

My guess is that they'd really like to see enough from McConnell to start him at Center and slide Yarbrough to one of the guard spots (or even Tackle) but that may be a lot to ask of such a young guy too. Some really nice young talent but short on experience together.

Offensive line is going to be interesting to watch evolve through camp.

Putting myself in Dixon's shoes, why train all summer then not report for camp? It defies logic...

Coach Ross rotates players from position to position much more than Coach McCorkle did, but it makes sense when you have a younger, less experienced group. Having a center in Yarbs who can play guard and tackle will make playing seven lineman much easier. Asking freshmen and RS-freshmen to contribute is a big ask, but I have faith in Doherty and McConnell being ready to go. Also, it would be great to keep More under that four game limit if possible.

I hope to be at practice soon and will report back with the latest.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Today's Practice:
  • Amazing one handed catch by Dejon Brissett in the end zone
  • Kickoffs were a major part of practice. Huesman was riding the players hard about making the play.
  • Long throw for touchdown KJ to Cortrelle Simpson
  • Defensive backs looked sharp
  • Mancuso and KJ were throwing well
  • Don't remember seeing any QB runs
  • It's an easy life without 2 a day practices

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT